Nexus S - a few questions

This is a discussion on Nexus S - a few questions within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi there, I'm new I'm thinking about investing in my first smart phone, with a giffgaff SIM card which I'll top up 10 a month ...

Thread: Nexus S - a few questions

Nexus S - a few questions

Hi there, I'm new

I'm thinking about investing in my first smart phone, with a giffgaff SIM card which I'll top up 10 a month to get unlimited texts & web.

So far I've been looking around and the Nexus S seems to be one of the best phones on the market right now.

I've found one for 200, used but in perfect condition.

Obviously I'm a bit of a noob, but the price seems great.

The phone has been rooted though - I am aware this will have voided the warranty but is there anything I should know about it?

- Does 'rooting' remove any features or handicap the phone in any way?
    - Can 'rooting' be reversed?
    - What are the advantages of a 'rooted' Nexus S
    - Do you think 200 is a good price, or will that be standard soon?
    - Would you recommend the phone as my first smart phone?

Thanks guys. Look forward to hearing your answers

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yes I believe the nexus S is a good smartphone and would be fine as a first phone.

Now rooting rooting is hacking so you can mod the original software provided with the phone. This means you can flash custom ROMs to the phone these are modded versions of android. There is allot you can learn about rooting and the possibilities are endless once you have root access. Now yes rooting can be undone and you can actually relock the bootloader which makes it like if you never rooted so you still have your warranty although you will need to execute a few fastboot commands and set up the drivers on your computer so it's not a one step process but if you just want to unroot then it's not that complicated.

Root will not handicap the phone in anyway it will actually unlock some extra features. And as for price that is a really great price and I doubt that it will ever become an average price.

Thanks.

Also - am I missing out much with the standard LCD screen? The SAMOLED screen seems tempting.

I prefer battery life over brightness if I'm honest, I've used LCD screens on phones for years and they've always been acceptable.

I think I'll be fine without the AMOLED screen, but do you guys think it really makes your experience much better? and is it worth what extra battery drains it may bring?

Thanks.

Well I prefer amoled I have a nexus one so I don't have the samoled but amoled has always been good to me and as far as battery life AFAIK amoled is actually better on battery then SLCD because the darker colors use less power because the leds are just dimmed and there for using less battery and the blacks are also better because they are just black and you can't even tell that that part of the screen is off.

Now I had both I've used amoled then slcd and back to amoled (had hardware issues with my phone :S ) and I actually think I have better battery life on the amoled now I can't say for sure cause I didn't check exactly which one was using more this is just by memory. Although maybe there was some other influential factor but I thought amoled was better.

I've read that brand new Nexus S will cost 318 pounds soon (if not already). U're the one to decide whether to buy a used 200 pounds or 318 brand new.. i think if you know the seller 200 would be a good enough price. (unless u know him/her as someone that would cheat you, of course =D )

Smile

Hello there!
    I am thinking of upgrading from my N1 to Nexus S but I have quite a few questions to be answered before I actually decide to make the move.

My questions are:
    - Is there any major hardware faults of Nexus S? For example,all N1 will have a major power button failure at some point.

- Is it a good bargain to get a second hand Nexus S for USD 475? The brand new costs USD 625 & the warranty is very limited.

- Is Nexus S as flexible as N1 in terms of firmware level operations? Like upgrading the ROM via OTA or direct through SD card & flashing recovery images or downgrading etc...

- Does Nexus S have any weird screen limitations? For example,N1 goes haywire when the two touches are along the same line,a limitation of ClearPad2000 that is used for N1.

- How durable is the physical body of Nexus S? I dropped all of my phones(N1 included) intentionally,but no case of shattered screen or internal hardware problems except a few bumps here and there. I see infinite posts about shattered LCD but that is a big no-no case for me as LCD replacements aren't available & after warranty expiration the Customer/Repair Center won't repair my phone even for a fee(bribe included).

Now N1 is the all time mighty phone with the most handsome look ever in cellphone & smartphone world but its power button issue is really freaking me out,I had to deplete all my savings to buy this one and I expect a long life but I suppose I better sell it off while I get a decent price(I'll get USD327) & the Nexus S is having some serious price drop so am thinking to move on to a more model that won't bother me or go dead soon enough. If Nexus S has some hardware issue then I might go for Galaxy S(which is far cheaper) but lets hear what you got to say.I really value all of your opinions & advices.

Thank you for your time and effort in advising me.

Smile

Ah,found some famous bugs:

- Nexus S goes dead and require a battery pull after 15 minutes of sleep down.
    (Google claims to fix this with the 2.3.4 update)
    - Nexus S fails to completely bootup/hangs on booting process. It takes several battery pulls and some hair tugging before the bootup success.
    (No official fix or word from Google & Samsung so far,seems like a hardware fault)

Oh well none is perfect but I think experts here can shade some light about these? Did any of the Nexus S owners face any of these? Are these solved already?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just bought my Nexus S few days ago and these problems are not happening on me. I am very satisfied with the phone, but the cons are there is no zoom for my camera and there isn't any LED to notify you whether there is a missed call or message. However, you can still crop ur image from the phone (the function is quite similar with a digital zoom)

I prefer the SAMOLED display to a LCD screen, as it really enhances the visual experience we ever had. In my opinion, the experience is even better than a laptop monitor.

If you compare both brand new HTC Incredible S (my brother's) with Nexus S (although HTC actually outperformed the latter), i would still prefer Nexus S for the SAMOLED.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links