i9023 in i9020 box - have I been conned?

This is a discussion on i9023 in i9020 box - have I been conned? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; I have just bought a Google Nexus S, supposedly with the AMOLED display. Although the box is marked up with model number i9020, the phone ...

Thread: i9023 in i9020 box - have I been conned?

Question i9023 in i9020 box - have I been conned?

I have just bought a Google Nexus S, supposedly with the AMOLED display.
    Although the box is marked up with model number i9020, the phone itself is marked up as an i9023.

So, did I get the model with the AMOLED (the i9020) or the much cheaper S-LCD display model (the i9023)?

In the "About phone" menu, it just says Nexus S so that's no help.
    How can I tell for sure if I have the LED or LCD screen?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This works on the Nexus One, so give it a try...
    Install a terminal emulator, type "dmesg" and scan the results for "panel" (should appear quite a few times. The rest of the line with "panel" on it should give you a clue...

Update

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Install a terminal emulator
    Many thanks Mr Rat, that sounds interesting, as soon as I've Googled how to install it (I've only found info on .apk files so far), I'll give it a go (it's my first mobile phone).

I'm now sure it's an LCD as, in a darkened room, the blacks are grey, the LEDs would be off so would be black.

I've spoken to Samsung UK who confirm that this is not a phone for the UK market. So it appears that this major on-line supplier are selling the cheaper imports as the full AMOLED model. The boxes are sealed, the contents have i9023 paperwork and the i9023 phone, the label on the outside of the box stating i9020, is stuck over other text.

Looks like another case of 'Rip-off Britain' - I'm still waiting a response from the supplier...

To install a terminal emulator, go to the market and search for "terminal emulator"... xD

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    To install a terminal emulator, go to the market and search for "terminal emulator"... xD
    Many thanks, I didn't realise it was so simple ;-)
    There I was downloading a zip from the owners site and wondering what to do with it.

Off to work now, will try this tonight - thanks again.

Sounds like you already have your answer, anyway...

If it's only the screen that bothers you, I wouldn't worry about it too much - I don't think there's that much difference (you had to do in a darkened room to make a guess)...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links