Nook Color

This is a discussion on Nook Color within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Good to know! Thanks again! Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nook Color

Good to know! Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Anyone having any issues with Google Navigation?

I'm tethering GPS with my Nexus, and it works great, however, everytime I reboot, the Navigation part of Maps has disappeared from my app drawer. I have to uninstall and reinstall Maps to get it back...?

Phiremod v5 is out... xD

Just got my wife a NookColor, is there anyway to leave it stock and boot from a SD card one of these custom roms? I would like to test to see if it would work as a full tablet for me (if I buy a second one) with out messing with her stuff.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

I'm pretty sure you need Root to Boot Roms from SD
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I'd recommend getting one for yourself anyway, rooting it and enjoy what this tablet has to offer. It's a daily use tablet for me. There are plenty of roms to choose from, some are more experimental than others, so I would recommend reading up on the ones available. Two popular ones are Phiremod and Cyanogen, both are relatively stable and based off Cyanogen/2.3.3 Gingerbread.

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Anyone having any issues with Google Navigation?

I'm tethering GPS with my Nexus, and it works great, however, everytime I reboot, the Navigation part of Maps has disappeared from my app drawer. I have to uninstall and reinstall Maps to get it back...?

the recent tether GPS update appears to have fixed this issue, along with updating the icon.

Quote Originally Posted by mightytalldude View Post
    I'd recommend getting one for yourself anyway, rooting it and enjoy what this tablet has to offer. It's a daily use tablet for me. There are plenty of roms to choose from, some are more experimental than others, so I would recommend reading up on the ones available. Two popular ones are Phiremod and Cyanogen, both are relatively stable and based off Cyanogen/2.3.3 Gingerbread.
    Well I might have one today, and that being the case, and its mine, I dont mind experimenting. So question, say I root it... and get a 16gb SD card for it, can I leave the stock build on it and boot to Phiremod and Cyanogen or what ever? Second whats a goo place to read up? Third... how are you tethering to use your nexus as a GPS, does that require rooting the nexus?

Thanks!
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Most of the information you need can be found on the xda developers forum. I use a mixture of 4 sites for the information. It's been 2 months since I rooted my Nook, and haven't returned to stock, so the root process has changed since then (easier in most respects). I've heard that it's possible to have multiple builds to swap from the sd card but I haven't tried it. I use CyanogenMod pretty much exclusively now so I'll just speak for that. Here's some links that will get you going. I would recommend getting 2 micro sd cards. One for the boot sd, the other for the daily storage. I use a class 4 4GB for the boot, and a class 6 8GB for the normal use, and have plenty of space left over.

General Nook questions: [Recovery] Creating a bootable CWR mSD v3.0.1.0 (ext3 & ext4 compatible)

Nook rooting information: [ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - Page 12 - xda-developers, this will go all the way back to the early sd card flash method, up through the current creation of Clockwork Mod (Rom Manager) boot.

Phiremod information: [ROM][Mar. 18 2011] >>>>> phiremod nook V5.1 <<<<< OC Kernel | CM7 Nightly Base - xda-developers

CyanogenMod CM7 information: http://forum.cyanogenm od.com/topic/16323-cm7-discussion-of-nightlies/

Tether GPS is the program you'll need to use to do the gps. Purchase the full version if you plan on utilizing it. Download it to the Nexus first, then download it to the Nook afterwards. You'll only need to purchase it once. Both my Nook and Nexus one are on my same gmail account, so I can pull purchased apps to the Nook. The Nook is very forgiving when it comes to bricking, as it's virtually un-brickable, so if it's your first foray into rooting and alternate roms, it's probably the easiest device to do it with.

Hope this helps. :nexusx:

Edit: I played with a preview honeycomb on the nook, but as daily use device, it wasn't truly complete and a little lagging, probably because of working exclusively from the sd card (a faster class card like a class 10 will probably help) Waiting for the source to drop so there can be some proper builds done for it that work from internal memory.

You can root it with AutoNooter, and leave it pretty much stock and then just run custom ROMs from SD. The advantage is that you still have access to the B&N in-store wifi and free books. The original B&N store will still work also, whereas if you go with a custom build you will need to install the B&N (which doesn't have magazines or kids books).

Your first site to read should be NookDevs:
    Portal:NookColor - nookDevs

You can tether GPS with the TetherGPS app from the market (root not required):
    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links