2.1 to 2.3 Using Kies

This is a discussion on 2.1 to 2.3 Using Kies within the Rescue Squad Help forums, part of the Android Rescue Squad Support Forum category; Hey Guys- I talked my buddy into buying a used Captivate (AT&T) for $50 for his first smartphone. He went to Wal-Mart and bought a ...

Thread: 2.1 to 2.3 Using Kies

2.1 to 2.3 Using Kies

Hey Guys-
    I talked my buddy into buying a used Captivate (AT&T) for $50 for his first smartphone.
    He went to Wal-Mart and bought a SIM card and a "Go Phone" data and text/call package for it. For some reason, it's a T-Mobile phone now also.

I feel bad, because I talked him into buying it, and it has multiple problems.
    I did a factory reset.

I'm guessing the problem is because it still has Eclair on it.
    I feel as though I'm responsible to fix it, but I'm not sure how to update it.

Do I use Kies?
    Somewhere in all the reading I've done it says KiesAir needs at least 2.2 Froyo.
    Do I use a different Kies (this phone I'm writing this post on, S2 T-Mobile, has a Kies 2.2 app on it)?
    And (please don't laugh) do I install one of the Kies' on the Captivate, the PC, or both?

I've read several articles about this, but not one clearly answers this.
    It seems like I'm supposed to download Kies onto the phone (and save it to the desktop. How?), but then click on Kies on the PC (how did it get on the computer?) to install drivers and/or software on it. Then hook your phone to the PC via USB cable so the PC can install software or drivers onto the phone (I thought I already installed Kies on the phone to begin with?).

I know I'm an idiot, as much as I've read and still don't get it.
    If anyone could please shoot me a little advice, so I can get this mans phone working without it crashing and freezing up constantly, I would very much appreciate it.
    Thank you very much.

Sent from my Samsung Hercules

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
    Hey Guys-
    I talked my buddy into buying a used Captivate (AT&T) for $50 for his first smartphone.
    He went to Wal-Mart and bought a SIM card and a "Go Phone" data and text/call package for it. For some reason, it's a T-Mobile phone now also.

I feel bad, because I talked him into buying it, and it has multiple problems.
    I did a factory reset.

I'm guessing the problem is because it still has Eclair on it.
    I feel as though I'm responsible to fix it, but I'm not sure how to update it.

Do I use Kies?
    Somewhere in all the reading I've done it says KiesAir needs at least 2.2 Froyo.
    Do I use a different Kies (this phone I'm writing this post on, S2 T-Mobile, has a Kies 2.2 app on it)?
    And (please don't laugh) do I install one of the Kies' on the Captivate, the PC, or both?

I've read several articles about this, but not one clearly answers this.
    It seems like I'm supposed to download Kies onto the phone (and save it to the desktop. How?), but then click on Kies on the PC (how did it get on the computer?) to install drivers and/or software on it. Then hook your phone to the PC via USB cable so the PC can install software or drivers onto the phone (I thought I already installed Kies on the phone to begin with?).

I know I'm an idiot, as much as I've read and still don't get it.
    If anyone could please shoot me a little advice, so I can get this mans phone working without it crashing and freezing up constantly, I would very much appreciate it.
    Thank you very much.

Anybody?
    Please?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links