*Download Here* - Installation Instructions Below
The above link is updated to V3. It's meant as a wipe and reload, not as an incremental update... buyer beware! It's awfully smooth!
Update for V3: Download Update Here
Changed Device ID back to SGH-i897
Added Text To Speech
Changelog for V3:
Updated to Hardcore's SpeedMod kernel with Voodoo sound - MUCH louder headphone output!
Updated modem to TLJL3 - Improved upload speeds and voice quality
Updated Samsung Apps
Added Voodoo Sound app to control headphone AMP levels
Replaced Samsung MMS with Android AOSP MMS app
Lots of small UI changes
Remember, that before performing updates or flashing a different kernel, to DISABLE the lagfix. Otherwise you will most likely have to re-flash to stock and upgrade all over again.
- Based on Samsung's XXJPY 2.2.1
- JK4 Modem
- Hardcore's SpeedMod for Captivate @ 1GHz with 500Hz Frequency Polling - Thanks Hardcore @ XDA
- Lagfix implemented in recovery - Convert ALL partitions to EXT4
- Extensive Gingerbread Theming
- Preloaded with Swype, Samsung Keypad, and below are links to some different keyboards. (Gingerbread's Keyboard is incompatible with 2.2.1 ATM)
- Cyanogen's HUGE APN List
- Ringtones/Notifications/Alarms from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and Nokia (plenty of choice!)
- Custom System Font
- Custom Window Animations
- Updated Video drivers
- Better Media focus (no jumps or skips in audio or video)
- Better battery life compared to JK3
- This is a full system wipe release.
Few notes about this one... I haven't implemented a Lagfix on first boot, so after installing the ROM go back in the Advanced ClockworkMod ULK features, then LAGFIX, then select "Faster ALL=EXT4". Also, window animations aren't turned on by default. You can find the animations toggle in the Display settings menu.
You'll need to know how download mode works on the Captivate:
To get into download mode... Remove the SIM and External SD, and with the phone off, hold down both volume buttons (+-) while plugging in the USB cord. You should see a big yellow yield sign with an Android shoveling trash with "Downloading".
AND REMEMBER... If anything goes wrong during this process, don't panic or hyperventilate. Just go back into Download Mode and reflash JF6. By flashing this, you recognize the risks involved, and neither I, nor attdroids are responsible for bricks.
Here's step-by-step how to install:
- I recommend that your phone be charged to at least 75% before starting. (100% recommended)
- Back up your apps and personal information.
- Download the stock JF6 Eclair build ODIN3 One-Click restore.
- Now you must have ODIN open before plugging in the phone.
- Get your phone into download mode, plug it in, and ODIN should show a yellow box with what COM port your phone is connected to. (See above^)
- Now click start to flash JF6.
- Go to Settings-->Applications-->Development and check "USB Debugging".
- Download SGS One Click Root *PC* or *MAC*, and run it.
- When your Captivate reboots, use the down volume key to select "Reinstall Packages" and the power button to select it. Now it will install Superuser and reboot.
- Now that you're rooted, Download "ROM Manager" from the Android Market.
- Run ROM Manager and "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and make sure to select "Captivate".
- Now, place my ROM zip on your phone's internal SD storage.
- Unplug your phone, and go into ROM Manager and select "Reboot into Recovery"
- Once in recovery, use the volume keys to move down to "install zip from SD card" and the power key to select. Then "choose zip from SD card". As glenthax has brought to my attention, if you see the default Samsung recovery with blue text upon reboot, select reinstall packages and after it installs it will reboot itself into the correct ClockworkMod recovery which will have green text.
- Now scroll down until you find "Dorian's XXJPY 2.2.1" and select that to flash it.
- You may notice the screen wig out for a second or two, but don't worry that's normal. It's installing a new modem and kernel.
- Once it's done, back out to the main recovery screen, then select Advanced ClockworkMod ULK features, then LAGFIX, then select "Faster ALL=EXT4".
- Now re-boot, and you'll select "continue with backup and restore".
- When it gets done enjoy FroYo! **First boot can take several minutes.
When you initially restore back to JF6 if you have issues with ROM Manager throwing errors, download THIS update.zip that you flash from default recovery.
DroidX Multitouch Keyboard APK