Difficulties with New Phone

This is a discussion on Difficulties with New Phone within the Rescue Squad General forums, part of the Android Rescue Squad Support Forum category; Hi, my name is Tony - a silver surfer with just under 40 years experience of using computers so not totally naive with technology but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tears_for_Fears
  • 1 Post By Tears_for_Fears

Thread: Difficulties with New Phone

Difficulties with New Phone

Hi, my name is Tony - a silver surfer with just under 40 years experience of using computers so not totally naive with technology but I am finding Android a very steep learning curve and - dare I say it - very confusing and not at all user-friendly/intuitive.
    Having had a Galaxy S for a couple of years with no real problems I have just upgraded to a Galaxy S II and am having some horrendous problems trying to get info from my old phone to my new. Old phone just will not register with Kies (keeps telling me to log in to some version of Kies that I can't find mentioned anywhere !!) so I can't use that to transfer my contacts. Also having problems with battery life, freezing screen and freezing icons and the only solution I have found so far is to take out battery.
    However the major problem at moment is trying to sort out my contacts list. Because of the problem in linking to Kies I am having to input all the information again manually but can find no way of saving them (On my old phone there was a 'save' radio button that came on screen but not on this new one and all the handbook says is 'save when finished inputting data - or words to that effect.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction to post more detailed threads on the various problems and seek help.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome to the forum!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!

Re: New Member - experiencing severe difficulties with new phone !!!

I don't quite get the thing with Kies. Does it ask to update?

Now the easiest way to transfer contacts would be syncing them with your Gmail address. Just go to Settings, Accounts, pick your address and it'll give you options on what you want to sync. Choose Contacts. Once it's on, your contacts will magically appear on any device you used to log into that Gmail address.

The reason you find it difficult is because you've spent a lot of time on computers and suddenly jumped on a completely different platform. But once you get to know Android, you'll find it very convenient and capable. I'm finishing my third year with Android OS and I find Android my favorite OS I've ever used.
    UltraDroid likes this.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

Hi Tony! Tears_For_Fears is absolutely right, telling you to simply use Google to keep track of your contacts and syncing them with your PC I'm not a technician like TFF is, but I had a though: you mentioned that your older phone wasn't registering on your PC and the PC was asking for a version of Kies that apparently no longer exists. I wonder if the Galaxy S (your older phone) was even designed to use Kies. It occurs to me that the older phone may have been released before Kies came on the scene.

That's just a guess, or speculation on my part, and like I said, I'm no technician; but you may be trying to find something (that older version of Kies) which either never existed or is no longer available.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!

Re: New Member - experiencing severe difficulties with new phone !!!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Hi Tony! Tears_For_Fears is absolutely right, telling you to simply use Google to keep track of your contacts and syncing them with your PC I'm not a technician like TFF is, but I had a though: you mentioned that your older phone wasn't registering on your PC and the PC was asking for a version of Kies that apparently no longer exists. I wonder if the Galaxy S (your older phone) was even designed to use Kies. It occurs to me that the older phone may have been released before Kies came on the scene.

That's just a guess, or speculation on my part, and like I said, I'm no technician; but you may be trying to find something (that older version of Kies) which either never existed or is no longer available.
    Actually, Kies was designed for Galaxy S (the first I9000 generation). Of course, Samsung intended most of their devices to be compatible for Kies, but they specifically focused on Galaxy S. All examples of Samsung devices in Kies are pictures of Galaxy S. So that definitely isn't a problem.

For Kies to work properly, it should be updated to the latest version, but the program itself isn't very "friendly" to the PC. If Kies doesn't work properly, then there's something not right on the PC that Kies doesn't like. Kies also need the phone to use its stock ROMs, so it won't work if you're using a custom one.

If you could explain what's exactly up with Kies, I could try to help fix it.
    Last edited by Tears_for_Fears; 03-01-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    UltraDroid likes this.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

Twitter
    smalltownlife13
    Hello and welcome aboard!

I am a Samsung device user and have tried to stay away from Kies ...

As for your devices freezing, it could be an issue with an app that you have installed causing some incompatibility...you can always do a factory reset which will wipe the phone of all user data and you can start fresh!

Good luck!
    The beatings will continue until moral improves...my new motto for work!
    Droid X Specific Site: www.droidxforums.com

Welcome to the site. Hope you were able to resolve the problems.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links