New Motorola Droid-X

This is a discussion on New Motorola Droid-X within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Hi all, just saw where Verizon is accepting orders for the new Motorola Droid-X with a 4.3" display,..1GHz CPU,...and 16 GB pre-installed SD card. Oh, ...

Thread: New Motorola Droid-X

Hi all, just saw where Verizon is accepting orders for the new Motorola Droid-X with a 4.3" display,..1GHz CPU,...and 16 GB pre-installed SD card.

Oh, and Android 2.1.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I read on PC World that Motorola installed an encrypted bootloader that makes the phone useless if rooted. Plus they added a eFuse chip which is used to verify that the software running is approved by the manufactuer. If not, the phone is rendered useless. They don't want you to upgrade to 2.2 until they are ready.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thanks for the additional info AA. I would imagine Motorola and other manufacturers are tired of replacing phones because of unsuccessful rooting attempts. If I remember correctly, Google even has installed a warning somewhere in the process that if you continue, you void the phones warranty. I think it's when you unlock the bootloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    I read on PC World that Motorola installed an encrypted bootloader that makes the phone useless if rooted. Plus they added a eFuse chip which is used to verify that the software running is approved by the manufactuer. If not, the phone is rendered useless. They don't want you to upgrade to 2.2 until they are ready.

Lojack for the X i guess. They can keep that POS, i'll keep rocking my rooted Droid1 that will be updated before VZ can get there thumb out of there rear ends an release an update for the X.

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    No matter how accurate touch screens get with their keyboards, I'll always prefer a physical keyboard, which is exactly why I'm an Ally user. I had an LG Dare for a while, and I got pretty used to texting on the touch screen, but I starting missing my Env2 very much after a while, and that's when I heard about the Ally and I knew I wanted to upgrade.

Apparently the first batch of Droid X is also already sold out.

http://www.morningci...gy/10083868.htm

The low supply of these new phones is crazy. Many people waiting for the Incredible decided to drop their preorder and go with DroidX, now anyone who wants an X will probably be stuck waiting.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Verizon won't release the update, Google will. Verizon helps to facilitate the upgrade.

I'm getting a new phone on Aug 15 (the ally just isn't powerful enough for me) Should I get the X or the incredible?

Quote Originally Posted by will123w View Post
    I'm getting a new phone on Aug 15 (the ally just isn't powerful enough for me) Should I get the X or the incredible?

You would need to compare the two of them and see which features you like best.

Price: Both are $199.

Weight: The Droid X is the same as the Ally but the Incredible is lighter.

Battery: The Droid X has a 1540 while the Incredible only has a 1300. In comparison, the Ally has a 1500.

Camera: Both have 8 megapixels but it appears that the Droid X has more options.

Processor: The Incredible has a 1 Ghz Snapdragon while the Droid X has a TI OMAP 1 Ghz.

Screen: The Incredible has a 3.7" screen while the Droid X has a 4.3".

SD Card: The Droid X comes with a 16 GB SD card and supports 32 GB. The Incredible only supports up to 16 GB but it only comes with a 2GB card (for a limited time).

Phone Memory: Both have 8 GB but the Droid X says that it has 8 GB available for Apps, Emails, and Messages while the Incredible says actual available is less than 8 GB.

The Droid X can also be used as a 3G hotspot for up to 5 devices.

If it was me, I would get the Droid X but I like the way the looks of the Incredible better. Of course, neither have a QWERTY keyboard so I wouldn't never consider getting either.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    You would need to compare the two of them and see which features you like best.

Price: Both are 9.

Weight: The Droid X is the same as the Ally but the Incredible is lighter.

Battery: The Droid X has a 1540 while the Incredible only has a 1300. In comparison, the Ally has a 1500.

Camera: Both have 8 megapixels but it appears that the Droid X has more options.

Processor: The Incredible has a 1 Ghz Snapdragon while the Droid X has a TI OMAP 1 Ghz.

Screen: The Incredible has a 3.7" screen while the Droid X has a 4.3".

SD Card: The Droid X comes with a 16 GB SD card and supports 32 GB. The Incredible only supports up to 16 GB but it only comes with a 2GB card (for a limited time).

Phone Memory: Both have 8 GB but the Droid X says that it has 8 GB available for Apps, Emails, and Messages while the Incredible says actual available is less than 8 GB.

The Droid X can also be used as a 3G hotspot for up to 5 devices.

If it was me, I would get the Droid X but I like the way the looks of the Incredible better. Of course, neither have a QWERTY keyboard so I wouldn't never consider getting either.

Just got back from visiting a Verizon store and I played with both phones for about 40 minutes. I have to say for all the hoopla about amoled, I thought the Droid X's screen was significantly brighter and more accurate. I liked it much more. Something I didn't expect was just how much faster the Droid Inc was at pretty much everything. The X was sputtering at basic things like opening the browser or launcher, while the Droid Inc was flying through everything.

After I rebooted the X and took at least 10 social networking widgets off it was much quicker, but still not close to the Droid Inc which was running lots of widgets (maybe droid X needs a software update?)

Texting on the Droid X was much much nicer than on the Inc which could feel a little cramped. Also... swype is pure awesome.

I'm somewhat worried about the size of the X for day to day use, but the incredible seemed almost as long but not nearly as wide. For being listed as heavy as the ally it felt much lighter in my hand.

The Moto's build quality made it feel like it could last much longer than the Droid inc which felt too plasticky.

On the camera front I like have a physical camera button so the X wins hands down there.

When I'm reading over at android forums a lot of people say that the X is really fast so maybe the one in the store was jacked up.

I think the deciding factor for me may be battery life. I hear the Incredibles battery life is anytihng but, and that the X has great battery life.

I came away from the store completely torn between both.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links