Have Root For Zopo ZP500+ ?

This is a discussion on Have Root For Zopo ZP500+ ? within the Oneplus One forums, part of the Android Phones by Model category; Originally Posted by UltraDroid I kinda doubt that ROM Manager works on ZP500, although that wouldn't rule out a form of Clockwork Mod Recovery being ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Have Root For Zopo ZP500+ ?

CWM works on Zopo ZP500+ and considerations wrt Google Now

Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    I kinda doubt that ROM Manager works on ZP500, although that wouldn't rule out a form of Clockwork Mod Recovery being available.
    Indeed the ZopoMobile site has a guide on how to install the Clockwork Mod Recovery on their Zopo smartphones: (English Clockworkmod recovery Tutorial step by step | ZOPO MOBILE BLOG) .... as you noted it is a modified version of CWM.

In my case, I purchased my Zopo ZP500+ from EtoTalk , with their Etotalk MOD ROM. I assume they installed CWM in order to install their modified PROM, and I note when I start the phone, 'holding the volume UP and pressing the power' that it takes me to a screen with a 'recovery' option. Clicking on that takes me to a screen with "CWM-based Recovery v.6.0.1.1.

... Still, I'm curious as to what package Victor75 used.

My ZP500+ comes with ICS (v.4.0.4) and as such does not have the Jelly Bean application 'Google Now'. I am tempted to install Google Now on this ZP500+ and I note a guide here for installing Google Now on an ICS smartphone: [APP][CM9/ICS][I9001/I9000] Google Now for ICS [UPDATE 19/8] - xda-developers

They have a caveat that "You should run any ICS or CM9 Rom that doesn't have any changes in google apps," so I checked with Etotalk's support email, asking if they had modified Google Apps with their Etotalk MOD ROM. They advised they had not. That leads me to suspect that I may be successful if I try to install Google Now on this phone. But I have a bit of a learning curve first prior to doing so. I need to figure out how to backup the ROM on this phone first (with the pre-installed by Etotalk version of CWM). While I am not new to GNU/Linux, I am very new to a rooted Android device.

OK, the first thing you need to do is be extremely careful. Is that version of Google Now For ICS available for your particular phone model? It may not make a difference, since it's not a rom, but people have done major damage to their phones by installing a piece of software designed for "model #A" onto a phone designed for model #B. In your case, I'm not at all familiar with your phone, but in the absence of a more knowledgeable staff person, I'm suggesting that you go slowly here. Read up on it in the XDA Forum, but for god's sake, don't post any questions in a developer's forum over there.

Those forums are a fantastic resource for getting cutting edge software, but they get crazy nasty over what they consider silly questions and react quickly and very rudely to those posters. There should be a Q&A area and you can post any questions in that area.

Good luck!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    OK, the first thing you need to do is be extremely careful. Is that version of Google Now For ICS available for your particular phone model? It may not make a difference, since it's not a rom, but people have done major damage to their phones by installing a piece of software designed for "model #A" onto a phone designed for model #B. In your case,
    Indeed thats good advice and I'm in no hurry. It could be for a specific Samsung model and not applicable to a ZOPO. I note there are other xda-developers threads on installing Google Now on ICS ... For example: [MOD][ICS] The Google Now for ICS Project [ARMv6 & v7] - xda-developers

In that thread they note it important a smartphone is an ARMv6 or ARMv7. From what I have read the ZOPO ZP500+ is an ARMv7.

There is also an xda-developers article here that refers to the general approach for installing Google Now on an ICS device, which I like to help provide an appreciation as to there being different Google Now installation approaches, and I quote some of the article:
    In essence, Ice Cream Sandwich’s Voice Search was integrated with Google Now in order to allow for Voice Search. As SilentStormer explains:
    The app will use ICS’s voice-to-text engine to get your answer, and then enter it into the Google Now v5 app from before. All you have to do is hit enter and then congrats, you’ve got working voice search!
    To get it working, there are a few ways users can try. The first is renaming a couple of apk files, putting Google Now in /system/app, and then setting the permissions accordingly (rw-r-r). The second method is renaming the first apk and trying to just install Google Now like you would any other application. The third, for AOSP-based ROMs only, is to flash a zip that’ll do all that for you.
    I'll definitely take my time before I attempt anything. The first thing on my agenda is being more proficient with backups, and recovering from a backup. I backed up the ROM in my ZOPO ZP500+ last night to my 32-GB Class 10 SDCard (using CWM). It took an amazing 3hours ! ... I've read elsewhere that CWM does not like 32-GB Class-10 SDCards and it can be very slow, but what I experienced might best be called lethargic. ...

Yeah, it sounds like your phone is having an issue with that SD card. I'm not a tech (and if you've followed my prior posts, you know that!), but I seem to recall that there was an extensive discussion about the pros and cons of different SD cards on one of the forums I moderate, but I can't recall off-hand which one. I'll try to find the link for you and post back.

etotalk

Helo !

Can you send me the rom : "zp500+ etotalk mod rom"?

Best regards: SZABO, Tibor (Hungary)

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Indeed the ZopoMobile site has a guide on how to install the Clockwork Mod Recovery on their Zopo smartphones: (English Clockworkmod recovery Tutorial step by step | ZOPO MOBILE BLOG) .... as you noted it is a modified version of CWM.

In my case, I purchased my Zopo ZP500+ from EtoTalk , with their Etotalk MOD ROM. I assume they installed CWM in order to install their modified PROM, and I note when I start the phone, 'holding the volume UP and pressing the power' that it takes me to a screen with a 'recovery' option. Clicking on that takes me to a screen with "CWM-based Recovery v.6.0.1.1.

... Still, I'm curious as to what package Victor75 used.

My ZP500+ comes with ICS (v.4.0.4) and as such does not have the Jelly Bean application 'Google Now'. I am tempted to install Google Now on this ZP500+ and I note a guide here for installing Google Now on an ICS smartphone: [APP][CM9/ICS][I9001/I9000] Google Now for ICS [UPDATE 19/8] - xda-developers

They have a caveat that "You should run any ICS or CM9 Rom that doesn't have any changes in google apps," so I checked with Etotalk's support email, asking if they had modified Google Apps with their Etotalk MOD ROM. They advised they had not. That leads me to suspect that I may be successful if I try to install Google Now on this phone. But I have a bit of a learning curve first prior to doing so. I need to figure out how to backup the ROM on this phone first (with the pre-installed by Etotalk version of CWM). While I am not new to GNU/Linux, I am very new to a rooted Android device.

I doubt that anyone is going to send you a rom - the usual size of a rom tends to preclude things like that. Your best bet is to do a Google search and/or check maybe XDA Developers Forums, to find a *site* (not a person) where you can download it from.

Good luck!

Indeed, I have no idea how to prepare nor send a ROM for someone. The Etotalk mod ROM was installed on the phone prior to my receiving the phone. As noted even if I could prepare such a ROM, the size likely precludes emailing. I also do not know if there are any legal aspects associated.
    UltraDroid likes this.

I note the site UnlockRoot/UnlockPhone/UnlockRom---Android Root in their compatibilty list claim to have root prom for selected models of the ZP500+ . I have not used that site myself as my ZP500+ came rooted by Etotalk. Having typed that, I also note that Etotalk no longer offer to root the ZP500+ phone. Purportedly their engineers do not like rooting this model of phone (they do offer to root other manufacturer's phones).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads