Android Trojan Discovered: Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a

This is a discussion on Android Trojan Discovered: Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Google Android phones must be popular - they've just been targeted with their first Trojan. An SMS Trojan called Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a has already infected a number ...

Thread: Android Trojan Discovered: Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a

Android Trojan Discovered: Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a

Google Android phones must be popular - they've just been targeted with their first Trojan. An SMS Trojan called Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a has already infected a number of mobile devices, according to security firm Kaspersky Lab. Purporting to be a harmless media player application, the Trojan, once installed, actually sends out SMS text messages without the users' knowledge or consent.

The Trojan penetrates Android-based smartphones disguised as an ordinary application, says Kaspersky. Users are prompted to install a small file of around 13 KB that has the standard Android extension .APK. But once the "app" is installed on the device, the Trojan bundled with it begins texting premium rate phone numbers (those that charge). The criminals are actually the ones operating these numbers, so they end up collecting the money via charges to the victims' accounts.

Source

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

i bet it was steve jobs :rofl3:

Anyone know of an Android user who's gotten this virus?

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    Anyone know of an Android user who's gotten this virus?
    I just received (like 5 min ago) a MMS from a "ASecretAdmirer" .. with a subject saying "HEY I KNOW YOU" .. I never opened it.
    Be careful guys...

I got 3 text today with a video attached. It was called "A funny video" from The Populers. I deleted all 3 and so far, no more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

i'm spammed by SMS & MMS daily because of some Godforsaken Loopholes in my country's telecom laws..

So i'm used to deleting unknown messages

:P

But will keep an ear to the ground

I have installed AndroidSecurity "Antivirus"... is this of any good?

Then again, just refraining from opening those dubious SMS/MMS will just do the trick. For now...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

Reading the attached links, so far there's no evidence this is a virus. In other words, your phone cannot get "infected" by reading SMS or even opening any attachments. These phones are not computers.

What is being identified here is a trojan. This is a program buried inside another program that you knowingly install and give certain permissions to; then it opens and causes mischief.

In this case, Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a comes buried inside a free and yet-to-be-named media player app (currently not in the approved Android Market) that you install on your Android phone. The trojan then goes to work by sending SMS to pay numbers (example: 900 numbers) which the developers own, so they are getting paid by you.

It is actually not illegal since you installed the app and gave your permission for it to access the various functions of your phone. However the covert behavior could and obviously will be proved deceiving in court, if that ever happens. My guess is it will be killed by the developes themselves at some point.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links