Wifi from desktop

This is a discussion on Wifi from desktop within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Hey everyone, this isn't really android related, but it is cuz I need it for my Xoom. I have a windows XP desktop, and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi from desktop

Wifi from desktop

Hey everyone, this isn't really android related, but it is cuz I need it for my Xoom.

I have a windows XP desktop, and I need to use it's internet to be cast over wifi, so that my Xoom can read it. But I need the network to be hidden (going to "add network" will conect to it, only if you know its there). I'd preferably like it to be USB. I don't want to get a router and go from the wall to the router to the computer, I want to go from wall to computer to USB wifi output.

Anyone know of a device like this? Need a transmitter, not receiver. Ive tried searching google but keep coming up with routers. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Xoom (again, finally!!) using Tapatalk

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    All WiFi adapters are transceivers. Meaning they transmit and receive.

If you get a USB WiFi adapter you can change it in the Windows Control Panel to broadcast an ad-hoc wireless network with a hidden SSID.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Not all of them work so well, unfortunately. You can BT tether your phone to your Xoom, though.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Super Moderator/RS psychotic_penguin's Avatar
    Twitter
    @pternahan
    BT tether works great with my X and Xoom. One thing that's apparent and if anyone has used WiFi Tether or the 3G Hotspot is the lack of excessive heat, my X runs in the 80-85 degree range while tethered using BT.

Yea, but I don't want to be tethered to my phone all the time. if I'm on it, it can't transmit the data signal. I have a D1, and I do it a lot. But I don't want to become one of those people gets on VZWs radar and they start throttling me. I barely hit 2GBs in a month, but with the wifi, I know it'll jump up very soon. That and I want to play some online games on it, but need my computers fast connection instead of routing the internet thru my phone.

Dorian thanks a ton, I thought most USBs received, had no clue they transmitted. I'll pick one up tonight. Thanks for the feedback y'all

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Make sure to pick up at least a halfway reputable brand. The cheapest off brands usually have poor antenna design and poor driver support. I'd suggest a Linksys model, dlink, or netgear.

I'll attest to the cheap brands not doing a good job. Bought one awhile back and had nothing but problems with it. driver problems, and connections problems. Think I've only got it working once...
    Adding to the list of good brands... TendNet is on the lower cost side but actually run extremely well. Have only good things to say about them :-)
    Not trying to advertise for them, just very happy with them, haven't had the problems that I've occasionally even had on Netgear

Quote Originally Posted by yurdle View Post
    I'll attest to the cheap brands not doing a good job. Bought one awhile back and had nothing but problems with it. driver problems, and connections problems. Think I've only got it working once...
    Adding to the list of good brands... TendNet is on the lower cost side but actually run extremely well. Have only good things to say about them :-)
    Not trying to advertise for them, just very happy with them, haven't had the problems that I've occasionally even had on Netgear
    It's all good on the "not advertising" thing, it's an opinion, all these forums are filled with opinions regarding a specific brand, not too often are they good tho lol. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to remember that brand.

But, I went to Best Buy, and they've never heard of a Wifi USB receiver being turned in to a transmitter, to "make your desktop a wireless hotspot." I'm not questioning the validity of you guys, but it was the Geek Squad who said it, so my question is, are they full of sh*t? Or just don't know better?

If nothing works, I can use my old Apple Expressport thing I've had for four years, but it's huge and bulky and would definitely stick out, whereas the USB nic would just be sticking out the back of my computer which is against the wall, staying out of sight.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Geek Squad don't know jack $#!!.

Look up the Alpha Wireless devices. Most of the higher-end cabled adapters they offer have a hotspot feature built into the software.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I agree. Geeksquad is full of it. Soo full of it. LOL

It's a feature of every wireless adapter. A/B/G/N

Even if the driver support is horrendous, this is a feature built into Windows. So if it works at all, Windows can set it up as a "hotspot".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links