Roger's SIM Card Issues

This is a discussion on Roger's SIM Card Issues within the Rogers forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I was reading other threads about people having problems with their carriers in the U.S. making them take a data plan with their N1 when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger's SIM Card Issues

Roger's SIM Card Issues

I was reading other threads about people having problems with their carriers in the U.S. making them take a data plan with their N1 when they just want a voice plan and use wifi at home/work. Has anyone had this problem with Rogers or do they just let you take the voice plan? I personally don't even plan on telling them what kind of phone I'll be putting the SIM card in.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Mur3 View Post
    I was reading other threads about people having problems with their carriers in the U.S. making them take a data plan with their N1 when they just want a voice plan and use wifi at home/work. Has anyone had this problem with Rogers or do they just let you take the voice plan? I personally don't even plan on telling them what kind of phone I'll be putting the SIM card in.

I can almost guarantee that you will be forced to take a data plan, as all smart phones sold by Rogers are data plan included, under their three year contract.

If you buy the phone outright or not tell them you have a smart phone, I believe that their system can tell them that you are using the network without a 'DP' and it will not allow you, or allow with a standard charge.

I believe it's $0.99 or $1.99 for 24hrs period.

Good luck!!

I did buy the phone outright. I'll try the SIM card from my wife's LG Shine when I get the N1 and see what happens.

Whatever plan is set up on the LG will transfer over to Nexus, as the details are on the sim card, so the Nexus will be okay; as I did the same with my SE w850 to the Nexus which I also bought outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    Whatever plan is set up on the LG will transfer over to Nexus, as the details are on the sim card, so the Nexus will be okay; as I did the same with my SE w850 to the Nexus which I also bought outright.
    Rogers has an option called Add-A-Phone for $25 a month so you can add a phone to any existing account and share minutes or whatever else is included in the account. I'll do that and just get the new SIM card. I won't disclose what kind of phone I have and skip the data plan for now and hopefully it works.

If you go that route, you'll be okay.

If you go that route, tell rogers to disable data on your account or you will get data fees because the nexus uses data in the background. Well I donno I guess if you turn off edge 3g it won't send data :S

I'm doing this now. I took the SIM from my w810i and am using it in the N1. I was hoping I could use 2G (by disabling 3G in the N1 menus) but if I try to use MMS or other data away from my wifi, I get a message from Rogers telling me I don't have a data plan and there's a link to their web site.

So you can make voice calls and send/receive SMS but that's about it.

edit: actually, I can't even do MMS with the wifi but I can use all the other data apps

Quote Originally Posted by Harry454 View Post
    If you go that route, tell rogers to disable data on your account or you will get data fees because the nexus uses data in the background. Well I donno I guess if you turn off edge 3g it won't send data :S
    why does it use data in the background? what is that all about? thanks.

[quote=Mur3;36466]
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry454 View Post
    You can download APNdroid from the Android Market and use it turn off data, so that the N1 just makes voice calls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links