Caution to new WIND users! (This is why I suggested a WIND Mobile category! lol)

This is a discussion on Caution to new WIND users! (This is why I suggested a WIND Mobile category! lol) within the Rogers forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; So I'm not actually on Rogers, but on WIND Mobile in Canada using my Nexus One but there isn't a category for us (yet!). Just ...

Thread: Caution to new WIND users! (This is why I suggested a WIND Mobile category! lol)

Exclamation Caution to new WIND users! (This is why I suggested a WIND Mobile category! lol)

So I'm not actually on Rogers, but on WIND Mobile in Canada using my Nexus One but there isn't a category for us (yet!).

Just a head's up to anyone else planning to make the switch from Rogers or Bell that I discovered something brutal in the last few days of using the service.

WIND blocks all uncommon data ports! So if you access a server with VNC or access websites with weird ports, or even simply want to stream online radio like BeatlesRadio.com you're out of luck!

I have to say that this actually might be the dealbreaker for me, as I can deal with the growing pains of a new network and roaming data not being included when I leave city limits, but blocking use purposely when I do have access to the connection is completely unacceptable and a pretty dickish thing to do from a company that is supposed to be the open alternative to the big carriers.

Thought I'd just give others a head's up as they don't advertise this fact ANYWHERE!

Thanks!
    rAy

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I agree. I can't understand how a new competitor in the market has any port blocks. Hopefully, this will change. I however, will continue to support WIND as they appear to be the only true alternative that will be able to compete with the 'big 3' in the future, unless they do something to really piss me off.

Yeah, I'm going to try my best to stick with them, and I understand the security/anti-piracy/bandwidth-saving reasons behind it, but I have no intention of using a mobile connection for P2P... that's what broadband is for haha. What's the difference between streaming YouTube and streaming other media over the network??

Besides, it doesn't stop P2P traffic as anyone can just change the ports in their torrent/download program to a common open one anyway! It's just screwing those of us who do remote server stuff and want to stream legitimate content. Not to mention I paid for the streaming radio app that is now mostly crippled by WIND...

Well this explains a lot.

My girlfriend has a BB 9700 on Wind. First problem she had was Google Talk, it wouldn't connect. Then all of a sudden it starting working.... sometime in January/February I believe.

Next is streaming radio. I forget the app she uses but she can add her own stations, yet many of them won't connect. On my N1 however I add them with XiiaLive and they play fine.

I could never figure out what was happening. I know other people with 9700's and they have no problems. But they're not on Wind.

Thumbs up

Yeah XiiaLive is the app I bought that I'm having the most issues with. They will stream fine over Wifi (because you're using a non-blocked broadband connection) but when you try it over 3G it won't connect.

I know 110% for a fact it's because of blocked ports because any stations that use common web ports (80, 8080) work fine, but ones like Beatles Radio that use an uncommon one (8088) won't connect.

I also can't connect to my remote server because it uses a unique port because 80 and 8080 are already being used here.

They said they fixed it back in Jan/Feb, when you noticed it started working again, but they didn't open all ports, just a few more of the less common ones.

This is going to be a major problem as more streaming media have to use unique ports because the web ones are usually used up.

Try contacting WIND and ask them to open the ports you want access to. I think I read somewhere someone trying this and it worked. The only problem is it takes forever to talk to a WIND person over the phone.

Yeah, I called them earlier (the callback service worked great, I suggest using it!) and the rep was super helpful and friendly, I had no problems with that. She has referred me to the techies (she could tell I was a bit of a geek and knew exactly the issue haha) and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I will let you all know what response I get and what, if anything, they did to help it. If they are able to pick and choose what ports can unblock maybe we should run a thread of ports we'd like to see open, what they are and why. Maybe they could whitelist those as well?

Also, I heard that they DON'T block ports for the laptop usb stick service. So is this a way of punishing tethered users for not getting the usb stick service too even if we're paying the same for data??

Quote Originally Posted by Ray2Jerry View Post
    Also, I heard that they DON'T block ports for the laptop usb stick service. So is this a way of punishing tethered users for not getting the usb stick service too even if we're paying the same for data??
    Ahh, your right. Why get the usb stick if tethered users have the same benefits? I guess WIND needs to make money somehow.

wind service isnt the best in the city especially if your in a basement there is lots of dead zones they also dont offer long distance in the wind away zone its 20 cents @ min and same for outgoing texts stupid if u ask me. wish n1 was compatable on bells network

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links