Help newbie to customizing my Captivate

This is a discussion on Help newbie to customizing my Captivate within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; I love my captivate but a friend of mine said he rooted and updated his Verizon samsung Galaxy s phone to a 2.9.2 OS. and ...

Thread: Help newbie to customizing my Captivate

Help newbie to customizing my Captivate

I love my captivate but a friend of mine said he rooted and updated his Verizon samsung Galaxy s phone to a 2.9.2 OS. and suggested i should try it. I'm a little leery on rooting and doing this update. is there even an update that is that much higher then the recently released 2.2 from at&t. and if there is how do i do it safely. with simple easy and dumddowned instructions i have tried to read and understand some of what you all are posting. but half just went over my head.
    I wanna do this because im tried of updates from att for my os every month and having to redo all my setting on my phone it takes me that long to get it back to how i like it.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There is no Android 2.9.

For the captivate there is 2.1 and 2.2 if you go through official channels. Unofficially there is also 2.2.1, 2.3 and 2.3.3... Your friend may have been looking at his kernel version or the version of that specific rom that he flashed.

As far as safe and dumbed-down... Good luck. Developers generally don't dumb it down too much and there's always the risk of bricking your phone when playing with roms. I learned how to flash custom roms here in this section of the forum. All I can say is read, read, read, read. Here are a few helpful links.
    For New Captivate Users
    Mobile Tech Videos specifically the captivate rom flashing section
    And of course the stickies in the Hacking forum
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Thanks. i will continue to read, read and more read. normally i'm not bad with tech stuff but i'm so afraid of bricking it that im asking for as much info as possable. which is now bogging down my brain lol

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaRose570 View Post
    Thanks. i will continue to read, read and more read. normally i'm not bad with tech stuff but i'm so afraid of bricking it that im asking for as much info as possable. which is now bogging down my brain lol
    Try the second post here: Installation Instructions

That's pretty much the instructions for installing any custom ROM, except for CyanogenMod. CM has a WHOLE 'nother set of instructions.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Try the second post here: Installation Instructions

That's pretty much the instructions for installing any custom ROM, except for CyanogenMod. CM has a WHOLE 'nother set of instructions.
    Yeah don't start with CyanogenMod. Or Miui. You need to be pretty experienced with roms, really understand the lingo and have a Jig handy before you play around with anything based on 2.3 (speaking from experience).

All the other roms are based off of 2.2 or 2.2.1 and are actually pretty simple to install.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

I say if yer a newbie... either get a nexus S.. or wait for Gingerbread to get rolled out... hopefully, in the next year or so by ATT/Samsung. (being optomistic here.. not so much sarcastic!)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links