- CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

This is a discussion on - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Ok so after reading in I watched a video and might have figured out what I did wrong.. I will try it later today when ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

Ok so after reading in I watched a video and might have figured out what I did wrong.. I will try it later today when I am not working.. But I will list the changes based on Dorian's listing.. There is slight changes and I think my problems was I was clicking BOOTLOADER instead of PDA for both.. That is the only thing I seen different.. And then what to clear.. Dorian I defer to you if I am right or wrong..

• Reset the phone via 3 button mode holding it until it reboot
    • Once in to Clockwork mode
    • Click on Install Zip from SD Card
    • Choose Zip from SDCard
    • Then Choose Captivate-efsbackup.zip
    • After done choose go back
    • Make sure Odin is still running on your machine
    • Go to Download Mode either via Menu or vol + / vol - and plug in USB
    • Plug Phone Back in
    • Wait for it to give you a comport
    • Click on PDA
    • Click on cm7-captivate-initial-kernel.tar
    • Make sure Autoreboot is still off
    • Click Start
    • Once pass unplug the phone.. Reset the phone via 3 button mode holding it until it reboot
    • Once back into recovery mode (Clockwork mode with new colors)
    • You will see E: no misc partition this is ok
    • Click install zip from SD card
    • Choose Zip from SD Card
    • click on cm7-captivate-initial-20110318.zip
    • This will take awhile
    • Once done click BACK
    • Do a Factory Reset (Delete all user Data)
    • Do wipe cache partition
    • Go into Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache
    • Go back and Reboot System
    • Now it should boot into CM7
    • Now that CM7 is booted up, power off your phone.
    • Now boot into clockworkmod again and flash the update-cm-7-04212011-NIGHTLY-Captivate-signed.zip package.
    • Now reboot, and CM7 should boot normally. If not, try flashing the nightly again.
    • Now you're on an updated, fully functional CM7 build. Now to flash your Google Apps like the Market, GMail, Youtube, etc...
    • To flash the GApps, download this package: gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip
    • Flash the GApps package and on your next boot you should go through the setup for your Google Apps.
    • If you get stuck at the last step of the GApps installation, just pull your battery then upon bootup, at the "Setup

This may be related to all the e:no misc partition errors I was getting or it may just be the nightly (5-1) but I've been getting force closes on android.media and android.phone on pretty much every incoming call. Also was force closing on ADW EX a lot last night but cleared itself up. Having to reboot after every call to regain a signal. Going to go with Dorians recommendation of the 4-21 nightly and hope it fixes it. Will chime in later.

Oh and as a side note: the KB1 radio sucks. You'll hear everyone fine and pretty loud, but people on the other end will get a tremendous amount of static. Stick with jk4

Edit: so far 4-21 has made for an almost constant process.android.media force close, going to try a different kernal to see what happens.

Edit2: Started over from scratch. Got the lovely e:no misc partition error's again. Kept formating the cache/data/system + flashing the initial + factory reset over and over until it booted. Everything was smooth so I flashed the 4-21 update, then the 5-1 update. Everything is working properly now.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Ok so after reading in I watched a video and might have figured out what I did wrong.. I will try it later today when I am not working.. But I will list the changes based on Dorian's listing.. There is slight changes and I think my problems was I was clicking BOOTLOADER instead of PDA for both.. That is the only thing I seen different.. And then what to clear.. Dorian I defer to you if I am right or wrong..

• Choose Zip from SDCard
    • Plug Phone Back in
    • Click on PDA
    • Click Start
    • Once pass unplug the phone.. Reset the phone via 3 button mode holding it until it reboot
    • This will take awhile
    • Once done click BACK
    • Now boot into clockworkmod again and flash the update-cm-7-04212011-NIGHTLY-Captivate-signed.zip package.
    • Now reboot, and CM7 should boot normally. If not, try flashing the nightly again.
    • Now you're on an updated, fully functional CM7 build. Now to flash your Google Apps like the Market, GMail, Youtube, etc...
    • Flash the GApps package and on your next boot you should go through the setup for your Google Apps.
    • If you get stuck at the last step of the GApps installation, just pull your battery then upon bootup, at the "Setup
    Right after rebooting from ODIN flashing the CM7 initial kernel, when booting into clockworkmod recovery you should format system, data, and cache before doing anything else... I see that one is missing. Then you can install the CM7-initial-20110318.zip.

So I went over to XDA and pretty much searched the hell out of their site and could only see people posting about it but no solutions. I have tried the steps 3 times now only to avail to the same spot..
    [/LIST]
    I get to here and reboot it to only go to clock work and it saying E: No misc partition.. Now mind you I have done this from Dorians ROM. Not the Beta but UGJK3.

So with that said.. I looked a little into it and they all say install the CM Froyo first and then do it.. So my thoughts are is there a partition created by CM's Froyo that yours doesnt have? And if so is there just another update that you can put together like the efsbackup that will just create that?

I do not know the inner workings of this other then how Linux works.. So I do not know the dependencies of CM7 or perhaps I am just an idiot.. But I followed it step by step.
    It should go through with any of my ROM's because all mine are CWM compatible at the kernel level. The EFS backup backs up NVData.bin to user ROM space, then the initial CM7 OS install formats the internal partitions the way it needs... the CM7 ROM's all use the same partitions that my ROM's use, and with the same partition layout. The JVB Gingerbread by Samsung requires a different partition scheme with a 512 PIT file.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie5000 View Post
    This may be related to all the e:no misc partition errors I was getting or it may just be the nightly (5-1) but I've been getting force closes on android.media and android.phone on pretty much every incoming call. Also was force closing on ADW EX a lot last night but cleared itself up. Having to reboot after every call to regain a signal. Going to go with Dorians recommendation of the 4-21 nightly and hope it fixes it. Will chime in later.

Oh and as a side note: the KB1 radio sucks. You'll hear everyone fine and pretty loud, but people on the other end will get a tremendous amount of static. Stick with jk4

Edit: so far 4-21 has made for an almost constant process.android.media force close, going to try a different kernal to see what happens.

Edit2: Started over from scratch. Got the lovely e:no misc partition error's again. Kept formating the cache/data/system + flashing the initial + factory reset over and over until it booted. Everything was smooth so I flashed the 4-21 update, then the 5-1 update. Everything is working properly now.
    KB1 really shouldn't be used with CM7 or Gingerbread of any kind. It's really only compatible with non-update1 Froyo (2.2 not 2.2.1), and will cause all kinds of odd behavior. UGJK4/TLJL3/UGJK3 are what I'd recommend, as they all default to 850MHz WCDMA and they have the proper RIL layer to work with i9000 based ports. Another issue with CM7 is that the first phone call will immediately black the screen out but the call will go through. After the initial boot I usually call my voicemail to get past the initial black screen, then all is normal. It's an issue with RIL polling that hasn't been addressed yet, but is being looked into.

I'm very happy you got it working smoothly though! It maybe hard to get running smoothly, but once it is, it's pretty great!

ONE MORE BIG THING THAT EVERYONE SHOULD READ>>>>>

If you look at your battery statistics and see that "mediaserver" is running and has 5% of your battery usage or more... do this:

Open your media gallery and look through all your picture "stacks" for items that won't show a thumbnail preview. Those things that won't show a thumbnail are hanging the mediaserver service causing it to keep running and running and eating battery really fast. Once those items are deleted that won't preview, reboot and everything should be back to normal... and battery life should be at least on par with the best Samsung ROM's. :cool:

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

I reupdated this to reflect the item missing Now you want to go into "mounts and storage" and format "system, data, and cache".

Items to download:

PLEASE SEE ORIGINAL POST FOR THIS ITEM IN THIS THREAD

Place these items on your -INTERNAL SD-:

PLEASE SEE ORIGINAL POST FOR THIS ITEM IN THIS THREAD

• Choose Zip from SDCard
    • Plug Phone Back in
    • Click on PDA
    • Click Start
    • Now you want to go into "mounts and storage" and format "system, data, and cache".
    • This will take awhile
    • Once done click BACK

I will be trying this tonight and will report back my findings if this fixed my issue.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    ^I moved one around a bit... the formatting should be a few points up. I put it before finding the zip.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    For those of you that have installed CM7 and gotten everything running, and would like to have it be a bit closer to my other ROM releases... try this .zip. It replaces ADW Launcher with Launcher2 (my usual default), replaces the stock fonts with the ones I use, and some other stuff.

- Download Here -

So I can confirm 100% that my last message with step by steps that Dorian corrected works for me.. I am now running CM7 and it works fine.. Some first impressions however..

When I first came up.. I had no phone connectivity.. NO SERVICE. I did not get phone service until I put it in Airplane Mode and then out of Airplane mode.. I do not know if this will have to happen each time I reboot.. I will keep an eye on that..

It is nice and fast.. I am auto installing all my market apps.. God I love Google.. Knew I didnt have my packages and installed them for me

However I got a forceclose first time I launched into Market.. Now I have no problem with it..

I will try to keep this update with new findings..

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Nice! You mind if I use your direction writeup in the op? Yours seems a bit more step-by-step.

Btw... often the market will do that on the absolute first run. Its because the market is auto-updating itself and the app has to restart to finish the installation.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

When I first came up.. I had no phone connectivity.. NO SERVICE. I did not get phone service until I put it in Airplane Mode and then out of Airplane mode.. I do not know if this will have to happen each time I reboot.. I will keep an eye on that..
    There is still a known bug on CM7 that you wont get a connection when you boot or reboot. To fix the polling you just have to lock and unlock your screen.

From CM7 thread
    "KNOWN BUGS

• Polling problem on RIL (works after lock and unlock)"

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    There is still a known bug on CM7 that you wont get a connection when you boot or reboot. To fix the polling you just have to lock and unlock your screen.

From CM7 thread
    "KNOWN BUGS

• Polling problem on RIL (works after lock and unlock)"
    Yep. I should have put that in my OP... Thanks for mentioning it!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links