Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is a discussion on Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Hi Nakedninja42, Please review attached screen capture? As you can see from the top icon bluetooth is connected, I checked by calling voicemail just prior ...

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

Bluetooth devices disappearing

Hi Nakedninja42, Please review attached screen capture? As you can see from the top icon bluetooth is connected, I checked by calling voicemail just prior to taking the shot. However, neither my jawbone headset nor my car bluetooth shows up under bluetooth devices after it has been activated for a few minutes. They do show up when bluetooth is just enabled, but will disappear from the list shortly afterwards... any idea why that is?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jcylcruzin View Post
    Hi Nakedninja42, Please review attached screen capture? As you can see from the top icon bluetooth is connected, I checked by calling voicemail just prior to taking the shot. However, neither my jawbone headset nor my car bluetooth shows up under bluetooth devices after it has been activated for a few minutes. They do show up when bluetooth is just enabled, but will disappear from the list shortly afterwards... any idea why that is?

you must enable the visible option then everything gonna be ok...

Quote Originally Posted by ozozka_n View Post
    you must enable the visible option then everything gonna be ok...
    I shouldn't have to right? That just makes my phone discoverable. I already have my devices paired properly and they work fine. It's just that they are not listed on the devices list except when just turning on bluetooth or powering up the phone... which is an odd behavior...

I shouldn't have to right? That just makes my phone discoverable. I already have my devices paired properly and they work fine. It's just that they are not listed on the devices list except when just turning on bluetooth or powering up the phone... which is an odd behavior...
    pls enable the visible option then try to find your phone from other devices i think gonna be ok. if it doesnt work u can disable the visible option again.
    ı have the same problem with my old phone you can try this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    The Samsung ROMs are based off the RFS file system that is from Samsung. RFS is known to eventually get some lag and slow down after awhile so the Lagfix was introduced. Lagfix changes the file system from RFS to Ext4 which is the Linux file system format. Ext4 is not as prone to slow down after long use. In order to get Lagfix enabled, you need to flash a kernel that has the support like the Samurai mentioned before. Lagfix, Galaxy S Lagfix that work | Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements

CWM is ClockWorkMod. CWM is needed if you are going to flash a custom ROM or flash any "fixes" that you want to add to your phone. The recovery will allow to also do a factory reset WITHOUT wiping your internal memory where as such WILL wipe. Here is a start but in no means updated to include latest information about how to do it for our phones... more or less just something to read to get started. ClockworkMod Recovery - XDA-Developers
    If you check out any kernel threads on XDA that has CWM integrated (most do) and Lagfix, you should be able to get a guide on how to flash them. If you decide to flash anything, make sure that it is compatible with the build you are running. In this particular case, a kernel for I897 on KK4 build.
    Hi Nakedninja42, thank you for all the help! I am slowly coming to understand this better. It seems to me I will be much happier with my phones' performance once I have stock kk4 running a kernel that has EXT4 (as lagfix) and CWM. What I understood from your reply above is that changing the kernel will convert me from RFS to EXT4 but cause a memory wipe of all my apps and saved data (e.g. photos). That's where the CWM will come in handy and be able to recover all of that for me because of it's nandroid function right? I'm pretty sure I am missing something here because won't I need to run the backup with CWM before changing the kernel to one that is EXT4? Or did you mean that CWM will restore the stock RFS kernel without wiping/formatting the data (e.g. photos) to allow me easier updating in the future? Please, would you point me to some additional links; preferably tutorials that are more detailed regarding EXT4, CWM, KERNELs and such? I googled those terms and well, there were too many results to plow through. Sorry for the hassle.

Also, this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1299499 is what I found about the Samurai Kernel that you mentioned, but which CWM .tar is the right one? Dropbox, Crate, Ubuntu? Do I also need to do anything with those LMK settings mentioned? They seem really complicated and not what I will be needing for the moment. Your additional help would be greatly appreciated!

I just really need my phone to work properly, It irks me something fierce to have to wait for stuff to load all the time because of the lag. My buddies' HTC EVO 4G works so much better even with a slower CPU and that sux. Any further guidance would be much appreciated as that would help me frame my next questions to the other forums on XDA while I learn about all this.

Hi Nakedninja42, thank you for all the help! I am slowly coming to understand this better. It seems to me I will be much happier with my phones' performance once I have stock kk4 running a kernel that has EXT4 (as lagfix) and CWM. What I understood from your reply above is that changing the kernel will convert me from RFS to EXT4 but cause a memory wipe of all my apps and saved data (e.g. photos). That's where the CWM will come in handy and be able to recover all of that for me because of it's nandroid function right? I'm pretty sure I am missing something here because won't I need to run the backup with CWM before changing the kernel to one that is EXT4? Or did you mean that CWM will restore the stock RFS kernel without wiping/formatting the data (e.g. photos) to allow me easier updating in the future? Please, would you point me to some additional links; preferably tutorials that are more detailed regarding EXT4, CWM, KERNELs and such? I googled those terms and well, there were too many results to plow through. Sorry for the hassle.

Also, this link [Kernel][KK4] Samurai Kernel 1.4.3 [CWM][init.d][EXT4] - xda-developers is what I found about the Samurai Kernel that you mentioned, but which CWM .tar is the right one? Dropbox, Crate, Ubuntu? Do I also need to do anything with those LMK settings mentioned? They seem really complicated and not what I will be needing for the moment. Your additional help would be greatly appreciated!

I just really need my phone to work properly, It irks me something fierce to have to wait for stuff to load all the time because of the lag. My buddies' HTC EVO 4G works so much better even with a slower CPU and that sux. Any further guidance would be much appreciated as that would help me frame my next questions to the other forums on XDA while I learn about all this.
    First and foremost, installing a kernel that has both CWM and Lagfix (EXT4) WILL NOT format your phone. The only time that everything will get formatted is if you select Factory Reset in a stock recovery (CWM replaces stock recovery and will not wipe the internal/ external memory when doing a factory reset). nandroid backups are recommended before flashing anything such as a new kernel or a new ROM. What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]
    The Dropbox, Crate, Ubuntu links are just download links like multiupload. Each link is the same kernel just another mirror for downloading. The LMK settings are not anything to worry about, they are set by the kernel dev and can be modified by advanced users (I never mess with them).
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    First and foremost, installing a kernel that has both CWM and Lagfix (EXT4) WILL NOT format your phone. The only time that everything will get formatted is if you select Factory Reset in a stock recovery (CWM replaces stock recovery and will not wipe the internal/ external memory when doing a factory reset). nandroid backups are recommended before flashing anything such as a new kernel or a new ROM. What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]
    The Dropbox, Crate, Ubuntu links are just download links like multiupload. Each link is the same kernel just another mirror for downloading. The LMK settings are not anything to worry about, they are set by the kernel dev and can be modified by advanced users (I never mess with them).
    Nakedninja42, Ah! Thank you Thank you! This makes so much more sense now! So I assume then flashing the samurai kernel is just like flashing the "fugu root" kernel procedure then? And before upgrading future offering from you I should flash the original KK4 RFS kernel (like the step5 of root procedure) then flash the compatible kernel from samurai (or similar source) right? Lastly, I won't need to "fugu root" this after installing the Samurai kernel -to root just install superuser as mentioned on the post right?

Nakedninja42, Ah! Thank you Thank you! This makes so much more sense now! So I assume then flashing the samurai kernel is just like flashing the "fugu root" kernel procedure then? And before upgrading future offering from you I should flash the original KK4 RFS kernel (like the step5 of root procedure) then flash the compatible kernel from samurai (or similar source) right? Lastly, I won't need to "fugu root" this after installing the Samurai kernel -to root just install superuser as mentioned on the post right?
    Flashing the Samurai kernel is just like flashing the fugu.

When you flash future ROM leaks (not sure how many more are going to happen now that ICS is getting leaked from Samsung for the Galaxy S II) you need to disable lagfix before flashing. To do this, create a folder Voodoo (might already be on the SDCard) and create a file called "disable-lagfix" (without quotes) and reboot. It will go through and change back to RFS and then its safe to upgrade. When that is done, hopefully Samurai has been updated for the new build and your done.

For superuser, I read somewhere that you can flash the Samurai kernel and then go to market and install superuser and your rooted. Have not tried this method so I cannot verify it works.

Hi, all:

Is it true that there is a 2.37 Gingerbread release floating around for the AT&T Captivate? If so, where, and any instructions for upgarding from 2.3.5 ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by caricell View Post
    Hi, all:

Is it true that there is a 2.37 Gingerbread release floating around for the AT&T Captivate? If so, where, and any instructions for upgarding from 2.3.5 ?

Thanks!
    Can you post a link to where you saw this? I checked around, the build in this post is the latest from what I can find. I9000 had an update a few days ago but that was 2.3.6. That is different than what is stock for the Captivate (I897).

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links