Android 2.2

This is a discussion on Android 2.2 within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; What happens to our rooted phones when the new update is released?...

Thread: Android 2.2

Android 2.2

What happens to our rooted phones when the new update is released?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You will have to unroot, install the update and then re-root. good luck.

I have been told by other people that have had their android phones rooted, that when an OTA update like 2.1 or 2.2 came out for their phone. As soon as they updated the phone it unrooted it for them, as in they didnt need to do anything to get the update, just allow it to install and then root the phone again afterwards. This subject has me worried too that is why I downloaded the Odin One Click Stock Captivate program...I tested it and it does put your phone back to a stock, out-of-the-box status.

Quote Originally Posted by peteseiler2010 View Post
    ...This subject has me worried too that is why I downloaded the Odin One Click Stock Captivate program...
    I think it's wise to be concerned but remember that, if the update were to be a problem while your phone is rooted, you can then just un-root the phone and reapply the update.

Also, it's likely that some updates would be sensitive to whether the phone is rooted or not and other updates might not. Depending on exactly what is in the update.

The most you would be risking is a little extra work. (And you know you love this rooting and un-rooting stuff, anyway.)

Talking

I do think it is fun to root and customize the phone, I had a Backflip since they were released and I just got my Captivate last week. I love the phone, but now that I see how easy it is to flash back to stock I am going to be flashing the I9000 ROM to my phone, I have heard that it makes the phone even smoother, (if thats possible).

Quote Originally Posted by peteseiler2010 View Post
    I have been told by other people that have had their android phones rooted, that when an OTA update like 2.1 or 2.2 came out for their phone. As soon as they updated the phone it unrooted it for them, as in they didnt need to do anything to get the update, just allow it to install and then root the phone again afterwards. This subject has me worried too that is why I downloaded the Odin One Click Stock Captivate program...I tested it and it does put your phone back to a stock, out-of-the-box status.
    Since we are not running a custom build, we will prob receive the OTA update when it is available. I am curious whether the possibility for root will be patched though.

I don't believe this matter though since we will be able to pull the update.zip from the cache partition with root access then make a file we can manually apply with root already built in.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links