Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is a discussion on Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Hi, Ninja: I believe I saw it on the xda site, but I dont recall exactly where. I'll see if I can find it again ...

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

Hi, Ninja:

I believe I saw it on the xda site, but I dont recall exactly where. I'll see if I can find it again and post the link.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    Can you post a link to where you saw this? I checked around, the build in this post is the latest from what I can find. I9000 had an update a few days ago but that was 2.3.6. That is different than what is stock for the Captivate (I897).

I beleive this is what I saw:

andrdcndy: Samsung Captivate ROM List

MIUI is not a Samsung ROM. MIUI and CM are both based on 2.3.7 and soon to be released (hopefully) ICS 4.0.3. Instructions for installing MIUI or CM7 & CM9 is different than installing stock AT&T ROM found in the first post. Please see that forum thread for further details.
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

Flashing the Samurai kernel is just like flashing the fugu.

When you flash future ROM leaks (not sure how many more are going to happen now that ICS is getting leaked from Samsung for the Galaxy S II) you need to disable lagfix before flashing. To do this, create a folder Voodoo (might already be on the SDCard) and create a file called "disable-lagfix" (without quotes) and reboot. It will go through and change back to RFS and then its safe to upgrade. When that is done, hopefully Samurai has been updated for the new build and your done.

For superuser, I read somewhere that you can flash the Samurai kernel and then go to market and install superuser and your rooted. Have not tried this method so I cannot verify it works.
    Hi Nakedninja, just wanted to thank you and say I apreciate all the help you gave me. I can confirm that just installing superuser will root the phone with the samurai kernel installed. Also, I believe the CWM comes with lagfix disable so I should be able to tackle any future updates. Again, thanks!

Ah...I understand now.

So, then, can we expect that the 2.3.5 version you have posted here is the last we'll see for the Captivate?

MIUI is not a Samsung ROM. MIUI and CM are both based on 2.3.7 and soon to be released (hopefully) ICS 4.0.3. Instructions for installing MIUI or CM7 & CM9 is different than installing stock AT&T ROM found in the first post. Please see that forum thread for further details.

Quote Originally Posted by caricell View Post
    Ah...I understand now.

So, then, can we expect that the 2.3.5 version you have posted here is the last we'll see for the Captivate?
    Its possible KK4 is the last. The I9000 (Euro version) just received an update the other day that incorporates IceCreamSandwich features in Gingerbread and updated the firmware to 2.3.6, maybe they might do one for us too :D

I was talking to support at Samsung doing an RMA on my tablet and he said unofficially Samsung might release ICS for older devices next summer. Sounds great but I think its unlikely.

I love how AT&T makes me eat my words. Today is official release date of Gingerbread for the Captivate (I897). Instructs can be found here SAMSUNG but you need to make sure your either on eclair (JF6) or froyo (KB1). This method is for Kies Mini. The build is KK4 which is the same as the first post, but the build date is a month and half apart so I will be updating the OP as soon as I get my hands on a flashable version.

FROM THE LINK IN PREVIOUS POST

Release Notes Android Gingerbread Highlights New User Features
    1. Download Management.
    2. Intuitive Text Input.
      • New layout for larger fonts and easy inputs
      • Word prediction. Multi-touch for numerical input (Shift + Numbers)
      • One-touch Word Selection and Copy/Past
    UI Improvements
    1. Fixed Top-menu in Gmail.
    2. Voice Search added into the search categories.
    3. Vertical play mode added for YouTube.
    New Developer Features
    1. Enhancements for Game.
      • 3D Graphic driver updates
      • Additional Khronos standard such as OpenSL ES, EGL for better multimedia performance
      • Concurrent Garbage Collector technology imbedded to reduce lags in playing games

I love how AT&T makes me eat my words. Today is official release date of Gingerbread for the Captivate (I897). Instructs can be found here SAMSUNG but you need to make sure your either on eclair (JF6) or froyo (KB1). This method is for Kies Mini. The build is KK4 which is the same as the first post, but the build date is a month and half apart so I will be updating the OP as soon as I get my hands on a flashable version.

Ok, Ninja..so some quick questions:

1) If we are already on 2.35 stock (from your first post), should we *upgrade* to the AT&T/Samsung newly released version? What if any, are the benefits of doing this?
    2) If we are on 2.3.5 stock, *CAN* we upgrade to the AT&T/Samsung version without first flashing back to froyo?
    3) If we are going to upgrade to the AT&T version, should we uses the Kies mini procedure they outline, or should we wait for a flashable version that you are trying to put together, and if so, would we use ODIN?.

Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by caricell View Post

Ok, Ninja..so some quick questions:

1) If we are already on 2.35 stock (from your first post), should we *upgrade* to the AT&T/Samsung newly released version? What if any, are the benefits of doing this?
    2) If we are on 2.3.5 stock, *CAN* we upgrade to the AT&T/Samsung version without first flashing back to froyo?
    3) If we are going to upgrade to the AT&T version, should we uses the Kies mini procedure they outline, or should we wait for a flashable version that you are trying to put together, and if so, would we use ODIN?.

Thanks in advance!!
    I saw people posting that when they plug in with KK4 build it tells them they are already updated. I still have not been able to update using Kies mini, I HATE the app. Name:  kies error.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  51.8 KB Have not been able to update due to that error. I have tried JF6 and KB1 like the FAQ stated and just tried KF1 and no luck. I did download from the kies server directly like the leaks but I have not been able to decrypt the zip yet. I've spent the last 8 hours trying to get something working for the update. If anyone knows how to decrypt, please share :D. Once I get it all working I'll be updating.

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links