tools needed to make a custom ROM

This is a discussion on tools needed to make a custom ROM within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Doran, your roms are perfect and thank you for all your hard work, I was just wondering what tools would be used to make(edit) a ...

Thread: tools needed to make a custom ROM

tools needed to make a custom ROM

Doran, your roms are perfect and thank you for all your hard work, I was just wondering what tools would be used to make(edit) a rom for the captivate. i like to tinker with programming and would be interested for myself only, more or less to run it on an android emulator. too chicken or afraid that I would destroy my phone.

Thanks for any help you can share with me

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I actually sent this in a PM a little while back... here's a cut-n-paste...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian
    First you'll need the Android SDK from Google. Then you'll need to know the file structure of Android, so that when you confront an issue you'll know where to look for the file in question. To make deep changes you'll need several tools...

Smali/Baksmali for decompiling/compiling .dex files.
    APK Manager
    WinRAR/7-Zip or similar for Windows --- BetterZip for Mac
    For PNG modification you'll want Gimp or Photoshop, and for Icons you want Adobe Illustrator or Fireworks. All image modification can be done in Gimp, but it's much easier with the Adobe Suite.
    Notepad++ for Windows or SubEthaEdit for Mac for editing decompiled XML files within APKs. Regular apps won't work because they don't edit code correctly.
    And if you're editing .dex files you'll need to know a little about java... though not much. Those are temperamental, and don't work properly with a lot of modification.

Mainly the big thing is keeping track of changes and organizing files to where you can find them and tell differences in versions. I can't tell you how many times I've had to just scrap a couple of hundred files because I couldn't remember which files were which...

Dorian

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

WOW! That kind of an expensive tool. $1900 for Adobe Suite.

Thanks for the info, this will be fun to mess around with in the emulator, not too much can be damaged that way. I do know Java and did download the SDK I tinkered a little with making apps and the emulator. Thanks again for your help

Question Gimp

I'm getting pretty interested in at least attempting to build my own rom. So far I've got SDK, the "SGH-I897_OpenSource_froyo.tar.gz" source, Notepad ++, I've had winrar for years, apk manager. Here's what I can't find:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    For PNG modification you'll want Gimp or Photoshop, and for Icons you want Adobe Illustrator or Fireworks. All image modification can be done in Gimp, but it's much easier with the Adobe Suite.
    Granted I can find a hacked version of adobe cs on a ("w" word we're not supposed to mention here) site, but Gimp on the other hand... Let's just say googling "gimp" leads to some very interesting search results.:confused: And "png gimp" or "png modification gimp" actually points me back at this thread.

Any advice on where to look for this gimp program?

EDIT: Nevermind, googled again with safesearch on - and found it.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

So this hasnt been touched yet.. And perhaps Dorian can fill me in..

• When you work on a custom ROM what environment do you do it under? Windows or Linux..
    • What is your base for working you just unzip a rom and work out of there when your ready to try it just zip it back up and install from ZIP on it?
    • Where can I find information on where things are located? IE Phone Package.. Email Package and so on?
    • Any advice as to what to touch and what NOT TO EVER EVER EVER TOUCH?
    • Where can I find out what META-INF system updates all mean and to what?

Thanks..

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links