a question for computer geeks ;)

This is a discussion on a question for computer geeks ;) within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; ok, i play online quite a lot on my PS3 (when i'm not on my Nexus One). So, when i'm *LEGALLY* :-P downloading a movie/album ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a question for computer geeks ;)

a question for computer geeks ;)

ok, i play online quite a lot on my PS3 (when i'm not on my Nexus One). So, when i'm *LEGALLY* :-P downloading a movie/album off the internet the game lags like hell, what is causing that? is it the router or is it just the top-speed of the cable connection?
    M_Woody's wallpaper pack.

I am a freelance/self-employed graphics designer, please take a look at my website www.m-woody.co.nr

200th post - 6th April, 2010.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Unless you have QoS running, I am betting you are just taking too much bandwidth from the game.

Quality of Service - most routers have it. You can place allowances for different devices, by time and or Bandwidth.

ok... does it have any other names? i can't find QoS...

I am a freelance/self-employed graphics designer, please take a look at my website www.m-woody.co.nr

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Admin
    Only high end routers seem to have QoS built in, what you can sometimes do on your PC is tell whatever program you use for downloading to limit the bandwidth upload/download to whatever seems to not cause you lag.

What program are you using for downloading?

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Only high end routers seem to have QoS built in, what you can sometimes do on your PC is tell whatever program you use for downloading to limit the bandwidth upload/download to whatever seems to not cause you lag.

What program are you using for downloading?
    i have a mac, the program is 'Transmission', I dunno if you can have it on PC, also, my router is 'high end' imo :-P

I have this router: http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...ing-_-position
    ...i think...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Woody, you can try to turn off the upload option in transmission, "legal" programs like this tend to upload while downloading, and that's the main reason for your slowdown. Also, try setting the max download to like 1/2 the normal speed. It may take longer to "legally" obtain your movie, but it won't bog down other connections while it's doing it.
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    Woody, you can try to turn off the upload option in transmission, "legal" programs like this tend to upload while downloading, and that's the main reason for your slowdown. Also, try setting the max download to like 1/2 the normal speed. It may take longer to "legally" obtain your movie, but it won't bog down other connections while it's doing it.
    ok, btw, what is it that can't cope with 'legal' stuff and playing online? is it the router or the actual internet connection?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's the internet connection, specifically your upload. When you play your game, it downloads the whereabouts of other players and uploads your whereabouts. Think of it as a drain.. Transmission is filling that drain with the material it's uploading (due to the fact that it uploads more data than your game) so when your game tries to upload at the same time, there's only a slight tunnel for it to get through, like a fat guy trying to fit into a sewer hole.
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    It's the internet connection, specifically your upload. When you play your game, it downloads the whereabouts of other players and uploads your whereabouts. Think of it as a drain.. Transmission is filling that drain with the material it's uploading (due to the fact that it uploads more data than your game) so when your game tries to upload at the same time, there's only a slight tunnel for it to get through, like a fat guy trying to fit into a sewer hole.
    ok, LOL, i will see about getting my internet upgraded, but, until then, i'll limit my download/upload speeds

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The specs for your router (I think your router), says it has Quality of Service. I my linksys router, these are the steps I have to get to QoS.

1) Login
    2) Click on the Applications & Gaming tab
    3) Click on the QoS sub tab.

You can set up which device/program has the highest priority. Using MAC address, port #, or ethernet port number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links