ClockworkMod Recovery for Captivate

This is a discussion on ClockworkMod Recovery for Captivate within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Koush has ported his awesome Clockwork Recovery mod to our captivates. This allows custom roms to be flashed, nandroid backups, and many other advanced recovery ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ClockworkMod Recovery for Captivate

ClockworkMod Recovery for Captivate

Koush has ported his awesome Clockwork Recovery mod to our captivates. This allows custom roms to be flashed, nandroid backups, and many other advanced recovery features.

Original thread: [RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Captivate (FINAL! SAFE!) - xda-developers

Quote Originally Posted by Koush @ XDA View Post
    First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL using this Odin package:
    http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/k...-stock.tar.md5

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management instructions are done for you!

Installation instructions:

1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    2. Flash Recovery.
    3. Choose Captivate as your phone.
    4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
    5. Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
    6. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
    7. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

does this make the phone unrooted and back to stock??? or what does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by bykr_dud15 View Post
    does this make the phone unrooted and back to stock??? or what does it do?
    Not at all. It replaces the stock samsung recovery with a heavily modified recovery by Koush.

It allows the flashing of unsigned update.zip's, the creation of Nanddroid backups, Advanced wiping controls, and more!

ok i flashed clockwork mod and i have the premium version (i used it on the droid too) any roms out for the captivate yet? lol. im so impatient lol

Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I am having trouble with this. Is the file you download from the above link Clockwork or where do I get ClockWork Recovery. I downloaded the compressed file from above and when I unpack it it is a file named zImage. Do i rename this zImage to update.zip or something else...Thanks for the help, I am new to these waters but I am enjoy my time so far.

Quote Originally Posted by peteseiler2010 View Post
    Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I am having trouble with this. Is the file you download from the above link Clockwork or where do I get ClockWork Recovery. I downloaded the compressed file from above and when I unpack it it is a file named zImage. Do i rename this zImage to update.zip or something else...Thanks for the help, I am new to these waters but I am enjoy my time so far.
    After you are rooted install rom manager from the market and use it to flash the recovery.

Oh so I just run ROM Manager then? I am such a noob at this stuff, I thought I had to install a program called ClockWork recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by peteseiler2010 View Post
    Oh so I just run ROM Manager then? I am such a noob at this stuff, I thought I had to install a program called ClockWork recovery.
    You use rom manager to install the clockwork recovery.

Thanks alot Moosefist, I am slowly learning the ropes here. Now if I can only get the enable 3rd Party Apps hack to work... I am getting there though, I am loving the Captivate, it is such a solid phone. I appreciate your help!

Wow, looking back, I was such a noob...haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links