Nexus S lost carrier connection after idling overnight…

This is a discussion on Nexus S lost carrier connection after idling overnight… within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi everyone, Newbie here, got my phone a month ago. Everything seem fine except I have been having issue with carrier network reception where my ...

Thread: Nexus S lost carrier connection after idling overnight…

Nexus S lost carrier connection after idling overnight…

Hi everyone,

Newbie here, got my phone a month ago. Everything seem fine except I have been having issue with carrier network reception where my wife’s HTC Panache would have signal but my Nexus S would be in emergency call only mode. Sometime doing a mobile network scan and re-register would fix it but mostly not, remove battery and reboot would be my next/only option. As well, when the phone goes idle overnight, some morning it would lost signal and stay that way even on my way to work where I know there are full 3G signal. Just like this morning, I had to go into airplane mode (turn off the antenna) and go back to normal mode before the phone will get signal again.

FYI...
    Firmware v2.3.4.
    Build #: GRJ22

Anyone knows what to do with this issue?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrData View Post
    Hi everyone,
    , when the phone goes idle overnight, some morning it would lost signal and stay that way even on my way to work where I know there are full 3G signal
    I have similar experiences with my Nexus S. It is worse than the Nexus One.

Sometimes going to airplane mode and back helps. Sometimes not.

If I turn on WiFi, then walk out of the signal, I have to turn off WiFi, then cycle power.

I heard there was an update to non-US phones, but that it was even buggier.

It is worse than the Nexus One. Based on my N1 experiences, it won't get a lot better unless you root and go to CM. But I put that off on my N1 until almost a year after I bought it. If there isn't a fix by Nov, I'm going CM. Only reason I'm waiting is that Oct is a travel month for me.

Carrier - AT&T
    Build - GTJ61

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Thanks for sharing your experience, Kev! Even tho it doesn't sound very optimistic but at least knowing I'm not the only one but I can't believe we're the only two within the forum who are having this issue?!

BTW, what's CM?

CM = CyanogenMod is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (Nexus S is just one of many). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.

It's a community supported ROM that works fairly well. There are Stable, Experimental, and Nightly versions available. If you are using your phone as a phone, you probably want to stay with the Stable, unless you really like being on the bleeding edge. The Experimental builds are fairly good. It's normal for Nightly builds to have major functionality to be completely broken, but you can go back a day or two

When the Nexus One first shipped, this forum was the best place to express your opinion and get help. Now there are too many places and so many non-Nexus Android devices that you have to really look around for complaints and opinions.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links