ZP500 and ZP500+ Thread

This is a discussion on ZP500 and ZP500+ Thread within the Oneplus One forums, part of the Android Phones by Model category; I thought that I would start a ZOP ZP500 and ZP500+ thread as a place to collect information on this Chinese dual sim mobile phone. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZP500 and ZP500+ Thread

ZP500 and ZP500+ Thread

I thought that I would start a ZOP ZP500 and ZP500+ thread as a place to collect information on this Chinese dual sim mobile phone.

I placed an order for a ZOPO ZP500+ on Thursday 25-Oct, and hope to have delivery (via DHL) sometime later this week. It has been shipped and currently it has left China and it is in Germany (where I live). But it needs to still arrive in the city where I live, clear customs, and I have to pay the VAT on the phone. It was a bit slow in shipping due to the supplier having a bit of difficulty rooting the phone (which they later solved). I ordered the phone in a 'rooted' state (which was an option the supplier offered).

The ZOPO ZP500+ has a 4.0" display and is a dual-SIM, dual-Core (MTK Mt6577 1GHz Cortex A9), quad-band phone. The quad band has 2G (voice) and 3G (data) that works in Asia, Europe, and North America (to a limited extent). Detail on the phone's network capability is:
    • Dual sim dual standby, WCDMA/GSM+GSM, (G+ W/G)
    • 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    • 3G: WCDMA HSPDA 850/2100 MHz
    • Data Service: GPRS, HSUPA,HSDPA
    • Data Rate: HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps
    • with guidance on network coveage around the world here: Mobile World Live - Coverage Maps

The 850/2100 MHz for 3G is not as good as 850/1900/2100, but the 850MHz should give me coveage in the places I tend to visit in Canada and the 2100 MHz coverage in Europe and Asia.

It has a 5Mpixel back camera and a 0.3 MPixel (640x480 I think) front camera (where I want the front camera for use with 'Skype').

I suspect the phone will come with Android-4.0.4 as I note there is firmware availble from the manufacturer's web site for that Android version. I've read nothing official stating the phone will be updated to Jellybean, although I did read one user on an Italian forum claim that they had read on a Chinese smartphone forum that ZOPO claimed they would update the phone to Android-4.1. I do not know if that will be the case, and it is not important to me at present time.

I also ordered an extra 2000 mA battery (which has not shipped yet) as I believe the 1300 mA battery that comes with the ZP500+ will be a bit weak. And I ordered an extra battery charger to keep at the office (so I don't have to carry a charger back and forth to work).

Since this phone has been made for the Chinese market, I think it would nominally come in Chinese with lots of Chinese applications. So I was careful to select a supplier that would provide the phone set with the 'english' language by default,. I also ordered a custom PROM inserted by the supplier (ETOtalk) called the "ETOtalk ROM MOD" . This is what the suppliers description says in this case for their modified PROM:
    What is Etotalk MOD ROM?

Now most of China branded phones come without google play store (android market) and only Chinese because they are for selling in China only, so they are locked and unrooted, if you need to use it well in other countries, you may select our etotalk mod rom.

Etotalk MOD ROM is built by etotalk engineering team, which will optimize the phone performance based on the official firmware.

The service package includes Multi Language OS, Google Play Store, Unlocked and Rooted. It will also delete all non-useful Chinese apps.
    Note: this service is for preinstalled only, not including the rom file.
    I speculate thou, that I need to be careful in any custom PROM I may wish to add in the future, as I could lose the benefit of the ETOtalk PROM if I were to replace it with another.

The ZOPO website for their phones is : ZOPO MOBILE SHOP The specifications for the ZOPO ZP500+ phone I ordered is here: ZOPO ZP500+ MTK6577 Smartphone . From what I have read the ZP500+ is simply a ZP500 where the single core MTK MT6575 processor in the ZP500 was replaced by the dual core MTK MT6577 to make the ZP500+. This was possible as the MTK MT6577 is purportedly pin-to-pin compatible with the older MTK MT6575. This has the advantage for the designer and manufacturer that they do not need to redesign their phone for the new CPU. wrt to the networking,

This will be my first smartphone, so I have researched a bit in advance. On an Italian Android forum thread on the ZOPO ZP500, a user who goes by the handle 'beeryourself' created an unofficial 'guide' for the ZP500 in the Italian language : ZOPO zp500 - Forum Android Italiano . I dragged the text of that into a translation program, fixed the format, and created an English language version here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-cS...M3M/edit?pli=1 [I hope that link works]

As part of my research into this phone, I stumbled across the following codes in a Russian langauge forum thread for the ZP500+ in a forum.china-iphone.ru post (where I used Chrome browser to translate from Russian to English language). I assume these codes would also work (?) for the ZP500.
    • *#15963#* - engineering menu
    • *#36951#* - various tests
    • *#36954#* - Proximity Sensor Calibration
    • #0*# - factory reset
    • *#08# - Serial number

(apologies if something is lost in the computer translation - I don't speak Italian nor Russian (nor German))

The ZOPO support forum has guides/hints on their phones, including the ZP500/500+ : BBS ZOPO MOBILE • Indice It is in mostly Italian, with some English. Chrome browser is useful for on the fly translations. If I have time I'll drag the tidbits from that ZOPO support site into a translation program, and post a link to the English translated results from this android.net thread.

One thing I have noted in looking for support, is the most active user discussion/support for this phone is in the following languages (and NOT in English):
    • Chinese
    • Vietnamese
    • Russian
    • Italian
    • German

After I obtain my phone, and have the chance to use it, I'll post a beginner's review. I say 'beginner' as this will be my first smart phone.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

This will be my first smartphone, so I have researched a bit in advance. On an Italian Android forum thread on the ZOPO ZP500, a user who goes by the handle 'beeryourself' created an unofficial 'guide' for the ZP500 in the Italian language : ZOPO zp500 - Forum Android Italiano . I dragged the text of that into a translation program, fixed the format, and created an English language version here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-cS...M3M/edit?pli=1 [I hope that link works]
    I found some more 'tidbits' on this phone on the web, some in Italian, some in English language, and one in Russian language. I used the computer to translate to English language where 'not in English' and posted the resultant compilation here:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-c...G85dG15dXlIbTA

... I have not tried any of these hints myself, so I can not say if they work.

act i bought the phone from china, the phone its do come with android 4.0 and google play...

btw, how much the cost for the phone ? just simply ask for the price...

ZOPO 500+ cost

Quote Originally Posted by aidan85 View Post
    btw, how much the cost for the phone ? just simply ask for the price...
    Etotalk (a Chinese supplier, from where I ordered the phone) asked for $ 184.99 US for the ZOPO ZP500+ before shipping, and before 19% VAT (which I will pay when my wife or I pick up the phone - hopefully tomorrow). Thats $25 US more than what they are asking for the ZP500.

The phone price at china is $175 at china, i have added the back case and extra battery. So total is $200 for everything.

why I chose etotalk

Quote Originally Posted by aidan85 View Post
    The phone price at china is $175 at china, i have added the back case and extra battery. So total is $200 for everything.
    $175 US, thats a good price. Does the place in 'china' where you ordered the phone have a support web site ?

I saw variations of prices on the web for this phone, some as high as $210 US. In the end I settled for the $184.99 from etotalk, not just because of price but also because I liked the support/answers they provided to prospective customers on the etotalk web site. I researched a few of the lower priced suppliers (on the internet) for this phone, and I liked what I read about Etotalk the most. Etotalk also for $4.99 offered a custom "etotalk MOD PROM" which roots the phone and cleans up some of the Chinese apps that I won't use. I quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by from etotalk
    What is Etotalk MOD ROM?

Now most of China branded phones come without google play store (android market) and only Chinese because they are for selling in China only, so they are locked and unrooted, if you need to use it well in other countries, you may select our etotalk mod rom.
    Etotalk MOD ROM is built by etotalk engineering team, which will optimize the phone performance based on the official firmware.
    The service package includes Multi Language OS, Google Play Store, Unlocked and Rooted. It will also delete all non-useful Chinese apps.
    Note: this service is for preinstalled only, not including the rom file.
    I suspect thou, in the future if I were ever to apply a 3rd part or ZOPO PROM update, that would wipe out the "Etotalk MOD ROM" and I would need to clean things up myself.

ZP500+ phone arrived

My ZOPO ZP500+ smartphone arrived yesterday, which was a pleasant surprise. More on that later. This is my first smartphone, so it will be a while before I can say much. The basic smartphone comes with:
    • ZP500+ phone
    • wall electric charger (with US electric plug connector)
    • small US -> Euro plug connector adapter
    • USB cable for phone/charger
    • 1300mA battery
    • very small manual in Chinese (no english manual)

I purchased more than just the phone, and the complete package that I purchased was:
    • ZP500+ smartphone package (see above)
    • extra desk charger
    • extra car charger
    • screen cover
    • leather case
    • extra 3rd party 2000mA battery
    • Etotalk MOD ROM (which roots the phone, removes unnecessary chinese apps, installs multilanguage OS, and installs google play.

The ZP500+ per the zopomoble website is a dual SIM, dual Core (MTK6577 ARMv7 Cortex-A9 Dual-core 1.0GHz), Quad Band (see above post for frequencies), Dual Camera phone. Dual camera means 5Mpixel back camera and 0.3 MPixel fronta camera. The phone has 512MB RAM and 4GB ROM. In addition to the dual SIM, the Etotalk site note it has a G-sensor, P-Sensor, L-Sensor, FM radio, Wifi, GPS, Multi-touch, Schedule Power on/off ... I can not say much about all of that yet. I note I was suprised to receive the phone, as DHL was having difficulty delivering the phone to myself and my wife:
    • monday they failed to deliver because no one was at home (my wife and I both at work)
    • monday night we called and arranged delivery for Tuesday to where my wife works (which is a very big complex with a dedicated shipping/receiving)
    • tuesday morning my wife went to the oganization's shipping/receiving to confirm they would accept the phone when it showed up (and gave them money for the VAT)
    • tuesday night there was no phone delivery. We checked with DHL and they said they could not find the place we noted - there was only a big company on that street (they were expecting a residential place). So we arranged to have the phone delivered on Saturday to our home
    • wednesday noon the phone showed up at the shipping/receiving where my wife worked. Turns out DHL decided to try delivery a 3rd time - and were successful this time

As noted, this is my first Android Smartphone, so my views are those of a beginner. I do have an Android Tablet which helps. Last week (before phone delivery) I looked at some Internet Android tutorials which helped. I also last week read up on some unofficial user guides on the phone which helped. The manual was in Chinese which did not help - but I expected that given I am buying the phone from China.

I inserted a 32-GB microSD card (class-10) that I had purchased separately. I also inserted two SIM cards , one into each of the SIM card slots, which are clearly labelled slot-1 and slot-2 on the phone.

The phone powered up in the German Language. Given I live in Germany that is not too suprising, but I had asked them to put English as the default in the phone, and they did not do that, so that was a minor and very brief puzzlement. My wife speaks/reads German, so she was able to quickly set the phone back to English. Once in English, it was a simple matter for myself (as an Android tablet user) to setup the phone's wifi functionality to use our house wireless.

On the 1st use of the phone 'voice' function (callling someone) the phone screen went black and was totally unuseable. Fortunately I had read on the Internet that could happen, and I applied a calibration to the proximity sensor (in settings under display) per the zopomobile guide here on youtube:

After that the phone worked great for phone calls. The mic was reasonable, which was a pleasant experience, as I had read reviews stating this phone had a horrible mic.

I installed Skype and was most impressed with the Video functionality of the phone for Skype video chats.

I also installed AirDroid (for easy transfer of files back/forth to the phone) , installed a local bus/tram schedule program, and MXPlayer (so I could play more videos).

And finally I configured the phone to pick up my email from a couple of my email accounts.

I stopped at this point. I want to backup the phone's PROM (or what ever should be backed up) and I also want to ensure the phone is configured to place applications and their data on the correct location. There are many artiicles about this on the web with different solutions, and I need time to figure out which is the best, before I put too much on this phone. Hence it may be a while before I have the phone configured for my nominal use.

I see the phone has a backup function in Android. But I also note Titanium backup for ROM and data is popular and not expensive. If anyone has a recommendation as to the best backup, I would be curious/interested to learn.

But thus far ...it was a fun evening with this new phone.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 11-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I see the phone has a backup function in Android. But I also note Titanium backup for ROM and data is popular and not expensive. If anyone has a recommendation as to the best backup, I would be curious/interested to learn.
    In the end I installed Titanium backup, which backs up applications on to the SDCard. I can not see any indication thou, that it backs up the PROM content. I don't even know if that sort of PROM backup is common place.

ZP500+ working well after one month

Its over a month later and the ZP500+ smartphone is working well for me. I've been using the phone in Germany (2G, 3G, wireless, GPS). In a week I head to Thailand and I plan to use it there and I expect I will see how well it functions.

The one thing I noted (and now recall reading about before) is the 'white balance' on the ZP500+ camera is not automatic, and to take good photos in a slightly dark, bar room setting, requires some photographic skill and not just point and click for the pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads