Will dead battery, boot phone to Bootloader screen?

This is a discussion on Will dead battery, boot phone to Bootloader screen? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; My husband called me from work last night, on someone elses phone because he said he went to turn on his Nexus S, and it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will dead battery, boot phone to Bootloader screen?

Will dead battery, boot phone to Bootloader screen?

My husband called me from work last night, on someone elses phone because he said he went to turn on his Nexus S, and it came up with some "unlock bootloader" sreen. He pulled the battery, and tried to re start phone and NOTHING!

When he got back to his car, plugged it into the charger and it seemed to turn on, The battery was down to 0.

So, can a dead battery cause the phone to boot to that screen? I though it kinda odd, but I did not see it, only from what he told me?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The bootloader is the first think to kick in on the phone, and if you don't have enough power to go any further, then I would say yes it's possible to only get that far. However, I've never seen a phone boot into bootloader on it's own, but I have seen my wifes phone boot into recovery on it's own. The unlocked bit is bit concerning, because unless you know that the phone is unlocked, that CANNOT happen on it's own (it's a security feature for Android).

I would try and see which screen your husband actually saw.
    Bootloader: white screen, with 3 androids at the bottom
    Recovery: black screen with green, blue text

Also, confirm the unlocked bit...

Ya maybe it was just bootloader, not sure about the unlock.. I'll ask when he wakes up.

Just thought it was odd to boot to something so strange to the average user.

On my Pre, if there is no battery, it just does not boot, till plugged in to charge..

Typically, if there's no power, the phone won't boot. If there's a little bit, it may start to boot, but only get so far along the journey. The auto shut off for low power is part of the system, so if it doesn't boot the system, it won't auto shut off.

You have to be somewhat careful, because batteries are semi intelligent, and if there's no power for the intelligence in the battery, the phone will not recognize, and will not charge it. It's also very bad for the battery to completely drain it (hence the auto shut off)...

ok he is up..

It was a black screen, with lots of tiny white text, and said unlock bootunloader?

and a white padlock icon, that did nothing..

Any ideas?

You mean like this?
    This can only occur if you hook the phone up to a computer that has fastboot installed, and then you have to type in specific commands...

Did he leave his phone alone on his desk, or something?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes,. I believe thats what he saw, but the phone was in his pocket all night. He is a bus driver at Disney World, and goes from his car to the bus, then to the break room where he first took it out of his pocket to call me as he does every night. What he did say, is he thought it odd that he left for work, with at least a 1/2 charged battery, and was not sure how it could have drained so fast..

Hmmm, think the device is defective, or was tampered with? We got it directly at the Sprint store, and it was in a sealed box, opened in front of us with the sales agent doing it, and setting it up

Should he return it?

In order to get it to that screen, the device needs to be tampered with. Is it possible that it happened before he went to work? Maybe at home, or maybe your son did it?

That screen only pops up when you issue a very specific command via fastboot, and only at the moment the command is entered...

Nope , he called me on the way to work, and it was fine. Son was away for the night, had left way before husband left, and frankly son is clueless to anykind of hacking stuff, he keeps trying to bribe ME into rooting his phone. He is good with apps and games, but not tech stuff.

Hmm quite the little mystery here..

Yeah - I've put some feelers out on other sites to see if anyone else has experienced this...

Very bizarre!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links