Modem options - flash through CWM

This is a discussion on Modem options - flash through CWM within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Hello forum, I'd like to get some answers/opinions on several things about software modems: 1) What exactly does the modem do? I know what it ...

Thread: Modem options - flash through CWM

Modem options - flash through CWM

Hello forum,

I'd like to get some answers/opinions on several things about software modems:

1) What exactly does the modem do? I know what it is, but does it affect data speed, 3G coverage, voice coverage, or all of the above? Would a different modem possibly give me service in areas where I have No Service now?

2) Are there any compatibility issues between kernels an modems, like a certain modem would work great with one kernel and crappy with another? I know you want to match i9000 ROMs with i9000 modems, i897 ROMs with i897 modems.

3) Is the mobile SpeedTest.net app the best way to compare these modems against one another for speed?

I'm currently running Continuum 5.4.1 (JVH) with CWM3 and the Talon 0.1.7 test11 kernel. I've used the Speed Test app to test the following modems (with no clear winner): XXJQ1, TDVJP9, XXJVE, UGKC1, UGJL2, and XXJVK. I'm using JQ1 right now because I got slightly faster speeds last night.

Overall though, I'm not seeing consistent results from any of these. Download speeds range from 0.5 Mb/s to 2.0 Mb/s and upload speeds range from 0.07 Mb/s to 1.5 Mb/s - even using the same modem.

Not sure if this is kosher, but here's a link to the current i897 and i9000 modems from XDA:
    [Modems] - Q4 2010 & Q1 2011 (Froyo & Gingerbread) - WCDMA 850 enabled - xda-developers

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by mletchworth View Post
    Hello forum,
    Quote Originally Posted by mletchworth View Post

I'd like to get some answers/opinions on several things about software modems:

1) What exactly does the modem do? I know what it is, but does it affect dataspeed, 3G coverage, voice coverage, or all of the above? Would a differentmodem possibly give me service in areas where I have No Service now?

2) Are there any compatibility issues between kernels an modems, like a certainmodem would work great with one kernel and crappy with another? I know you wantto match i9000 ROMs with i9000 modems, i897 ROMs with i897 modems.

3) Is the mobile SpeedTest.net app the best way to compare these modems againstone another for speed?

I'm currently running Continuum 5.4.1 (JVH) with CWM3 and the Talon 0.1.7test11 kernel. I've used the Speed Test app to test the following modems (withno clear winner): XXJQ1, TDVJP9, XXJVE, UGKC1, UGJL2, and XXJVK. I'm using JQ1right now because I got slightly faster speeds last night.

Overall though, I'm not seeing consistent results from any of these. Downloadspeeds range from 0.5 Mb/s to 2.0 Mb/s and upload speeds range from 0.07 Mb/sto 1.5 Mb/s - even using the same modem.

Not sure if this is kosher, but here's a link to the current i897 and i9000modems from XDA:
    [Modems] - Q4 2010& Q1 2011 (Froyo & Gingerbread) - WCDMA 850 enabled -xda-developers
    1) Modem does all of the above, you hit it on the nose. Different modems works great for different areas. Dorian LOVES JK4 but I do not receive voice calls when I use that modem. JK4 and JL3 and some other I9000 froyo modems also gave a lot of echo when I called out. JVK & JVO was ok and so far my fav has been KC1 and I live in the San Jose, CA. That was the only modem that worked for me in Vegas (all the iPhones around me and I was the only one with a working phone

2) Hit that on the nose too, always stick with the I9000 kernel and I9000 modems. I get bootloops if I use I897 modem with I9000 kernel, some do not get bootloops but the voice does not work.

3) Speedtest is not an accurate tool. With the same modem in same spot and done 5 test, not 1 was close to being the same as the other. There is no real good test other than playing with it for a week. I can say at the moment KC1 is my fav. JP9 that comes with the ROM you are using drains my battery like crazy when I use the phone as a phone. I had 20% drain on a 10 minute call with JP9 and 7% drain on a 30 minute call with KC1. Just remember, this works great for me, does not mean it will be the same results for you.
    I have gotten an average of 2.5 - 3 with a lot of modems, but I am in the Bay Area where there are a lot of towers and new ones going up from the radio ads I heard from ATT.
    Definitely read that link you posted. A lot of good info in there.

Thanks so much ninja. It all kind of makes sense except no one is really saying what the difference is in these modems, besides their source and compatibility. Seems like there's a new one out every week or so, but who knows why and what's different than the previous one. And apparently newer isn't necessarily better since Dorian swears by JK4, which as been out since November.....

I'm just happy to have the option of having 6 or 7 different modems on my SD card and switching back and forth with CWM.

When it comes to the modem itself, each one is from a different release of updated build of either eclair (old), froyo (where JK4 came from as well as JL3 and others) and gingerbread (JVK & JVO)

If you looked at the original leaked froyo modems from ATT, one of them had a really bad battery drain (something like 20+% in 10 minutes) Modems like KB1 is ATT and released with official KB1 froyo update. Thats how a modem can be better than the previous.

Each modem also comes from their respective carrier, a bunch from Europe, China or throughout Asia, South America, as well as Canada. The first few letters in the modem name has the carrier so TL... is from Telus I believe. I use to know the list but really, the point is that as long as it works for you in your area... thats all that matters.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Modems are differentiated by geographical locations... Some modems work better in some locations that others. JK4 is really, really great in rural 850MHz locations, where JL3 is more metro 850Mhz. The others, especially the JVx modems are 1900MHz modems that work well in metro locations.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Jk4 will work with a cm7 I897 correct?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dcktp37 View Post

yes, CM7 is based on I9000 ROMS so you are good.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by dcktp37 View Post

Yes, but make sure you get the CM7 installer and not the regular Samsung installer. With CM7, the modem firmware is stored in a different location than with Samsung ROM's.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links