what is GSM Model 1: GSM Model 2:??

This is a discussion on what is GSM Model 1: GSM Model 2:?? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; So on the google nexus s specs page it says Connectivity CDMA (850, 1900 WIMAX 2500) GSM Model 1: Quad-band GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900) ...

Thread: what is GSM Model 1: GSM Model 2:??

what is GSM Model 1: GSM Model 2:??

So on the google nexus s specs page it says

Connectivity
    CDMA (850, 1900 WIMAX 2500)
    GSM Model 1:
    Quad-band GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900)
    GSM Model 2:
    Tri-band HSPA (900, 2100, 1700)
    HSPA type:
    HSDPA (7.2Mbps) HSUPA (5.76Mbps)

I bought my phone unlocked from best buy in april. It says I have
    Herring hardware and bootloader I9020XXKA3

So what model do I have? 1 or 2? how can I tell? If I subscribe to Simple Mobile will I get 2G or 3G?
    Also, is this amoled or not? again, how can I officially tell (the black looks pretty black, but maybe its the bestskins screen protector making it darker?)

thanks!
    -gk

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    GSM 1 according to this is for the Edge service and GSM 2 is for the 3G/4G service. Those frequencies are for TMobile network if you're in the US. A quick Google search shows that Simple Mobile uses TMobile frequency bands. The CDMA is for Sprint or Verizon network. Those CDMA number with the WiMax is for Sprint's service.

If you have to put a sims card in you are using both the GSM 1 and GSM 2 bands. So you are good. CDMA phones don't use a SIMS card. Simple Mobile "simply" piggybacks off of TMobile network.

Happy Androiding.
    Androidfied.

from what I know, nexus S version 9020 (what u have) is using Super Amoled, 9023 like mine has S-LCD =(

thanks for your replies, just to be clear.
    Then my phone has BOTH model 1 and model 2 frequencies? or is that 2 different phones?
    I use it with a sim card (living outside the USA), but the phone could also be set for CDMA?
    thanks again.

S-LCD is no good? Why did they make different models? is S-LCD cheaper?

-gk

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Yes you do have both. Whenever 3g (2) is not present in the area it will switch to edge (1). You won't have the cdma as it used a different chipset. As to why s-lcd is used I'm not sure but it has a lesser color saturation than amoled screens.
    Androidfied.

cool, thanks for the clarifications. I wonder why they call it "model 1" instead of "mode 1" which would not imply a different phone modeL.
    thanks.

Cause it depends on how you look at it model of GSM 1 and model of GSM 2 (as in different forms or versions of GSM) instead of model of phone 1 and model of phone 2. Not sure if you understand?

I tried to post something earlier today, but it seems to not have worked, so here it goes again.

I am currently travelling and bought a local SIM card for my Nexus S. The internet requirements here are

3G UMTS-HSDPA 850

My USA Best Buy unlocked Nexus S, does not work in this frequency on 3G, it reverts to 2G. Just wanted to mention it since I wanst 100% sure I understood the previous explanation. I think I now understand what AndroidIsTheTruth meant.

-gk

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links