Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is a discussion on Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Quick Question, what if I never flashed my bootloaders and still have the Eclair/Froyo boot loader, can I just use heimdall to flash back to ...

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

Quick Question, what if I never flashed my bootloaders and still have the Eclair/Froyo boot loader, can I just use heimdall to flash back to stock without bootloaders, and then flash this new GB rom or do I have to flash captivate bootloader from samsung anyway. I used this method to go back to Dorians XWJS8 as it is faster and smoother than what I was running

Thanks

Really trying to avoid a bootloader flash if I can avoid it and not really wanting to use CM7 yet until it is out of beta

Quote Originally Posted by tonyzz View Post
    Quick Question, what if I never flashed my bootloaders and still have the Eclair/Froyo boot loader, can I just use heimdall to flash back to stock without bootloaders, and then flash this new GB rom or do I have to flash captivate bootloader from samsung anyway. I used this method to go back to Dorians XWJS8 as it is faster and smoother than what I was running

Thanks

Really trying to avoid a bootloader flash if I can avoid it and not really wanting to use CM7 yet until it is out of beta
    If you never flashed an I9000 ROM like Dorian's Gingerbread releases than you can flash back to stock using the heimdall and follow the guide to getting Captivate Gingerbread running. The warnings put up are for those who flashed I9000 Gingerbread since they have different bootloaders.

Since the new Gingerbread release is either Odin One-Click or using Odin 1.82 provided by SamFirmware.com, its almost impossible to flash without getting the new bootloaders, but you also have less risk involved on bricking unlike I9000 Gingerbread.

I am still looking for instructions on using Heimdall and how different it is than ODIN but I have not seen any written up. I have never had a problem with ODIN anyways so... don't fix what ain't broken.

On a side note, I really enjoyed CM7 a lot, regardless of still in beta state. My only issue delt with modems and none worked for me here in my area (I tried a lot of modems). If modems are not an issue for you in your area, CM7 is really really stable now on the latest builds (an occasional nightly might break something but thats what reading about other peoples issues help save the phone from a bad nightly :D).

Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    My only issue delt with modems and none worked for me here in my area (I tried a lot of modems).
    Tried the newer ones yet?
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie5000 View Post
    Tried the newer ones yet?
    Yes, but as new as two weeks ago when I was testing it out. JVO was the last one I used from Gingerbread, KC1 and KB1 just to name a couple. I tried most of the ones listed at the modem link for CM7.

Hi I wanted to thank you guys and ask a question

Hi, I've used the Odin-1-Click to flash to GingerBread
    And it worked flawlessly
    Thank you so much!
    I was afraid my phone is a bit bricked cause I wasn't getting signal most of the time after using a custom rom
    Thank you so much!!!

1. I wanted to ask you something - is it O.K. that Kies doesn't recognize my phone?
    Is it because this rom is a Beta or something? or something with my phone is wrong?

Other than that everything is fine, thank God, The signal is great and the phone is fast

2.How can I get rid of all the junk from the custom rom? without complete wipe? (or should I wipe?)

Quote Originally Posted by ori26 View Post
    Hi, I've used the Odin-1-Click to flash to GingerBread
    And it worked flawlessly
    Thank you so much!
    I was afraid my phone is a bit bricked cause I wasn't getting signal most of the time after using a custom rom
    Thank you so much!!!

1. I wanted to ask you something - is it O.K. that Kies doesn't recognize my phone?
    Is it because this rom is a Beta or something? or something with my phone is wrong?

Other than that everything is fine, thank God, The signal is great and the phone is fast

2.How can I get rid of all the junk from the custom rom? without complete wipe? (or should I wipe?)
    I am glad you were able to get Gingerbread on with no issues. :D

1) Kies might not be detecting your phone because A) It is rooted or B) This is a beta still like you mentioned. I'll try out Kies later but it could be because of those two reasons. (EDIT: I just installed and updated kies mini, it showed that I have an unregistered devices which I am guessing is the same message you received? It could be the fact that we are not running the official update yet of Gingerbread for our phones.)

2) If you still have stuff from your previous ROM still showing up, then you should do a factory reset. But if you are referring to removing the ATT Bloatware, I copied this from this link http://www.attdroids.com/forum/samsu...y-trace-t.html

Remove AT&T Bloatware Apps

Must have root and BusyBox installed before performing this process!
    1. Open up Android Market and search/download “Titanium Backup”
    2. Make sure your phone is not “Mounted” with USB
    3. Press the Backup/Restore button
    4. Click on each app and press un-install if you’d like to get rid of it. Do not delete apps off of this list, unless you know it is safe! This deletes these potentially forever… so be sure about things!
      Delete-able:
      • AT&T Navigator
      • AT&T Radio
      • AT&T Maps
      • AT&T Music
      • AT&T Mobile Hotspots
      • Mobile Banking
      • Mobile Video
      • Where
      • YPmobile
      • AT&T FamilyMap
      • Mini Diary
      • MobiTV
      • Write and Go

Thank you for your quick answer

Hi, thank you for your quick answer,
    I didn't root the device yet, so I guess it's the second option... it's a beta

About the junk, I ment that if I go through the files in the internal sd card - I see all the folders of all the programs of the custom previous Rom
    1. So, would a factory reset erase those folders and files?
    I think I would backup my phone completely before the factory reset - since the last rom almost bricked my phone... &if all goes well - I'd make another backup afterwards

About the At&T junk - thanks for the info
    2. Would I be able to install those AT&T programs later on?

3. About the root image (instead of steps 4-5) -What Odin version should I use to do that?

Thanks again for everything!

Hi, thank you for your quick answer,
    I didn't root the device yet, so I guess it's the second option... it's a beta

About the junk, I ment that if I go through the files in the internal sd card - I see all the folders of all the programs of the custom previous Rom
    1. So, would a factory reset erase those folders and files?
    I think I would backup my phone completely before the factory reset - since the last rom almost bricked my phone... &if all goes well - I'd make another backup afterwards

About the At&T junk - thanks for the info
    2. Would I be able to install those AT&T programs later on?

3. About the root image (instead of steps 4-5) -What Odin version should I use to do that?

Thanks again for everything!
    1) I thought that you were seeing items installed from your previous ROM. If you want to focus on just the SD card, go to Settings>SD Card and phone storage and you'll see the option to format just the SD card. Of course... remember to backup anything you want to save first .

2)If you get the Titanium Backup https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result you can create a backup of the app before you remove it, that way if you decide to check it out later you can restore it.

3) When you flash the root kernel, make sure it goes in the PDA slot. I tested the file with ODIN 1.7 and 1.82 and had no issues.

Just to make sure I'm doing everything right:

1. I'll use Odin3 v1.70
    2. I would put the .tar file in the pda slot
    3. I would put the Phone in "Download mode" and connect it to the PC
    4. I noticed that "Auto Reboot" & "F.reset time" are both marked with V in the Odin by default - is that O.K.?
    5. I would hit Start

?

Just to make sure I'm doing everything right:

1. I'll use Odin3 v1.70
    2. I would put the .tar file in the pda slot
    3. I would put the Phone in "Download mode" and connect it to the PC
    4. I noticed that "Auto Reboot" & "F.reset time" are both marked with V in the Odin by default - is that O.K.?
    5. I would hit Start

?
    Yes, Yes, Yes, thats fine as long re-partition is not check and flash :D

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links