Poor Reception

This is a discussion on Poor Reception within the Rescue Squad Help forums, part of the Android Rescue Squad Support Forum category; My phone is a MyTouch 4G(not slide). It is not rooted and has the stock setup. My husband has the same phone and we both ...

Thread: Poor Reception

Poor Reception

My phone is a MyTouch 4G(not slide). It is not rooted and has the stock setup. My husband has the same phone and we both have the problem so the issue isn't with my particular phone. My issue is with my internet connection-the phone call works perfectly.

The only signal receive is "E". If I go to any location, about a block away I immediately get a 4G connection. When I use he internet from my house he signal strenth shows 3 or 4 bars....but always "E". I never even saw H or G till I went to our local T-mobile store to complain about the slow downloads. I constantly lose my connection and see the error message"No connection Retry or cancel". I understand that this is typical of "E" connections. Also, my downloads are often unsuccessful because of the disappearing signal.

I called T-Mobile for help and all the guy wanted to do was adjust my settings. i'd already done that at the store.
    I've been back to the store again and explained my problem. I explained that My signal needs to be boosted and asked ab out the window antenna which I understand T-Mobile sometimes provides. I've read about this at forums. They just talked settings again !
    w
    Here's where it stands: I live in an area which shows up on T-Mobile's maps as receiving a strong signal and excellent 4G signal. this is Florida so it's flatter than a pancake. Our home is made of wood and there are no tall buildings for many many miles.I'm not getting what was advertised ! I've downloaded a speed test and taken several readings including 1 from a block away which showed that the speed was vastly faster and that the connection was 4G. I'm going back to T-Mobile armed with that data to ask what they can do for me to correct my problem. Do you have any advice for me, suggestions or information which might help ?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    First, try updating your PRL. Secondly, what's your signal strength inside the house in dBm? Settings> About Phone> Status. Once you have that, go outside and compare the numbers. Now walk toward the nearest location you get 4G and compare all three numbers. You may be surprised by the drop in strength inside the house.

Once you've done that, report back on all three numbers and we'll see what we can do to help you get 4G IN the house instead of only outside the house.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Exactly what fbm suggested. It is your best approach.

Hello furbearingmammal !
    Sorry to have taken so long to collect the info you asked for. My life got in the way of my droid stuff.

Here's the Info:inside-85-101 dbm (E)
    outside-93 dbm (E)
    About 1/8 of a mile down the street-105 dbm (H)
    The inside reading may be a little better than you'd expect because my desk is right next to a window

Any ideas ???????

Judy

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    If T-Mobile is claiming -105dBm as "Excellent Coverage" they have another think coming. You must be sliding into the extended network in the house because you actually have the best signal strength in the house at times!

Signal strength increases roughly 2x for every -3dBm you go up. So that -20dBm variance you get between the H and the inside E is 1(baseline)x2x2x2x2x2x2 or ~32X stronger. There's no way you're getting that inside a house without a signal booster unless you're feeding off another tower/network. If it happened to be another T-Mobile tower then it's one not upgraded to 4G, which I doubt would be the case in an area T-Mo is claiming is in an "Excellent Coverage" area unless you live in the fringe, so you're probably picking up an extended-network (aka ROAMING) tower that T-Mobile has a contract with.

When you step outside and get ~-93dBm and then it goes DOWN before you get the H then either T-Mo's 4G antenna is weak on the nearest tower you can pull from or you're moving from the extended network to the actual network. A signal booster may improve your signal, but you'd most likely need an external-mount, directional antenna and know exactly where your nearest 4G tower is to pull from.

You'd also need that antenna to handle T-Mo's 4G frequency. If T-Mobile will provide and install for free, great! Otherwise you're looking at a far whack of bucks.

I agree with my colleague. I know they have a signal booster that installs in your home but, I think it costs you more on your bill.

T-Mobile says there's excellent coverage "at my house" as well. But I had to resort to wi-fi (brings my total monthly phone bill to over $120). If I knew then what I know now...
    Last edited by titanoman; 08-05-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Keep updating your PRL every week to two weeks. Never know when an update will sneak in and you have to manually do the updates. Usually an update will do nothing, but you never know if they brought another tower online or contracted with another wildcat carrier to use their bandwidth...

Does anyone has tested this kind of set ups
    4G LTE - AWS Booster/Repeater Kit - Verizon - AT&T - T-Mobile
    It supposed to increase 4G signals at home and offices? It is a 400 bucks expenditure so before I buy needs some opinion
    Last edited by jamders; 02-12-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Ads