- The Gingerbread Beta Thread -

This is a discussion on - The Gingerbread Beta Thread - within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Can't wait.. Once again I will be your test subject.. This new build shy of that damn email issue is stable as hell.. The battery ...

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: - The Gingerbread Beta Thread -

Can't wait.. Once again I will be your test subject.. This new build shy of that damn email issue is stable as hell.. The battery life is AMAZING as well.. Havnt run into any real problems per say so far that stand out..

A couple issues though..

I use Launcher Pro when in apps list you go sideways on phone all the icons get put on top of each other in the top left.. scrolling up or down will make it fix it.. But first rotate screws it up.. I list this here because Launcher pro in your first 2 releases doesn't do this.. So it is this latest patch since the camera fix.

Netflix doesn't install from market.. Wont list it via ATT market.. And when I go to market.android.com and try to push load it there I get the phone is not compatible.. I side loaded the one from XDA works fine.

Text messaging doesn't show the pictures of your Facebook contacts.. It will show hard set photos.. In the contact list it will show the Facebook photos.. But inside SMS it will not show them..

As I test harder I will report what I run across.. I am running 1.7 BTW..

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Update for JVH!

- Download Here -

Changelog:
    Removes the Netflix app that came with the ROM (that wasn't supposed to be there)
    Adds JVB's EMail client and EMail widget
    Adds a new Music Player
    Updates the build info to where you can download the market version of Netflix and not have "this device is not supported"

You guys tell me what you think of the new media player... I've been using it for a while, and while it's still in alpha... it's pretty nice! I really like it!
    The music player works excellent i wouldn't gave guessed it was in alpha nice! i like it !

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

flashing tonight..thanks dorian....man i wish i knew how to do the things you can

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by indiadelta View Post
    Dorian,
    The SGS II mail client seems a little buggy. It lags for 10-15 seconds pretty regularly. Hopefully the new Beta will sort that out.
    Also, will you be posting the new Beta here, or back over on the Beta thread?
    And will it need to be flashed over stock JVB, or can we flash directly over JVH 2.0?
    I for one am looking forward to getting the bouncy menus back.
    Thanks again!
    LOL. I'm not exactly sure what to expect with the client, but it seems ok to me? (with this beta anyways)

Posting here... Right here.... - Download Here -

This can be flashed over the top of any Gingerbread ROM you have installed. This is a full wipe edition.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

So I installed JVH Beta 3. Looked really good on the install.. All worked and booted up.. Now here is where it could have been something I did. I am meerly reporting the issue and not blaming it on the ROM but more for just informational.

I use https://market.android.com/mylibrary to push my apps to my phone. I do this because it is just super fast to do so. Click the app, click install then click ok.. Rinse wash repeat.. Install all my stuff back on in like 3 minutes.

Now with that said.. I get all my apps pushed onto Beta 3.. Now when you do this really quick sometimes items don't install and get unsuccessful. This is when you go through your pull down bar and select the ones that failed and manually reinstall them...

So also let me say I use LauncherPro.. Just a better desktop to me.. Ok.. So now here is where the problem went.. I clicked home after doing all this and get presented with the "You have multiple Homes which one do you want to use" I selected Always USE this action then selected LauncherPro.

The screen froze up and then the phone rebooted.

Came back up pretty fast and was at my password prompt.. I logged into the phone and no launcherpro home.. Weird.. Maybe it didnt save that preference as it did lock up.. Click on applications.. NOTHING that I installed was on there.. Oh and no Market now either.. Most other programs default are there.. Just not Market..

So no way for me to reinstall onto the phone.. So I then hit the power button and selected Recovery.. I am going to blow on a JVH Beta 3 again as perhaps it was just a corrupted launcherpro issue.. Reboots right into the OS again.. Weird.. Screw it 3 button (Well 2 button now) to get into recovery.. Blow on JVH Beta 3 and this time slowly install all the applications.

Now it is all working fine.. Email is SUPER SWEET! Going to have sex with it.. All applications are working fine.. LauncherPro is working fine.. Will watch and report back any other issues..

I notice this version doesnt collapse down the Widgets Menu.. They are ALL listed in one big list.. Interesting approach
    Build number
    "Dorian's JVH" doesn't list Beta 3

Request:
    Screen Power option under development to allow for no screen blanking when plugged in.
    Ability to bypass security force with Exchange Sync
    Multiple Screen Lock Options

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    ^LOL. Yea. Sometimes when apps come real quick from nowhere, things get hairy. I don't really know why. I'm thinking something is corrupting the filesystem in the background, but I can't isolate it.

About the widgets, I forgot "appwidgetpicker.apk". That sorts widgets.

Sidenote to everyone, "Recovery" under power menu doesn't seem to work... at all. I modified a few frameworks for a few optimizations and some things just make you tilt your head and squint your eyes. Seems the optimizations work, but broke a few items. Screen lock options are coming... Still getting those stable with my frameworks.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Also a couple other notes from my initial testing as well..

I installed MoboPlayer.. As I went to My Files to go to my videos I selected the Video and it should have come up with Play with MoboPlayer or VideoPlayer.. It came up with com.app.something.something.android or VideoPlayer.. I found that strange so I manually loaded MoboPlayer and did the "Pass" tutorial screen then went back to My Files and selected the video again and this time it showed MoboPlayer and VideoPlayer.

I have installed an app called TapFish.. I have not loaded it since I installed it yet.. I was watching a movie in MoboPlayer and I got a force close on Tapfish. Which was strange since I hadn't even loaded it.

There seems to be small lags here and there which I cant hone in on as I don't know if it is from just mere system or if it is something else. If others are seeing that perhaps they can elaborate on that.

The battery life seems miles above JVB. Screen is highest power which is what it should be Unlike JVB's Phone..

Mail seems to be working great.. Thanks for that man.. It is pure sexiness!

Keep up the great work man.. And remember I make a good guinea pig.

I tried the recovery thing too, and saw the exact same behavior (reboot directly back to OS), but since Dorian has explained it, it's no big deal. However, when it came back up I was getting lots of FCs on some of my installed apps. So I powered off and booted back up, and had the same issue. Not really sure what to do at that point, I wiped the dalvik and fixed permissions in recovery (maybe not the right thing to do?).

After that, I had the same issue Fluffy did with all my apps disappearing. I still had icons for them on my home screen, but they were not in the app drawer, so I couldn't run any of them. Market was also conspicuously absent.

So, fresh flash and everything is working again. I tried to recreate the problem, but I haven't been able to do so. Very strange.

Also, Reboot does the same thing as Recovery under the power button menu. And after attempting a reboot, I have successfully recreated the missing apps issue. No fix permissions or dalvik wipe this time, just Reboot from the power menu, which hangs, then goes immediately to kernel boot animation. When the OS came back up, no apps and no Market. The only difference between this last reboot attempt that wiped everything and the first attempt to recreate the problem, is that I had installed all my apps again manually. I may start going through and installing them one by one and rebooting in between to see if I can isolate any of them that may be causing the issue.

I think I found it. If you connect to your google account, then do any kind of reboot at all, when the OS comes back up, the Market is gone. That happens without doing anything else at all. Fresh flash, go through initial setup, sign in to google, reboot through either Reboot, Recovery, Power Off and manual restart, or adb reboot. Every time without fail, the Market is gone from the app drawer.

I also have been having trouble with signal through all these reboots and reflashes. Cell has been weaker than usual and wifi isn't consistently connecting to remembered networks without power-cycling the wifi. The phone also rebooted on me randomly 3 different times while I was trying to manipulate wifi settings. Twice during initial setups after flashing, once in the wifi settings accessed through the settings menu.

Sorry to throw all this at you. Hopefully some of it will help.

So once again the same issue as before. I have been running 3 for a day.. After my last issue.. I was surfing the web this time.. Phone locked up. I rebooted it.. It came back up with nothing on it.. Most of the Default programs minus Market... Re-blowing back JVH 3 Beta again.. I am glade I am very good at restoring.. Seems almost like the half the system gets deleted.

So I just reinstalled everything again. This time when reinstalling I did a wipe cache, wipe factory reset, dalvik clear then installed JVH Beta 3..

After installing all my programs alot of them FC first time I launched them.. Then when relaunched worked fine.. It may have something to do with the configurations being corrupted.. I dont know..

OK, I’m getting ready to take the plunge from UGJK3 V6 to Dorian’s latest Captivate love juice. I’ve scoured everything I can get my hands on, but have a question:
    Step 3, Connect the phone in download mode – I get the phone in download mode, but it does not “register”, all I get is “0:[COM4]” in the first little box. Also, the phone doesn’t show up with a drive letter or in the devices list. I suspect that I don’t have the correct drivers, but not sure what to do… Windows 7 lists "Samsung USB Composite Driver", but that doesn't seem to be working. Downloaded the Captivate PC drivers from xdaDevelopers ([STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers) and ran the install, but it seems like a long list of options and I'm not sure which to use and how to tie that driver to my phone.
    Any help?

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links