Application Not Responding... all of them, need to restart

This is a discussion on Application Not Responding... all of them, need to restart within the Rescue Squad Help forums, part of the Android Rescue Squad Support Forum category; So I'm at a loss... I tried searching for a similar problem but nothing I found was quite like whats happening to me, if I'm ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UltraDroid
  • 2 Post By Astrix

Thread: Application Not Responding... all of them, need to restart

Unhappy Application Not Responding... all of them, need to restart

So I'm at a loss... I tried searching for a similar problem but nothing I found was quite like whats happening to me, if I'm mistaken please redirect me there, thats why I posted.

Motorola Photon 4G (MB855) that is Rooted
    Android 2.3.5

Aquired the phone about 1 year ago, been rooted since that time, has not been dropped/wet/etc

I know some of this information is probaby useless but its the best description of the problem I think I can provide without knowing that much about whatevers going on...

Problem:
    Application not responding dialogue pops up, most times it has two options (force close, wait), but sometimes it has three (+ report). It comes up at apparently random times, as I don't know what triggers it, nor do I know how to trigger it on purpose. It may happen while I'm using my phone, or while the screen is off, and at any battery level. It may happen when there is perfect phone signal, when WiFi is on, on Airplane mode, or anywhere in between. Whatever happens to be open at the moment is what stops responding: usually the Home application (because most times the screen is off when it happens), but has already happened with pretty much any application I use. No matter which option I chose the phone never returns to functionality, my only resort at that time is to restart the phone. Pressing 'wait' leaves a frozen phone that eventually displays the dialogue again a few seconds later as many times as I chose that option, 'force close' leaves a black screen, and 'report' does nothing.

Oddly, the lockscreen remains perfectly functional though the clock is frozen and displays the time when the error happened. In fact I usually find out it has happened only hours later when I turn on the screen and the error is waiting for me on unlock. Doesn't seem to happen at particular times or intervals. Pressing the power button to turn the screen on/off or to display the silent mode/airplane mode/power off options also works, but nothing else does. If the music player is on, the current song will play until the end but the next one will not begin. Sometimes the top bar where the time, signal bars, and battery level are located is lost and replaced by all black, or in the case of the lockscreen it will then stretch that little bit further to the edge of the screen.

It happens several times a day, about 3 on average. It started about a month ago and I deleted the last application I had installed prior to the problem but it persisted. It was the only one I had installed in a while. I'm not a programmer or anything like that developing any applications that might provoke this.

What have I tried?
    Well like I said I deleted the last installed application, deleted a bunch of other applications that I wasn't using, cleared caches, I transferred a lot of applications to SD card, I have all the updates I can find for applications and the system in general, had task-killers running (with careful while lists) that I'm now completely disabling as the latest thing to try. I installed a logcat application but I really don't know a lot about it... in my research I learned it might provide some information but its utterly incomprehensable to me.

Getting a new phone... factory resets... yeah sounds like that might solve the problem, but I'm looking for fixes that preserve the tons of settings I've spent so much time fine tuning... any ideas??? I'll be glad to provide more information that's actually useful just as soon as I know what to look for... so let me know, thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your phone too, but I'm not the person who can help you - I'm not a technician and I've never owned or played around with a Photon 4G, so I'm clueless in that area. On the plus side however, we have some really knowledgeable members and staff and if you can hold on for awhile, one of them will swing by and give you a hand with the problem.
    ACaesFA likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

I would immediately do the Factory Data Reset. I would think a lot of your issues started with moving apps to sd and the task killer app. A lot of problems can be tracked back to both of those. Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA

Welcome to the forum.. Factory reset seems to be the way for sure.. Backup important stuff ahead of it..

Noted📝2x..
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

<Guidelines of Conduct>

Twitter
    It's a bird
    If you worry of factory data reset.
    Play with dirty wipe.

Flash again your current rom and perform dirty wipe.
    Dirty wipe: Wipe cache, wipe dalvik and fix permission in recovery.

If failed...then factory data reset.
    UltraDroid and ACaesFA like this.

So after well over 24h without an event I'm gonna go ahead and say that the problem is corrected. I have to thank all of you for your suggestions, for giving a hand to me and those of us that come with one technological frustration or another. Thank you. So having transferred apps to the SD only *after* the problem had started I knew that wasn't the problem, and having the task-killer running for months before the problem started I *thought* it wasn't the problem... but since I disabled it (when I was out of any other ideas) I have not had a single ANR. I double checked in the apps google play page and there were two other people in the ratings area that had associated a recent update with their phones crashing, so I guess thats it. I'm just soooooooooooooo glad I didn't factory reset!!!!!!!!! Oh, and now my battery is lasting phenomenally long, like after 24h and its only down to 30%... when it had been completely draining in less than 8h these days.... (why did I even get a stupid task killer in the first place....???)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links