Nexus One on Rogers

This is a discussion on Nexus One on Rogers within the Rogers forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Originally Posted by Lagroy I am a Rogers' sub for the last 2 years without contract, and I'll stay this way. Just ordered N1, expect ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One on Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Lagroy View Post
    I am a Rogers' sub for the last 2 years without contract, and I'll stay this way. Just ordered N1, expect getting it next week.

Google Voice (GV) is a great solution for voice. Unfortunately, not available in Canada yet.

I'll use wifi for internet connection, no need to pay the Fat Cat for a data plan
    Sure, that's one way to go, but you are essentially running a crippled N1 without a data plan. Unless you are in a bigger city with unlimited hot spots, that would get annoying fast for most people.

Hi,
    Has anyone had a bill yet to see how much data your phone is pulling? I changed my plan recently so I can't track it online. The reason I am asking is because I am trying to figure what I need to turn off on my phone so I don't go over my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by doc-ryu View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone had a bill yet to see how much data your phone is pulling? I changed my plan recently so I can't track it online. The reason I am asking is because I am trying to figure what I need to turn off on my phone so I don't go over my plan.
    A couple of suggestions that may help...

1) 'Rogers My Account' is a free market app that enables you to access your Rogers account to view your account balance, data usage, etc.

2) 'Network Traffic Counter' is another free market app that tracks your wifi and network data usage, you can customized options to show 1 day, 7 days etc.

I'm sure there are others, but that would be a good way to see how much your using and if you need to disable any app on your phone.

Anyone using Skype other than Wifi?

Hi,
    I just got my first post-N1 bill today. Unfortunately it's only for 2 weeks because I changed my plan mid billing cycle but it's still good for a rough idea. In 16 days I used 22.981 MB of data via 3G. That's with data-sync turned on while out and about with some Google map data and web surfing. I was pretty careful to monitor my usage too and so far I obviously have nothing to worry about.

My wifi usage was 20x that amount so if you're smart you won't have any problems with the 3G data.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    Hi,
    A couple of suggestions that may help...

1) 'Rogers My Account' is a free market app that enables you to access your Rogers account to view your account balance, data usage, etc.

2) 'Network Traffic Counter' is another free market app that tracks your wifi and network data usage, you can customized options to show 1 day, 7 days etc.

I'm sure there are others, but that would be a good way to see how much your using and if you need to disable any app on your phone.

@Bishop
    Thanks for the information. I just downloaded those 2 apps and I will monitor my data usage.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    Hi,
    I just got my first post-N1 bill today. Unfortunately it's only for 2 weeks because I changed my plan mid billing cycle but it's still good for a rough idea. In 16 days I used 22.981 MB of data via 3G. That's with data-sync turned on while out and about with some Google map data and web surfing. I was pretty careful to monitor my usage too and so far I obviously have nothing to worry about.

My wifi usage was 20x that amount so if you're smart you won't have any problems with the 3G data.

@Jonno2K
    Thanks as well. That sounds promising, meaning I thought it would have been pulling a lot more data than that. I just installed those 2 apps, so I will monitor via the counter.

If anything scary happens, I will be sure to post.

Hi,

How do you "turn off" anything on your N1?? I have 500MB on my plan and although I have not received a bill as of yet, I just received a text msg stating I had gone over. I'm not sure how much my bil will be now, but I'd definitely like to know how to manage my plan better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredjms View Post
    Hi,

How do you "turn off" anything on your N1?? I have 500MB on my plan and although I have not received a bill as of yet, I just received a text msg stating I had gone over. I'm not sure how much my bil will be now, but I'd definitely like to know how to manage my plan better.

Thanks

From the settings page, I went to the accounts and sync settings. I don't use gmail as my primary email, so I turned that stuff off.

Also from the settings page, I looked at the Applications settings. This shows the "running services" and I turn off the ones I am not interested in as well.

Then I installed Advanced Task Killer, this little app allows you to see all of the applications that are currently running and allows you to "kill" the selected apps.

You also have the option of turning off the Background data, by going to Settings, Account & Sync Settings, Background data, but this may make having the phone a smartphone a little irrelevant...

Not sure whether these will help, but will see. If any one has an other suggestions/recommendations, I would be happy to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredjms View Post

Thanks
    Check out a free app called APNDroid. It disables internet through 3G/EDGE/GPRS for all apps. I put the widget on my home screen and one press disables all. It's pretty slick.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links