- CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

This is a discussion on - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Dorian, I have a question... I am not sure if it is something I did wrong when I first flashed CM7 or MiUi back when ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

Dorian, I have a question... I am not sure if it is something I did wrong when I first flashed CM7 or MiUi back when they were in early beta/release. But, now each and everytime I flash them, my EFS folder is always jacked and I have to manually copy my nv_data.bin file back into place. This is even with running the efsbackup.zip. I was able to flash JVB, (many versions) without a hitch, but when I try CM7 or MiUi now I get headaches. I also have some bad news as well, looks like I am going to need to sell my Captivate.... I have a baby on the way, so my toys are going to have to be limited.

Hi Dorian...I ran into issues after loading the bootloaders for Gingerbread and got stuck in a boot loop...I flashed back to ODIN stock, rooted and tried to flash CWM and it is just sitting there with the green status bar. I wiped out my whole internal SD card...and went back to stock and tried to flash CWM and it is still just stuck trying to flash in CWM with the green status bar just running

Any thoughts??? I haver never had an issue with CWM not flashing...Thanks!!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    So a couple questions as I am overly fearfull of this "bricking" as I do not feel like paying for a new phone.. And I know alot of these are soft bricks and can be recovered I just want to avoid doing so as I like to plan out and REALLY read in and plan for doing things.. With that said.. You have listed 3rd party kernels that you like.. How does this really apply to doing this with cm7-captivate-initial-kernel??
    The risk of hard bricking with CM7 is practically 0%. We're not flashing bootloaders or anything, so download mode will always be there to bring your phone back from whatever happens. And yes, if you're running one of mine you already meet all the requirements to start flashing this one.

This means hold down vol +/vol- and then hit power while the phone is off correct?
    Correct. But like I said, it will be orange instead of the usual green or blue, because of the CM7 kernel you flash.

This means 3-button recovery mode?? Ie vol +/vol - and hit power while the phone is off?
    Yep, recovery mode is clockworkmod recovery. Download mode is distinctly different though, and accomplishes different things.

Does this mean 3-button recovery mode again?
    You get into download mode by turning off your phone and holding both volume -/+ while plugging in USB. It will come up with a big yellow android shoveling trash with download mode on screen.

Now once I get all this done.. Then install the Google apps to make the phone functional.. What is missing from what your has? I currently enjoy a-lot of the functionality of your ROM, thus the reason I went with it..
    Currently everything works except 720p video recording and the compass.

Like the Facebook integration.. The video player that doesn't suck and can play xvid files.. And so on..
    Facebook integration is part of Android and is available with CM7... with the installation of Facebook of course. Native Android video player doesn't support anything but .3gp and .mp4 video files, but MoboPlayer from the market is free and plays all video formats, and works quite well with CM7 on the Captivate. I keep up with all my Nurse Jackie episodes and House episodes on CM7..LOL. The WiFi tethering is also present in CM7, so no worries there.

Where can I find a bug listing for this current one.. As I am fearful of also losing things like GPS and so on..
    AFAIK, there's not much at all that doesn't work. The compass is about the only thing I know of, and JVB sensor drivers are being integrated into the kernel right now... from the latest github/twitter activity. GPS works pretty well, actually... I was shocked. LOL.

Sorry for being paranoid and asking stupid questions.. Just really nervous about change
    I know, and I was too. I had to slowly come into it. I used it for a few days, then moved back to JS8. Then I saw what an improvement stock Gingerbread was and I moved back. For sound buffs, Gingerbread with a Voodoo Sound kernel is AMAZING. You have so much more control over sound in CM7. With Rightware Browsermark, I get about 30k more points in Gingerbread over Froyo, as well as better synthetic benches. Mostly, it's just smoother all around than Samsung ROM's and that's hard to accomplish because Samsung is getting really good at making a smooth ROM.

Battery life has also been SPECTACULAR!! 22 hours and 45 minutes. And that was with normal usage with a 1.2GHz overclock and no undervolt!

Quote Originally Posted by peteseiler2010 View Post
    Dorian, I have a question... I am not sure if it is something I did wrong when I first flashed CM7 or MiUi back when they were in early beta/release. But, now each and everytime I flash them, my EFS folder is always jacked and I have to manually copy my nv_data.bin file back into place. This is even with running the efsbackup.zip. I was able to flash JVB, (many versions) without a hitch, but when I try CM7 or MiUi now I get headaches. I also have some bad news as well, looks like I am going to need to sell my Captivate.... I have a baby on the way, so my toys are going to have to be limited.
    Interesting... Apparently there are some people having re-curring issues like that, and DaUnderSheriff with re-curring bootloops. I'll look into that, definitely!

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by civ122 View Post
    Hi Dorian...I ran into issues after loading the bootloaders for Gingerbread and got stuck in a boot loop...I flashed back to ODIN stock, rooted and tried to flash CWM and it is just sitting there with the green status bar. I wiped out my whole internal SD card...and went back to stock and tried to flash CWM and it is still just stuck trying to flash in CWM with the green status bar just running

Any thoughts??? I haver never had an issue with CWM not flashing...Thanks!!
    Did you flash back to stock with the ODIN one click?

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Hey, Dorian. Yeah, this CM7 business has been killing me. But, the JVB build for whatever reason has been stable (for the most part - froze once when trying to use Galaxy Tuner - just uninstalled it - as it's not really necessary with Gingerbread). Otherwise, I laid your 'recommended kernel' in on top of the build I linked previously, and things are running along smoothly. I've scoured the forums all over the place and can't find anything on a fix for the partition issue - just a bunch of folks saying that it doesn't exist and to ignore it - but it's hard to ignore when you can't get out of recovery! LOL

Thanks Dorian, I know I can count you. I will give your direction a shot here tonight and let you know how it goes.

Junior Member straw55_attdroids's Avatar
    Downloaded CM7, All going great Gingerbread ROCKS, waiting for Honeycomb, boot screen a little shaky though, sort of like dead air screen on TV w/color.

I tried this.. And kept going back to the boot rom with it saying E: No misc partition.. So I just onclicked back to default.. And bringing myself back to Dorians mod.. How can I do this with getting E: Misc?

edit: got it going
    On the 5-1 nightly now about to TiBU all my apps back
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

I tried this.. And kept going back to the boot rom with it saying E: No misc partition.. So I just onclicked back to default.. And bringing myself back to Dorians mod.. How can I do this with getting E: Misc?
    So I went over to XDA and pretty much searched the hell out of their site and could only see people posting about it but no solutions. I have tried the steps 3 times now only to avail to the same spot..

• You want to be on a ROM with a Clockwork enabled kernel, like any of mine, or the SpeedMod, Onyx, Suckerpunch, or any of the other Captivate kernels that are compatible with ClockworkMod recovery.
    • You want to have at least 90% battery or more. It's best to be fully charged. If you flash without either of those satisfied, your battery stats will be messed up and you'll have to go through battery calibration on CM7.
    • Now to start the installation boot into clockworkmod recovery and flash captivate-efsbackup.zip.
    • When the efsbackup is through flashing pull your battery out... don't reboot.
    • Now open ODIN and put your Captivate in download mode.
    • In ODIN, un-check "auto re-boot"
    • Flash the cm7-captivate-initial-kernel.tar from the PDA slot in ODIN.
    • When it's done flashing, disconnect your Captivate and pull the battery out.
    • Now use the 3-button recovery mode and boot into clockworkmod recovery. It will show a bit differently as you're now using the CM7 kernel.
    • Now you want to go into "mounts and storage" and format "system, data, and cache".
    • Now flash cm7-captivate-initial-20110318.zip.
    • Now back to the main CWM menu and "clear data/factory reset" and reboot.
    • NOW if you get into a reboot loop, start over because something didn't flash correctly. If you get CM7 to boot, continue with the instructions.

I get to here and reboot it to only go to clock work and it saying E: No misc partition.. Now mind you I have done this from Dorians ROM. Not the Beta but UGJK3.

So with that said.. I looked a little into it and they all say install the CM Froyo first and then do it.. So my thoughts are is there a partition created by CM's Froyo that yours doesnt have? And if so is there just another update that you can put together like the efsbackup that will just create that?

I do not know the inner workings of this other then how Linux works.. So I do not know the dependencies of CM7 or perhaps I am just an idiot.. But I followed it step by step.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links