Anyone else try cm7?

This is a discussion on Anyone else try cm7? within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Before anyone asks cm7=Cyanogen Mod 7. Which is, of course, AOSP Android 2.3.3 for the Captivate. There is currently a build of it on XDA ...

Thread: Anyone else try cm7?

Question Anyone else try cm7?

Name:  ScreenShot.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  8.6 KB
    Before anyone asks cm7=Cyanogen Mod 7. Which is, of course, AOSP Android 2.3.3 for the Captivate. There is currently a build of it on XDA. It is currently based heavily off of the Nexus S version of 2.3.3. So heavily based that you have to install Nexus S USB drivers and get an email from google when you install it saying:
    Google and Samsung have partnered to bring you Nexus S, a pure Google experience phone. Learn more:

....{edited out the filler bs of the email}....

Enjoy!
    The Android Team at Google
    Google, Inc.
    1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
    Mountain View, CA 94043
    Bear in mind, I'm not here to advocate intalling cm7 on your phone. It is an extremely complicated process and chances of soft-bricking your phone are high during the install process (I'm proof). It is currently in a public Beta phase and is clearly stated to be "Not intended for daily use" (yet).

I just want to know if anyone else here has tried it and if so, what did you think?

Me- It took two attempts to install it. First try I got stuck into a bootloop and had to get into download mode the old fashioned way to do a Odin3 restore. Once installed, I loved it, but it was extremely buggy. My bugs were along the lines of random reboots, no lock screen, and the home key no longer worked. I know the dev's will work out all of the kinks in the system sooner or later, probably when an official 2.3 galaxy s build is released. But in the mean time, I will stick with the 2.2 and 2.2.1 roms, and occasionally flash back to cm7 when a new build is released for testing purposes.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I tried it on my phone this past weekend, the battery life was the killer for me. Other than that, I loved the ROM, but my phone has to last more than 10 hours. I do plan on flashing back to CM7 once it is more stable and the battery life has improved.

I don't think I even had it loaded on my phone for 10 hours. I want to give it another go this weekend with the newer build, but I think I should hold off until the jig i ordered from bay_wolf gets here. I left out in the OP that when I tried to flash away from cm7 to Firefly, I soft bricked my phone and took about 10-15 tries to get into download mode. Yeah, that was fun. Learned a lot while trying to unbrick it.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    When you move away from CM7 a full ODIN OEM restore is required. Odin will reformat and re-partition the internal NAND.

Sent from Spacial Grid 325, Terra 001

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

I did try the latest build this past weekend, but mistakenly left my phone on and my battery died... When I plugged in my phone, it turned on after a little bit and Android kept Force Closing. I am guessing you cannot let the battery die at all on CM7, I am going to try the newest build again this weekend...I just cannot stop flashing. I am still looking forward to your V.7 as well Dorian. Cannot wait, soo many ROMS, only one little phone...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links