What's For Dinner?

This is a discussion on What's For Dinner? within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Originally Posted by furbearingmammal Homemade or restaurant? Because if it's homemade remind me to give you a couple of rub recipes for grillin'. :D Tonight ...

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Homemade or restaurant? Because if it's homemade remind me to give you a couple of rub recipes for grillin'. :D

Tonight it's probably going to be leftover slow-cooked pork and cabbage soup.
    oh man! yes please! homemade of course :D there's no other way, honestly, otherwise i'd go broke in a week with my taste / salary combination lol

and plus, most restaurants don't like cooking it as rare as i like it... i like it practically still MOOing

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Alright, folks, time for another Fuzzy Recipe.

This is the simplest, tastiest, rub I've ever run into for beef. I've used it on bottom and top sirloin, round (when I didn't have a choice), chuck, and other FLAVORFUL cuts of beef. I'd rather have some chew and a lot of flavor than mush with no flavor.

Take equal parts paprika, freshly-cracked black pepper (an old coffee grinder will save you an arm and a leg here), kosher salt (or else it'll be too salty), and brown sugar. Mix these together, then rub liberally on the steak. Place in a container you can close or top with plastic wrap/aluminum foil, drizzle lightly with olive oil, then put in the fridge for at least two hours -- overnight is preferred, but anything less than two and you'll be wasting it. I like to indirect grill this over lump charcoal with some soaked hickory chunks for smoke and potatoes underneath to soak up the drippings.

I find a tablespoon of each of the ingredients is good for a large steak, like a chuck steak. Obviously the thicker the meat the longer you'll want to let it sit.
    wicked, alphawave7 and RayBan like this.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

holy schnikes that sounds darn good! to be honest, it was the kosher salt that got me. i live by that stuff. well, at least until my blood pressure starts to rise...thankfully i have low blood pressure so i can really "take advantage" of the subtle nuances of kosher salt :D

have you had pink hawaiian salt? oh man. sooo nice. very subtle and complex. almost better than fleur de sel from île de ré. ... ALMOST lol

definitely gonna give this one a try... thanks FBM!

+1 re: kosher salt. That's all I ever use....can't stand the "iodized" stuff!
    (I'll have to give the Hawaiian stuff a try)

Mom's chicken soup! Its pretty cold up here in wisconsin, perfect (yum).

Sent from my Ally using Android.net App

Twitter
    wwickedd
    Tonight it's sauteed shrimp with lotsa garlic and peas served over rice.

Thanks Fuzzy..the steaks are resting in the fridge for an hour now..will give them at least an hour more. The Sea Salt I use is quite strong, so I pared that back a bit but went equals on the others..just as well, as the salt in the rub was already absorbing and saturated when I put them in the fridge.
    @vuarnet As a matter of fact, I DO have those pink crystals in the cupboard...haven't unwrapped it yet, now I'm curious! :D
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Love me some sea salt. :D Haven't tried the pink, but I have tried the black. Didn't notice much different between the generic white sea salt and the black salt, but I didn't have as refined a palate then.

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Love me some sea salt. :D Haven't tried the pink, but I have tried the black. Didn't notice much different between the generic white sea salt and the black salt, but I didn't have as refined a palate then.
    Hey, I was banging 7 gram rocks and finishing them..because that's how I roll..I have one speed..one gear..go! A nice grinder helps!
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Hey, I was banging 7 gram rocks and finishing them..because that's how I roll..I have one speed..one gear..go! A nice grinder helps!
    Are we still talking salt? Or another kind of rock that one smokes... Because, well...

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links