Month to Month Plans

This is a discussion on Month to Month Plans within the Rogers forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hey everyone! I've been doing my homework on Canadian carriers who support the N1, and it seems that Rogers is the best for me with ...

Thread: Month to Month Plans

Question Month to Month Plans

Hey everyone! I've been doing my homework on Canadian carriers who support the N1, and it seems that Rogers is the best for me with regards to coverage/support. My contract with Bell is ending very soon, and my plan is to buy a N1 and switch to Rogers.

My question is, what is the least expensive voice/data plan that is not on a contract? I see no need to sign a debilitating contract if I'm buying the phone outright.

I've tried to talk to various reps from the carriers, but I keep getting inconsistent and conflicting stories. Some even claimed that they don't offer month-to-month plans (despite the fact that their brochures say they do... you know, in that fine print that no one ever reads).

I'm just looking for some first hand knowledge or advice from you Rogers customers.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I know for a fact, even if you buy your phone outright;'Rogers' will try to talk you into a contract. (voice & date, normally 3yrs).

At the moment there is no consistency with them and your best bet would be to speak to their customer's support line and insist that you only want a month by month.

Good luck though!!

It's much easier if you've had started with a contract with 'Rogers' and it has finished, this way you can go on a month by month basis, which I did.

I agree with Bishop. I doubt Rogers will allow a month-to-month subscription unless it's a pay as you go plan. However, with the competition from Wind and Telus offering deals now, they might be more lenient.

Is there a reason you're getting away from Bell? If you tell them you're jumping ship to Rogers they might offer you a deal. Tell them what your getting from Rogers then sweeten it a little bit ;-) Maybe they'll match it.

According to the Rogers pamphlets that I picked up at the local Rogers store, Rogers offers "Individual" voice plans on a month-to-month basis, and "Data plans" on a month-to-month basis. I figure I could pair these two together to give me what I wanted... however they have another table for "Individual Data & Voice for Smartphones" which is basically the two aforementioned plans stuck together, and costs the same except it's a 3 year contract only. This is probably why the minions at Rogers are telling me I can only get a 3-year plan... maybe I should omit from them that I'm getting a smart phone (although I imagine the fact that I want data may give that away )

I'm ditching bell because :
    1) They don't have service in Saskatchewan, where I've recently found myself residing for business reasons. Well, that's not entirely true. They have "service", but all my calls are long distance, and there are no bell stores, service centers, or other form of support here.
    2) They treated me (and continue to treat me) like crap. I know Rogers has and abysmal customer service track record too, but my experience with Bell has been pretty bad. They didn't even try to keep me when my contract was up. I am also only in Saskatchewan for a year or two, so I will be moving back to Bell-controlled territory soon enough. Despite this they still did not try to make me the least bit happy by waiving my last month of contract. I have 2 months left on my contract (which I obviously cannot use because of where I am) and they told me I needed to pay a penalty in order to cease my contract early. Anyway, Bell has been an unloving overlord for my mobile needs for the last 3 years, and I don't want to go through the same crap for the next 3 years.

I'd take the pamphlet back into Rogers and show it to them. I'm shocked they offer month-to-month. AFAIK they stopped offering them last summer (for voice... not sure about data).

Rogers reps are really poor when it comes to knowing what's offered or solving problems. If you have to call them it usually takes 4-5 calls in succession to get someone who knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    I'd take the pamphlet back into Rogers and show it to them. I'm shocked they offer month-to-month. AFAIK they stopped offering them last summer (for voice... not sure about data).
    Hmm, well it says (in the fine print) below some of the plans that they offer in "month-to-month, 1 yr, 2 yr, 3 yr contracts".
    I contacted Fido to see if they had service here in Sk, but I got a non-answer back. Guess I'll go find a Fido dealer in Regina or something.
    Telus says they don't offer "3G service" which means my "smartphone will not work". It's sad when I know more about their services/networks than they do. It will work, I just won't get 3G speeds.

Ads