Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is a discussion on Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; I noticed on XDA that a dev had a link for a rooted, deodexed, debloated stock kk4 with CWM. I was wondering if it was ...

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

I noticed on XDA that a dev had a link for a rooted, deodexed, debloated stock kk4 with CWM. I was wondering if it was okay to flash this over the KK4 stock rom on the first page of this thread. I wouold like to have CWM on my phone but am not confident enough to try something that requires many steps. I like the ease that this thread uses to install and root. Anybody tried that version from TRusselo on XDA?

Quote Originally Posted by hatgirl223 View Post
    I noticed on XDA that a dev had a link for a rooted, deodexed, debloated stock kk4 with CWM. I was wondering if it was okay to flash this over the KK4 stock rom on the first page of this thread. I wouold like to have CWM on my phone but am not confident enough to try something that requires many steps. I like the ease that this thread uses to install and root. Anybody tried that version from TRusselo on XDA?
    There should be no problems flashing any custom Captivate Gingerbread ROMs over a stock Captivate GB ROM as long as you have CWM installed.

Getting CWM is almost identical to flashing the root kernel and stock kernel in my instructions. The only way to have CWM is by flashing a kernel that has the support. So instead of flashing a regular stock kernel after flashing root, you substitute it with a stock kernel w/CWM. So in this particular case, you need to find a compatible kernel for build KK4. I am using Samurai 1.4 from Kyuta Syuko. The only thing about that kernel is that its not completely done yet so there will be another update from that Dev today or tomorrow.

Have not tried TRusselo ROM yet and I noticed Johnsondr80 did an update for Fusion. I like IlluminatedOne ROMs and will probably flash his when he updates his build.
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

Some noob questions ...... I have rooted my phone in the past, & have played around with flashing a low end tablet, but NEVER flashed my phone. I just recently had my captivate replaced by AT&T and it is at stock 2.2 w/ no root. Do I just use the directions from the 1st page of this forum? And do I do step "2"? Also any pointers since this will be my first attempt at updating the ROM?

Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by keithn24 View Post
    Some noob questions ...... I have rooted my phone in the past, & have played around with flashing a low end tablet, but NEVER flashed my phone. I just recently had my captivate replaced by AT&T and it is at stock 2.2 w/ no root. Do I just use the directions from the 1st page of this forum? And do I do step "2"? Also any pointers since this will be my first attempt at updating the ROM?

Thanks in advance!!
    The big question is, are you wanting to just root the 2.2 you have or flash Gingerbread?

2.2 requires a different set of instructions and a different kernel but if you are wanting to flash Gingerbread you'll need to download the files in Step 1 and 3 and proceed from there.

The second step in the instructions are for people who have the ODIN one-click for going back to 2.1. I do not provide it since there are versions out there that can brick a phone if you are not careful, hence why its optional in my instructions.

If you Google ODIN JF6, you can find the original thread and get the proper instructions for doing the clear. Since you are starting out with a new phone that has not flashed CM7/Miui or other types of custom ROMs, you do not need it. I do recommend reading all about it and having it handy, it can save your phone if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should have mentioned that I wanted to upgrade to GB. I got brave yesterday afternoon and did steps 1 & 3 - worked flawlessly!!

Now I assuming that step 4 " Flash Gingerbread KK4 using Odin (see image attached) (ODIN v1.85 link: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!) " is just updating the 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 and it would work similar to step 3 except browsing to the tar file??

I may root it as well, once I see how well the upgrade process goes.

Also, do you know if GB w/ captivate has the ability of Bluetooth voice dialing? I travel allot in my car & have a Blueant S4, but can't take advantage of the voice dialing with this phone. It would be super if I could get it to function.

Quote Originally Posted by keithn24 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should have mentioned that I wanted to upgrade to GB. I got brave yesterday afternoon and did steps 1 & 3 - worked flawlessly!!

Now I assuming that step 4 " Flash Gingerbread KK4 using Odin (see image attached) (ODIN v1.85 link: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!) " is just updating the 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 and it would work similar to step 3 except browsing to the tar file??

I may root it as well, once I see how well the upgrade process goes.

Also, do you know if GB w/ captivate has the ability of Bluetooth voice dialing? I travel allot in my car & have a Blueant S4, but can't take advantage of the voice dialing with this phone. It would be super if I could get it to function.
    You are right, step 3 is just to update from 2.3.3 to 2.3.5. The reason for doing step 3 is that KF1 was the only true Gingerbread release for our phone, each build since have been updates so they do not have all the same files that are in the 2.3.3 build, which is why I think step 3 is necessary. Download the ODIN 1.85 and place the tar in PDA and flash. No need to set re-partition or anything (see image of what should and should not be selected).

I have not tried out the Bluetooth voice dialing in a long time but if I remember correctly, the AT&T Captivate does not have Bluetooth voice support. The euro version of our phone does. This might not be true on Gingerbread since the last time I looked into it for myself was during froyo days 9 - 10 months ago after I got my phone, test it out and see if it does... if not we can see about which apk's in the I9000 has it and see if we can add it after you root.

Do you know of any changes, improvements, or bug fixes between KK2 vs. KK4?

Thanks

P.S. - I sometimes get a black screen with no response when I recieve a phone call - I can hear the ringtone, but can't do nothing about it... (KK2, with Samurai Kernel, CRT mod and Battery mod)

Thanks again for the info!! I successfully updated to 2.3.5, I'll give it a few days to make sure everything is working ok b4 I try to root. I will also try the Bluetooth voice tomorrow if I get the chance - will let you know the outcome. I really appreciate your help & advice, just trying to be a bit cautious so I don't brick my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ori26 View Post
    Do you know of any changes, improvements, or bug fixes between KK2 vs. KK4?

Thanks

P.S. - I sometimes get a black screen with no response when I recieve a phone call - I can hear the ringtone, but can't do nothing about it... (KK2, with Samurai Kernel, CRT mod and Battery mod)
    Can't really say much in change but I see Devs on XDA saying there was some bug fixes and did not elaborate.

Haven't gotten a non response from my screen while getting a call. Did wipe and upgrade to KK2 or just flash it? Consider flashing just to stock and see if it still happens.

Until you wrote the reply I moved to illuminance 3.0 that you recomended before, works great

sent from my Samsung Captivate

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links