When the HSPA+ (4G Speeds), can we have the captivate use 4g?

This is a discussion on When the HSPA+ (4G Speeds), can we have the captivate use 4g? within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; I love my captivate phone, but it blows that when the 4g comes out, it is looking like it is becoming obsolete. Is it possible ...

Thread: When the HSPA+ (4G Speeds), can we have the captivate use 4g?

When the HSPA+ (4G Speeds), can we have the captivate use 4g?

I love my captivate phone, but it blows that when the 4g comes out, it is looking like it is becoming obsolete. Is it possible for the Captivate to run on the 4g network? Im wondering if with the new phones, going to 4g, is this a hardware or software upgrade to make those work? Anyone know on this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Welcome to the forums!

The Captivate's HSPA radios have a max data rate of 7.2Mb/s downlink, and 5.76Mb/s uplink, though the tech specs on the specific baseband radio state 14.4Mb/s. At the moment, all the 4G phones announced for AT&T are HSPA+ not LTE. The way AT&T plans their HSPA+ network is to start at 14.4Mb/s downlink. The problem with that is that almost every single cell site for AT&T is capped at 7.2Mb/s, and even then you won't ever see 7.2Mb/s because AT&T over-provisions users... meaning that they take on more people per tower than they're supposed to.

IMO, until AT&T gets their real 4G network built out, most will never see a difference in 4G and good 3G.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

They're advertising it as "HSPA+ with expanded backhaul". Hopefully the additional backhaul with help with the capping and over provisioning. Not that it matters to me. I still don't even have 3G where I am, though it was supposed to have been rolled out back in the fall.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Form inside sources the way it seems is that with this backhaul and the possibility of loosing some customers to the iPhone verizon AT&T feels that they will have there a game again when it comes to the 3G. And only reason why AT&T call it 3G is because FCC regulate 4g to be 100 mb/s but due to marketing of other companies they were forced to mention 4g when it really wasn't available. Also they might not be lte but there are plans to have it up to almost 25mb/s by end of this year. And AT&T excuse of not hitting hi speeds is that the processors of the phone wont handle it . Until the atrix 1.2 processor comes out. Let's see how restricted it is outta the box

Android Lurker Andrea Cristiano Maietta's Avatar
    with a different ROM like serendipity they change the modem firmware and it picks up the HSPA+

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz28 View Post
    Form inside sources the way it seems is that with this backhaul and the possibility of loosing some customers to the iPhone verizon AT&T feels that they will have there a game again when it comes to the 3G. And only reason why AT&T call it 3G is because FCC regulate 4g to be 100 mb/s but due to marketing of other companies they were forced to mention 4g when it really wasn't available. Also they might not be lte but there are plans to have it up to almost 25mb/s by end of this year. And AT&T excuse of not hitting hi speeds is that the processors of the phone wont handle it . Until the atrix 1.2 processor comes out. Let's see how restricted it is outta the box
    Indeed... loosing a few iPhone customers to Verizon will most assuredly help AT&T's network. The iPhone makes up a VERY VERY large portion of AT&T's network traffic. Though the ICC has indeed given carriers permission to use the term 4G to describe HSPA+. HSPA+ currently tops out at 21.1Mb/s, and that's with perfect signal on a tower with not many users connected. In the city you'll never ever see that on HSPA+.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
    with a different ROM like serendipity they change the modem firmware and it picks up the HSPA+
    Yep. That's all it would take... Currently I'm using TLJL3 modem with my XWJS3 ROM. Technically the GSM Galaxy S series supports up to 14.4Mb/s, but all that we can use right now are 7.2Mb/s.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Hey Dorian,

With all this HSPA+ talk and all what modem do u think is the best. Im using your ugjk3 v5 rom and i did use you 2.2.1 rom i think the js3. I've notice that i actually at times hit 4 mbs download on 3g(hspa+) with the jk3 rom. Would any of your other roms hit that speed or more? PLUS since you work at att when are we getting some hspa+ towers out her in nj. Im a sales rep at a cor store and i cant wait to shut down verizon with or speeds. !!!!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links