Captivate Root

This is a discussion on Captivate Root within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Finally I got it rooted I decided to re-download the package in the op and try it one more time and this time it worked ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Captivate Root

Finally I got it rooted I decided to re-download the package in the op and try it one more time and this time it worked lol

Having a couple problems, hoping someone can help.

I followed the instructions on rooting my phone, and ended up with a couple issues. With the phone rooted, I now have the Supervisor Permissions icon. When I click on it I just get a blank screen, there's nothing listed there.

When I try to install the tether app, I get a message that says Install Blocked, for security your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market. I assume that means the rooting procedure did not take?

Furthermore, it appears that the USB connection acce3ss is now broken. Now when I select USB connection from the drop down menu and choose to mount, I don't get any connection between the PC and the phone, as in the PC doesn't see the phone, and the phone is still in mass storage mode.

Any ideas?

Actually, I ran the SU command and the phone prompted me to allow access, so I think the rooting procedure took. It looks like the USB thing was a fluke maybe, because it's working now, so at least now I'm no worse off than I was when I started this wholte thing.

I'm still getting the error on the wifi tethering app, so I guess it's something with that app. Tethering was the whole reason to do this, so if anyone has been able to get it to work please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jki659 View Post
    hi ya'll
    noob here been on win/phones and palms for years decided to try the android and so far I like it I've been trying to root this thing and keep getting errors I've followed the directions to the letter and have even tried a couple of different update.zip packages and each time I get and error :
    /sdcard/update.zip
    status 7
    any ideas?
    Make sure that it is "update.zip" case-sensitive. Also 100% make sure that the file is on internal memory, you can make sure using "estrongs file explorer" or "astro file manager"

Quote Originally Posted by bykr_dud15 View Post
    i cant seem to get it i put the zip file in renamed it to update.zip tried it and tells me it cant be openned... ive also put it in as an unzipped file wont work. im just wondering what if i only installed the super user app thats inside the zipped file.
    Make sure to have the file in the right place as mentioned above. Also make sure to be in recovery. It will look like this:

well i have superuser but i still cant install apps from my phone ive tried astro and still it tell me that my phone doesnt want to install it for security reasons. and it is on debug mode
    You have to sideload apps using a PC. See: http://www.attdroids.com/forum/samsu...captivate.html

OR

You can edit your settings.db to install from your phone (BEWARE) if you corrupt the file you may FUBAR your current install, but instructions are here: How to Enable Sideloading of Apps on Captivate - Android Forums

so what is super user and how do i use it.... i really just want to be able to install non market apps without plugging my phone into the computer
    SuperUser app doesn't allow non market installs. It is for security. It allows you to whitelist/blacklist apps ability to run with elevated permissions. When you install an app that uses SU it will pop up an dialog asking whether you want to allow or deny its SU persmissions. Install titanium backup from the market if you want a good root app to see how this works.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I'm still getting the error on the wifi tethering app, so I guess it's something with that app. Tethering was the whole reason to do this, so if anyone has been able to get it to work please let me know.
    Wifi tethering will not work until we have a custom kernel that supports it.

Junior Member airjordan_attdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefist View Post
    Wifi tethering will not work until we have a custom kernel that supports it.
    barnacle wifi works

Never heard of Barnacle, I'll check that out.

I am having issue here. I tried to root my captivate. I followed the steps, but the recovery menu doesn't appear.
    As I said, I followed everything said in the instructions, file location, naming etc. But when I hold the volume key while powering on the recovery screen doesn't come. Any help???????? Am I missing something?

Well, Pressing the volume button did not work for me. Rather I went through debug mode & rebooted in recovery mode

Unhappy Root questions

Hi Im new to the android phones and i had a couple questions about rooting to see if it is right for me or not.

What i am mainly trying to do is to get rid of the AT&T bloat ware. which i know i can do if i root my phone.

AT&T "Bloatware" getting in your way? Delete some of it! - Android Forums

Now. My question is When i root my phone. is it going to change everything? as in will the samsung widgets and home screens look the same?

What does rooting actually do?

once i root my phone what apps are a must to get? like titanium backup ect..

Will i be able to update my phone to 2.2? or have to wait till samsung does the update for it? and if i use the samsung update feature will that unroot my phone?

will rooting my phone allow me to use sim cards from other carriers?

Sorry if some of the questions sound dumb i just trying to figure out if this really is for me or not.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links