- CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

This is a discussion on - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Thanks with recovery it is working fine really smooth. Originally Posted by bjpjjs Hi I flashed the this rom through the rom manager and it ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: - CM7 - Gingerbread for Captivate 2.3.x

Thanks with recovery it is working fine really smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by bjpjjs View Post
    Hi I flashed the this rom through the rom manager and it appearedd to flash ok and looks to be running quickly but still shows firmware 2.2.1 and rom xjws8 v 1..

Do I have to flash it like the old way through recovery?

Thx

Hi Dorian,

Is there a way to get pinch zoom in email and gmail?

I was also able to pair my phone via bluetooth w my hp laptop but not connect it due missing drivers?

thx

I have question, I tried continuum 4.0 and now want to go CM7 I want to make sure I do not mess this up, few questions (1) can I flash right to CM7 from continuum 4.0 since it is a eclair or froyo boot
    (2) can I just follow Dorians instructions on front page of Items to download:

Place these items on your -INTERNAL SD-:
    • update-cm-7-INITIAL-Captivate-signed.zip

and flash from there

(3) is it worth going to cm7 now or should I wait a little longer to see how Dorians XWJVB 2.3.3. rom

(4) do I have to flash a bootloader or does this version work with froyo bootloader

Thanks for your help

Just finished setting everything up after flashing to CM7 (Initial -> Nightly) from JS8
    Love it so far.
    Thanks Dorian!

one thing is: camera does not work on initial boot, but it works after going to stand-by and back.

Quote Originally Posted by bjpjjs View Post
    Hi Dorian,

Is there a way to get pinch zoom in email and gmail?

I was also able to pair my phone via bluetooth w my hp laptop but not connect it due missing drivers?

thx
    Not sure about connecting via Bluetooth but via USB you need Nexus S drivers. I would assume they would still be needed over Bluetooth. Dorian posted a zip with the drivers on the first or second page of the thread. You can also get them in the Android SDK.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Cm7 faq

This is from the official CyanogenMod board.

Q: Which devices does CyanogenMod support from the SGS family of phones?
    A: The supported devices are only the GSM variants, including the international I9000, I9000M, I9000T, Captivate (SGH-I897 and SGH-I896), and Vibrant (SGH-T959). If your model number is NOT one of the above phones, including I9000B, Fascinate 3G+ (SGH-T959D), and Vibrant 4G (SGH-T959V), then your device is not supported and these builds will not work on your phones. Please do not attempt to flash any builds as we cannot guarantee that it won't potentially turn your phone into a brick. Look on the wiki for a more complete list of supported and unsupported devices.

Q: How do I root my phone?
    A: Please follow the instructions available on the wiki.

Q: How do I install/update CyanogenMod 7 on my Samsung Captivate?
    A: As we have no stable builds, every nightly comes with the risk that it will not install, will not boot, or will not scratch your eyes out in your sleep. Until a stable build arises, the best chance of getting CyanogenMod is download the latest nightly from the buildfarm, place it on your internal SD card and install through ClockworkMod Recovery (you do not need to use ROM Manager and you will have ClockworkMod Recovery through the root process listed above).

Q: I'm about to update to the latest nightly, what can I expect?
    A: Every nightly will likely come with several changes which can be tracked here. Before updating, it is considered a good idea to backup your last known, good configuration. The process for booting into recovery and creating a nandroid backup is covered on the wiki. You are then free to install the latest nightly.

Q: I have installed the latest nightly, but my phone never finishes booting, what do I do?
    A: Nightlies come with the expressed possibility that they may not work. If you encounter this, please reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery and restore your last known, good nandroid backup.

Q: How do I restore a nandroid backup if the phone doesn't boot properly?
    A: Boot into recovery mode and then follow the instructions from the wiki. Once it's complete, reboot your phone and you should be back to where you were before you attempt to install.

Q: After installing CyanogenMod, I don't have the Android Market or GMail applications, how do I get those on my phone?
    A: CyanogenMod does not ship with Google's proprietary apps due to a licensing issue. The latest version of the Google Apps can be found here. Place the zip on your internal SD card and install with ClockworkMod Recovery.

Q: I don't like the default radio that ships with CyanogenMod, where can I find a replacement modem?
    A: More modems can be found here. Place the corresponding zip on the SD card and install with ClockworkMod Recovery.
    NOTE: The KB1 modem is a Captivate modem that lacks HSUPA and voice processing; it is intended only to be used by people whose Captivates cannot run I9000 modems (a very rare hardware defect, if your phone is under warranty, get it replaced! Even I had to).

Q: What are some tips for preserving battery life on this ROM?
    A: 3G seems to be one of the larger battery drainers, as well as GPS, bluetooth, and wifi. Disabling these will help your battery get through the day.

Q: I tried to disable 3G but the phone enters a loop of force closes that make the phone unusable, how do I fix or prevent this?
    A: Because of a bug in the 2G/3G toggle code, this isn't possible without first disabling any active data connections and then enabling them after toggling 2G/3G. If the phone is already force closing, the quickest way to fix it is by performing a factory reset from recovery (you will lose all your apps and settings, unfortunately).

Q: When will third party features like "Voodoo Sound" and "Voodoo Color" be integrated into the kernel?
    A: The Voodoo Control App is now compatible with the stock kernel and appears as sound driver version 9. Voodoo color will not be merged, but more pleasing color temperatures have been added to the stock kernel.

Q: I don't like the softkeys along the bottom lighting up whenever I have a notificiation (aka LED notifications), how do I disable them?
    A: Open Settings, CyanogenMod settings, Interface, LED notifications, Miscellaneous, and then select the apps you want to disable LED notifications for and select "None" as the flash color option.
    NOTE: This has been disabled on any nightlies after nightly 17, until a more favorable global solution can be found, as we do not have an RGB notification LED and just a simple on/off LED.

Q: I think I found a bug, how do I report it?
    A: Short answer, you don't. Because we have no stable builds, we run what are called nightlies. Bug reporting for CyanogenMod does not allow the reporting of bugs on nightlies as they are considered unstable at best (and phone destroying at worst). Basically, you will "have to live with it" until we have a stable build.

Q: I see a lot of people running different themes, where can I get these?
    A: CyanogenMod ships with the T-Mobile Theme Engine integrated, search the Android Market for "theme engine" or browse the forums for themes. Install the application and run the "Theme Chooser" application and select the theme you'd like. Reboot the phone to fully apply the theme.

Q: I miss the video player/music player/contacts/phone/launcher application from Samsung ROM's, how can I install these?
    A: You cannot. Many (if not all) of those applications have specific hooks into Samsung's framework which do not exist on this ROM. There are plenty of market alternatives available.

Q: I want to go back to another ROM, but when I try to restore a nandroid backup of another ROM, it doesn't boot... what did I do wrong?
    A: Because this ROM is set up to use the MTD partition layout instead of Samsung's BML partition layout, you must use ODIN or heimdall with a full firmware including a PIT file and repartition.

Q: Why can't I see the latest nightlies on ROM Manager? Will I always have to download manually to install updates?
    A: Access to nightlies requires a ROM Manager premium license for the convenience (you should consider buying the license anyway, as Koush had a strong hand in helping us merge to mainline). These are the same files from the link earlier, ROM Manager is just a convenience. Once a stable release is available, you can download without a premium license from the "stable" section. Be sure to update ROM manager to say your recovery is Captivate (MTD) with ClockworkMod 3.x (it will give you a warning about it not being supported, ignore it and say ok) and then reboot your phone. Check under "Download ROMs" and the nightlies should appear.

Q: The phone turns on whenever I plug it in, is there any way to prevent this?
    A: For now, unfortunately, no. Low power mode isn't supported in the kernel right now, and may be implemented in future builds.

Q: How do I get GTalk to work with the back camera?
    A: Video chat requires a specific version of GTalk which is only available in a Google Apps package with a date of 05032011 and later. This version of Google Apps is not shareable through the mirror system as it only works on neon boards (aka Galaxy S/Nexus S). A quick google search will yield the results you need.

Q: How do I enter download mode?
    A: The use of the "adb reboot download" command isn't functional yet. The only method to enter download mode right now the standard "three finger salute" (or a USB jig).

Q: I inserted my external SD card and CyanogenMod tells me the card is damaged or corrupt and needs to be formatted, what should I do?
    A: Some cards (especially 16 GB and larger) seem to be behaving oddly and are incompatible with the current builds. Please try another card and be careful formatting through android. Android/CM7 is hard-wired to think there is only ever one SD card and may actually format your internal SD card, this will hopefully be resolved sooner rather than later.
    NOTE: This should be fixed by nightly 17 and later.

Q: I can't seem to find the files from the external SD card on /mnt/sdcard/external_sd, where are they located?
    A: Because of how we have implemented it, the external SD card is located at /mnt/emmc now. This allows it to still be scanned by the Media Scanner.

Q: Where can I get the Nexus S drivers for use with adb? (Windows Only)
    A: Download and install the Android SDK here then download "Google USB Driver package, revision 4"
    Once downloaded, right click on "Computer", "Manage", "Device Manager", "Nexus S", "Update Driver Software", and point it to wherever you installed the SDK.

Q: Do I really need to be on Froyo to install this ROM?
    Q: I'm already on Gingerbread from Samsung, why do I have to downgrade before installing?
    A: Samsung included new bootloaders in the Gingerbread updates that are incompatible with CyanogenMod 7. They break a number of things including, but not limited to, graphical distortion at boot time and broken external SD card. To fix this would require reworking the entire kernel to be based off of Samsung's code drop instead of the far more open (and better written) Nexus S source code. If you don't like it, complain to Samsung for introducing new bootloaders.

Guys, I need some help. I am somewhat a noob at flashing and other crap like this, and I seem to have screwed up my phone badly.

I know this might not be the thread to ask on, but is there a way to get cm7 running on my captivate again?

When I attempt to install, I end up with status code 7.

EDIT: I noticed i didnt include much info....

Samsung Captivate.
    2.1 > Flashed to speedmod via heimdall > Installed this variant of CM7 > attempted to install gapps-mdpi-20101213-signed.zip > total phone corruption. After that I reinstalled the speedmod kernel > Formatted everything I could (Bad move ) > attempted to reinstall cm7 = status 7.

hope the extra info helps

EDIT 2: lol, after some searching around, it seems that its just a soft brick... but still, a brick none the less... Im going to try odin-ing back to stock instead of cwm. I personally think its CWM but everythings pointing to a corrupted kernel. /me crosses fingers and prays that his head doesnt explode...

Quote Originally Posted by wyattwic View Post
    Guys, I need some help. I am somewhat a noob at flashing and other crap like this, and I seem to have screwed up my phone badly.

I know this might not be the thread to ask on, but is there a way to get cm7 running on my captivate again?

When I attempt to install, I end up with status code 7.

EDIT: I noticed i didnt include much info....

Samsung Captivate.
    2.1 > Flashed to speedmod via heimdall > Installed this variant of CM7 > attempted to install gapps-mdpi-20101213-signed.zip > total phone corruption. After that I reinstalled the speedmod kernel > Formatted everything I could (Bad move ) > attempted to reinstall cm7 = status 7.

hope the extra info helps

EDIT 2: lol, after some searching around, it seems that its just a soft brick... but still, a brick none the less... Im going to try odin-ing back to stock instead of cwm. I personally think its CWM but everythings pointing to a corrupted kernel. /me crosses fingers and prays that his head doesnt explode...
    Actually it could be the g-apps you installed. Captivates are hdpi, not mdpi. Get back to stock.
    I say start with the RC1 since it's the most stable release. And this is a good version of gapps. Of course if you have the premium version of clockworkmod you can just do it all through it's download rom function. I d/l every nightly through clockwork and its completely hassle free.
    RC1 Thread
    CM7 Thread

thanks, Ill give it a shot.

I know this is going to sound like a retarded question.... How do I get around the (status 7) glitch?

Last two lines...

(status 7)
    Instillation aborted (or something like that)

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links