WiFi 10Xs Faster

This is a discussion on WiFi 10Xs Faster within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Wi-Fi is about to lay claim to a new frequency band that could result in speeds at least 10 times faster than what’s currently available. ...

Thread: WiFi 10Xs Faster

WiFi 10Xs Faster

Wi-Fi is about to lay claim to a new frequency band that could result in speeds at least 10 times faster than what’s currently available.

An agreement between the Wi-Fi Alliance and the Wireless Gigabit Alliance will let the Wi-Fi Alliance carve out specs and standards to support Wi-Fi operation in the 60-GHz frequency band in a bid to make Wi-Fi faster. By contrast, Wi-Fi today operates in the 2.4-GHz and 5- GHz bands.

Specifically, the move to 60 GHz could allow for speeds in the range of 1 gigabits per second to 6 gbps, in contrast to today’s theoretical maximum of 150 Mbps for 802.11n.

Source

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Joining the alliance means it's likely reality, but I think we're talking several years or more.

edit: oh, and one article mentions SHORT distances, ala bluetooth...fine for in home, but not much else. Hope that can change.

There's some pretty severe physical limitations to these kinds of frequencies. I figure the average household might need at least two repeaters to keep the signal from getting lost in walls etc.
    The 60 GHz is like a beam of light — you have to have line of sight — but you can get multi-gigabit point-to point networking speeds with it.
    In a multi-story home you would have to have perfectly angled mirrors placed around corners and stairways - LOL.

I don't see this technology taking off anywhere soon. Even in an open office space one would need to get rid of obstacles like cubicle walls etc. I wonder how they're proposing to tackle this.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links