Saving apps to the phone from a computer

This is a discussion on Saving apps to the phone from a computer within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Thank you for everything, much appreciated !! I amended my post above to give you an update, I'm sure we'll be back at this tomorrow ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Saving apps to the phone from a computer

Thank you for everything, much appreciated !! I amended my post above to give you an update, I'm sure we'll be back at this tomorrow !
    Take care

Me too--will be available later tomorrow

If you had no other other problems with Market downloads before--just temporary lack of connection

If you mounted your phone thru usb--your files should be on root of sdcard unless they are not being seen by phone for some reason

Assume you are not rooted--I am, so some things may not be the same as on my phone--and may hinder my help

If you have Market dl issues go into settings/apps/manage apps/all--find Market and clear cache and data then go back to homescreen and reopen Market
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Shamal View Post
    We did just that as you describe, it downloaded ( we think ) and we got this error message
    A network error has occurred, Retry or cancel and go back to the previous screen. We clicked on Retry.
    OK it's back in the phone with exactly the same issues as described.
    Thank you for all your time and effort, we don't have a clue what to do?!
    Rugmankc asked about rooting, we are certain we've not done that, although I've read about it many times in this forum. We are not sure if we need to do that?
    You don't need to and need to get very up on phone itself first--rooting in of itself is a challenge

Have a good nite
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Thank you for your last post, I accomplished the market task you suggested, clearing the cache. I noticed there are 3 apps in there, including the much elusive Astro Pro. I went back to the main page clicked on Market which was a blank screen, accepted the button and got some thumbnails of apps which I know nothing about.
    I will wait for further posts. It seems like ( in computer talk) the application is unable to post a shortcut to the desktop for the program.exe file, in order to open the program / app. Does this make sense to anyone? I downloaded an app called Inkpad and it works perfectly, is located in the main menu as it's shortcut and opens and works properly.
    I hope the cold light of Monday morning would shed some rays on this perplexing issue,, sheeesh!
    Thanks to everyone!

I am confused on your terminology in describing why you can't open the app

When you open Market there is a My App link to show apps on phone you dl'd from market. The list below it is ones to get if you want them

How did inkpad get to your homescreens and work

You should find downloaded or installed apps my pressing the center icon (mine is a white square) (your app drawer) in the lower dock on main phone screen as described by Dude

I put the apps on my screens as I described in earlier post, however you can just tap on app in app drawer to open it

Not sure why this isn't working

Where did you get phone from and can you go to a carrier store and show them issue--hard for me to understand why it is not working

I know there is a different terminology here and the phone don't work like a pc--but eyes on by someone may help

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Ok Thanks Rugman: I'm very sorry about the poor terminology, I'm kinda handy with computers, and am attempting to run and discuss this phone the same way!
    When I open the Market icon on the desktop, I get a green topped screen that shows a changing series of apps, below that is a list, which the app must get on it's own, I have not asked for them. I click on My apps, to the right, and in there are 4, Google Maps, Astro, Inkpad and Youtube, all of which I think I downloaded via the phone wireless. The only one which does not work is this Astro program, which as mentioned I uninstalled and reinstalled from the developers web site, last night, using my computer to send a Gmail link to my phone. It still does not work, but as mentioned shows here, under the application manger tab in settings. In that location there are 3 apps, Astro, Inkpad and Market, so I'm assuming some apps don't appear in there because they are Google specific?

I simply downloaded Inkpad, because I needed to make a few notes in the phone, and could not figure out if there was a word processor on board. I think it put itself on the homescreen, I don't know how to put it there manually. That was done before this Astro install attempt. One last thought: Is there some application that puts a shortcut to the home screen for each app that is downloaded, like a pc install that asks for a shortcut to be put on the desktop??
    When I bought the phone, the guy at the kiosk did not know much more than me about the phone,,, really. My 17 year old is wicked smart and can't figure this out, he has read all these emails too. He runs a Blackberry, this is all new to him. I gonna find a Nexus user and show this issue. We believe otherwise, the device is working perfectly.
    Thanks you so much for all your time, will reply when solution found.

The list is apps you can buy or dl, some are free. You can also filter by selecting Apps/Games. The list on the main screen are featured apps. Tap on the Apps icon above the list on left side and you will get a lot of choices. Just a learning curve with a touchscreen as opposed to mouse.

My apps is only what you downloaded from market

Don't worry about terminology, takes awhile. I use to google them to figure it out.

Go to Menu/Settings/Applications and check the Unknown souces box, you need that checked to dl apps other than from the market--maybe your Astro issue. The basic Astro is free thru the market. On the Market main screen at top is search box to find apps

Blackberry and Andoid are very different--had BB's for many years

No wordprocessor unless you buy one like docs to go

I like AKNotepad from Market--it exports notes to sdcard and you can import. Combined with Catch it becomes auto syncing to their cloud and available on line to see.

Did you not try my method of putting apps on your phones homecreens.

Longpress on a blank area of screen you want app on
    When white screen comes up, tap on shortcuts
    then Applications
    scroll down list and tap on app you want to put on screen
    it will appear on screen
    you can open and use it from there by tapping on it

If you longpress on an app on screen and don't take finger off of it you can move it to another location on that screen

When you get your screens set you can use MyBackUp Pro from Market to backup call logs/homescreens/settings/playlists etc. Just don't do calendar and gmail since that will sync auto when you sign in

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Thanks for the notes. I have the Unknown Sources checked, We did that right away when we got the phone.
    The longpress blank screen to bring up Add to Home Screen menu / Shortcuts, does not have the Astro in the apps list, again another confirmation of this issue we are struggling with.

Uninstall the Astro you have thru settings/applications/manage applications/all

Then redownload thru the market getting the free app

when you open market just use the search tool at top and type in astro

it will list the apps and get the free one for now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links