hi all, i am new to these forums.. and really need help please!

i have a Samsung Galaxy SII. Worked perfectly fine for half a year - until tonight, where I went to settings -> software update and upgraded to 3.3.5
Noticed right away, no service (but had wifi)... switched sims with my dad's phone, on the SII no service - other phone got reception. after that, got the message 'Sorry! The application Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again' - and had to select 'Force close' button.
decided to do a factory reset through the hold volume up button, home & power, waited for the Samsung logo to appear, and then let go. selected factory reset, clear cache.

turned on phone, after factory reset - in the Welcome to GT - I9100T, Touch the android to being screen, I can select the android, but it just highlights it... I can change language, but when I touch Emergency Call, it just highlights the button... doesn't even take me to the dialpad.... also, i've tried the 'touch the 4corners clockwise trick' to bypass that screen, doesn't work....(oh, and i still have no signal too)

[also, during this... got the messages 'Sorry! The application Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again' - and
few seconds later, 'Sorry! The application Factory Test (process com sec.android.app.factorytest ) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again' - and had to select 'Force close' button again]

i think doing the update from 3.3.3 -> 3.3.5 screwed up the service/reception, and caused those process thingos - but now I can't even get IN the phone after the reset... have never 'rooted' the phone, i think maybe getting the phone back to 3.3.3 would work, noticed that there was a 'apply update from sd card' option when i factory resetted... but have no idea how to do so, help would be heaps appreciated!