- CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

This is a discussion on - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Originally Posted by wyattwic I know this is going to sound like a retarded question.... How do I get around the (status 7) glitch? Last ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

Quote Originally Posted by wyattwic View Post
    I know this is going to sound like a retarded question.... How do I get around the (status 7) glitch?

Last two lines...

(status 7)
    Instillation aborted (or something like that)
    I've read up on the status 7 error a bit now, it's either caused by voodoo lagfix being enabled on what you're flashing from -or- an updater script with the text on the last line of code changed (problem with cwm basically). Flashing cm7 the old fashioned way after a flash to stock & master clear seems to be the popular fix.

1. Download the captivate aio toolbox. I say use this because it's what i use when a rom does not cooperate and it works wonders.
    2. Back up the contents of your phone to your computer.
    3. Open the Captivate AIO Toolbox. Hit Flash to Stock. (it will put your phone in download mode). Disconnect the USB. Make sure odin is open BEFORE you reconnect the USB to your phone. Hit Master Clear. Then hit Start when it finishes.
    4. Disconnect the USB & Reboot (via battery pull). Then Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->Enable USB Debugging.
    5. Reconnect the USB & transfer the g-apps file to your SD card. Disconnect & Reconnect again.
    6. Hit Flash Custom Rom, then Select/Copy Custom Rom + Copy CWM + Reboot into Recovery. Find the cm7 rc1 file you downloaded earlier.
    7. Select Reinstall packages, twice.
    8. Install Zip from SD card-> Choose Zip from SD Card -> should be named ROM.zip
    9. If it stays in cwm after the install, flash gapps. Otherwise go back to recovery after the first boot & flash it.
    10. ?????
    11. Profit.

You shouldn't get any more status 7 errors after that if you want to start flashing the nightlies (premium clockwork is the way to go on those). I've never seen it before honestly. Just a heads up, I think cm7 comes with the jl3 modem, I've got the rest of the available modems linked to on my modem testing thread.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Thread updated with up-to-date instructions and links!

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

One last thing wyattwic, once you get it up and running smoothly. Do not under any circumstances attempt to toggle between 2g & 3g via power control widget or the notification bar toggles. Your phone is perfectly capable of doing it on its on when you go between cell towers and it's the only major bug with cm7 left. You'll have to pull your battery out & do a factory reset if you do as it will go into a never ending force close loop. This is also why there isn't yet an official "stable" build of CyanogenMod for the captivate.
    From the FAQ:
    Q: I tried to disable 3G but the phone enters a loop of force closes that make the phone unusable, how do I fix or prevent this?
    A: Because of a bug in the 2G/3G toggle code, this isn't possible without first disabling any active data connections and then enabling them after toggling 2G/3G. If the phone is already force closing, the quickest way to fix it is by performing a factory reset from recovery (you will lose all your apps and settings, unfortunately).

well, im working on getting everything goin and ill let you know the results. thanks Johnnie

After hours of headache, I have gotten the firmware back to stock. procedure you gave me got me 1/2 way there but
    trial and error = 75% epic fail, 20% attempted suicide, 2.5% more fail, and 2.5% EPIC WIN!!
    I will keep updating this post with status.

Well, since it's been a while and I apparently have nothing better to do today - I think I'll give CM7 another go...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Thread updated with up-to-date instructions and links!

I'm gonna follow my own instructions to see if they work. 99.9% sure they will work fine. Decided to try MIUI last night, and yeah, ready to go back to cm7 already.

Edit: Went from MIUI to stock to CM7 in about 20 minutes without issue using the above instructions. Flashing gapps & my modems now.

Well, I flashed a diffrent version of CM7 and here is what I have to say.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie5000 View Post
    Decided to try MIUI last night, and yeah, ready to go back to cm7 already.
    how bad was MIUI?

Quote Originally Posted by wyattwic View Post
    how bad was MIUI?
    Pretty rough. I knew it was based on cm7 and figured it would be a lot like cm7 but with more lockscreens. Wrong. Basically turns your android into an iPhone. The default launcher on miui is almost identical to the iOS launcher. Kind of surprised that the lawsuit happy Apple isn't suing them. It actually dumps all of your apps on the home screens instead of the app drawer like the iOS does. Even the way you navigate through the system menus is completely different from anything android (ex: it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to tell what modem I was on vs 3 seconds with any other android rom). Which the different menu system also made customizing it to how I wanted it to look very difficult. Granted it allowed for easier customization for a few things easier, like battery skins and lockscreens. The lack of the t-mobile theme engine was another customizing issue. All of my cm7 themes and morphs were totally useless. Granted miui has it's own theme app, which is kinda wonky because it's in mostly Cantonese with a few English words here and there. Everything else about it just felt off.

Pros
    the best lockscreens of any rom
    Really smooth looking dialer
    the default file manager type app works like root explorer
    works with cm7 modems

Cons
    Chinese & Closed-Source
    No T-Mobile/CM7 Theme Engine
    Very lame boot animation
    iOS copycat
    Buggy
    not even close to feeling like an Android rom