ALL DRIODS GOT 2.2 ANDRIOD UPDATES

This is a discussion on ALL DRIODS GOT 2.2 ANDRIOD UPDATES within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Ok, gotcha guys. So now it's only Motorola and HTC that makes phones in the droid family. AA, I did read your previous post and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALL DRIODS GOT 2.2 ANDRIOD UPDATES

Ok, gotcha guys. So now it's only Motorola and HTC that makes phones in the droid family.

AA, I did read your previous post and agree with you about the general public.

I disagree with Dolf and big V on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Ok, gotcha guys. So now it's only Motorola and HTC that makes phones in the droid family.

AA, I did read your previous post and agree with you about the general public.

I disagree with Dolf and big V on this one.

I'm not making the rules. Anyone can make a Droid. But Droids (Copyrighted by LucasArts) are only specific phones. It's just a label. If someone calls my phone a Droid I say "Na it's an Ally". Because Droids are gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    So your opinion is that only Motorola makes Droids. If that's your opinion fine. Myself, I consider any phone using the Android OS to be a "droid".

Apparently manufacturers feel their phones are droids too. Example, HTC calls their phone the Droid Incredible. It's in the name, is it a droid?

http://www.verizonwi...==

Technically speaking, Motorola is the only manufacturer of the "Droid." Motorola actually had to pay George Lucas a licensing fee to use the name.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman39 View Post
    Technically speaking, Motorola is the only manufacturer of the "Droid." Motorola actually had to pay George Lucas a licensing fee to use the name.

And HTC. (Droid Incredible).

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfan0925 View Post
    And HTC. (Droid Incredible).

I was unaware. So, the Force got to HTC, too?

Yeah, I thought it was just HTC Incredible.

There is also the HTC Droid Eris. How does HTC get away with it? Did they pay Lucas any money? It's in the name," Droid Eris".

If I had a LG Fathom and someone ask, is it a droid?, I'd say no. If they ask if my Ally is a droid I say yes. Would I be wrong?

And, the topic name would still not be correct. Even using Glock and Dolf's definition of a droid, the Eris would be included in the "family" and it will NOT get 2.2.

Tried to avoid this, but "Droid" is a brand name and "Android" is an Operating System. It is like "Coke" or "Frisbee." Those are name brands. Most people call all flying discs "Frisbees" even though they are technically only a "Frisbee" if made by the Frisbee Company. But if the person you are talking to knows to what you refer then I have a better question- Who cares?!

If someone asked about my phone I call it an "LG Ally" and after they give me the "I've-never-heard-of-it" look I explain it as an "Android" because it uses the Android OS.

Basically what Qasar says, only I refer to the Ally as an "Android based phone". Basically what he's saying tho. Droids are Droids. Plenty of Android based phones that aren't referred to as "Droids".

lol big Q, thanks for chippin in, you too blay. Look guys, I clearly understand the distinction that Dolf and others have made.

But it has made for a good debate and I wouldn't be surprised if other members added their two cents worth, this could go back and forth, and like big Q said,...kinda....who cares really.

Not any help here, just an interesting thread and thanks for your thoughts.

Just one last thought,....the new R2D2.....is it just a droid,....or a double droid,....or a droid in a droid?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links