Service provider compatability

This is a discussion on Service provider compatability within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello Everyone! I'm new to the forums here so first let me say hi and pleasure to join the group. I have been looking into ...

Thread: Service provider compatability

Service provider compatability

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forums here so first let me say hi and pleasure to join the group.

I have been looking into getting an android phone for quite some time now, but keep running into the same problem. I'm not sure whether certain phones will work with my service provider. Currently living in the Dominican Republic and using "Claro." Here is their information from Wikipedia.

"Claro Dominicana have services over CDMA 1xEV-DO in 800/1900 MHz, GSM/GPRS/EDGE in 850/1900 MHz, and since August 7, 2007 has 3G UMTS/HSDPA service in the 850 MHz band (Wikipedia)."

Would love to purchase the Nexus S, but am not clear as whether or not the 3g service will work.

Thank you for all of your help, greatly appreciated.

-Michael

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The Nexus S won't work on any CDMA network...at least until it hits Sprint in the US. It's a GSM phone, and the technology is not interchangeable. Sorry man

Thanks for the help man. Have another question though. I'm my initial post, i the ifo i got from Wikipedia says that Claro does use GSM. Am I reading that incorrectly or just not understanding it properly? Thanks again for all the help.

Ya know, I'm not sure who read it wrong. I've never heard of a carrier that uses both technologies before. It looks like they use CDMA for voice, and GSM for data....which is frankly, odd. You might want to contact them for the most current info just to be sure. Come back here after you talk to them, and we'll take another shot.

Here's Claro's 'smartphone; line-up..although it looks low-end to me, the frequencies used look familiar(3G, no 4G):
    Claro ? Equipos Android
    Compare those to the Nexus S listed frequencies, but even then you're taking a chance, so be prepared to switch or resell the phone if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

Thank you both.

Alpha: I see on the link you posted for Claro that their 3g phones are using 850 and 1900 for 3g service.

The nexus s specs i have come across say:
    quad-band 850, 900, 1800, 1900
    tri-band HSPA 900, 2100, 1700

Which band do i need to be looking at, which relates to 3g?

Sorry if this is newb stuff...

Thanks again.

I wish I knew more about this topic! Looking at those specs, it may not even get 3G (HSPA) in your area..only 2G/EDGE. I think that's be a dealbreaker in my mind. Shame, because I'm seeing it is an awesome phone! :|

I still think your best bet is to call Claro and see what their latest offerings are wrt 3G service, or if 4G is available or in the works. Good luck!

They do have 3g, just not a 100% sure if their 3g will work with that phone. From the specs i posted in my initial post, they say their 3g is in the 850 Mhz band. Where i get confused is between the bands for 3g vs. regular (Edge) service. Also, about quad band and tri band as i mentioned up above as well.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links