Gingerbread kernels

This is a discussion on Gingerbread kernels within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Hey,does any body knows what is the difference between Talon kernel and Xcal's kernel? I see both of them are reoriented kernels from I9000. Xcals ...

Thread: Gingerbread kernels

Gingerbread kernels

Hey,does any body knows what is the difference between Talon kernel and Xcal's kernel?

I see both of them are reoriented kernels from I9000.

Xcals uses voodooo for the lagfix while with Talon you need to use an apk to convert the FS.

I have been using Xcla's since I moved into gingerbread but doing my daily readings over XDA a see a good bunch of new kernels are opting for Talon. Even when it is still flagged as DEV. This right here is the biggest thing holding me back form trying it.

And another question, are both kernels compatible? I mean since they both are I9000 I would suspect that a ROM that was packed with Talon should work with Xcal's. I have never made a ROM my self so I suspect that deciding between kernels with be a matter of stability, hacks, drivers and performance but most of the base should be the same.

Am I wrong?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

First and most importantly, the BIGGEST difference is xcal will not implement Overclocking or Undervolting. Besides that, Talon has a lot of features a lot of people are looking for that I am not familiar with such as Tun support and CIFS Support.

You can change up the kernels when in a ROM but you always have to make sure you disable the Ext4 format that Talon uses or disable voodoo that Xcal uses (both format the system to use Ext4). But always always always put your phone back to RFS before flashing a new ROM or kernel, you can get a bootloop if you do not.

Another difference is xcal still uses CWM 2.5 recovery and Talon uses CWM 3 recovery. One issue that icezar always points out that if you flash Talon and then flash xcal, a lot of apps or going to be "removed" because of the different signatures (or something of this nature that removes the apps. I countered this issue by changing to xcal in the zip prior to flashing.

Both kernels are compatible with most of the I9000 Gingerbread ROMS. Any kernel you find that supports JVH supports JVO ROMS too. But you can not use JVB on JVH and JVO, you'll more than likely get a bootloop. Xcal has bot kernels available for download, Talon has #17 that supports JVH and JVO but you have to hunt for it because it is still a test build so its not in the OP of his thread.

You hit it on the nose that deciding between the two would be a matter of stability, hacks, and performance. I myself prefer xcal because of stability, I am not a fan of overclocking the phone since its is already friggen fast or undervolting (can cause sleep death) so I stick with xcal.

Talon still gets a lot of updates from the Dev exists and xcal updates when needed.

Hey nakedninja42 thanks for all those details!
    I was not that lost then.
    I have been wondering about this for a while now so this morning I decided to try for my self.
    I flashed APEX 6.4.1 which is a JVO and uses Talon.
    I was using Dorian's JVH2.0 and so far I do feel a better performance with Dorian's.
    I know there are a lot of opinions around Quadrant but I use it to get a general idea of performance.
    I'm using Talon 1.7 with EXT4 and Quadrant shows 1300 which is a lot lower than I was getting with Dorian's. Also it feels not that smooth and I got my first reboot (phone did it it self) with Dorian's, I got 0 in like 5 of 6 days.
    I'll do the test my self (only way to learn and have a valid opinion :D) changing the kernel to xcal with EXT4 and see how it behaves.
    I really don't care about messing with overclocking or undervolting my phone I love the hummingbird just as it is.

I'll post the results as soon as I have them

I gave up using Quadrant as a performance tool not because of other people’s opinion but when I saw it give me a 900 on stock Gingerbread. I had been using stock JVB at that time for a week before flashing my first custom from Icezar. I thought my score was going to be a lot higher than that considering it was a lot more responsive and work a lot better than any froyo ROM let alone when Iwas getting scores at 1600+ on froyo.

Right now I'm running Cont. 5.5 with mattedblue theme and content. I thoughtabout JV9 ROMs but I just saw this morning that another 3 new builds have been released for the Asia market. I am curious to see what is going to be developed now since I always read that Asia version is close setup to the Captivate phone so the ROMS are a lot better compared to the Europe releases.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Another major difference between the two is that Talon uses CWM3.0 and Xcal uses CWM2.5.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links