Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is a discussion on Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Originally Posted by djwordnyc Hello Nakedninja42, First thank you for posting these detailed instructions. I currently have Stock Rom Gingerbread 2.3.5 with 2.6.35.7-I897UCKK4 kernal, do ...

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by djwordnyc View Post
    Hello Nakedninja42,

First thank you for posting these detailed instructions. I currently have Stock Rom Gingerbread 2.3.5 with 2.6.35.7-I897UCKK4 kernal, do I start with step 4? I am bit confused :confused: as I went from Froyo to Gingerbread 2.3.5.

Please advise if poster 'Caricell' steps are indeed the correct steps for those of us with the stock rom of Gingerbread 2.3.5.

Thank you!!!
    Caricell instructions are correct. In first post, start from step 5. (made an edit in first post to make it clearer)
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    Caricell instructions are correct. In first post, start from step 5. (made an edit in first post to make it clearer)
    Thanks Ninja I will try this now!

Ninja it WORKS!!! Thank you again!!!!

I re-installed Busybox, however I am being asked to update a 'new' version of the SU binary, is that normal after rooting with this method?

Quote Originally Posted by djwordnyc View Post
    Ninja it WORKS!!! Thank you again!!!!

I re-installed Busybox, however I am being asked to update a 'new' version of the SU binary, is that normal after rooting with this method?
    yes, the superuser app should be updated as well as su.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

So, I go to root my phone, and I cant get the USB drivers working on my laptop! Ive uninstalled, reinstalled, tried different versions, manually installed the driver....no matter what I do, Windows says the driver has not installed properly. Ive removed the battery...tried putting in USB Debug mode...tried putting in USB storage mode..you name it....the USB drivers will NOT install. I tried BOTH USB ports on the machine, and two different cables. I can get the phone into download mode with no issue, but since the drivers wont install, ODIN wont see the phone either.

I have a toshiba laptop with win 7 64bit. I've had the drivers working before...thats how I was able to flash 2.3.5.

Any ideas?

Where did you get your drivers from? Try from Samsung go to software and install the drivers.

If you already did that, download the Kies mini and install the drivers in options.

One step ahead of ya, Ninja. Installed Kies Mini and that correctly installed the drivers.

I rooted. I reinstalled the stock KK4. I installed superuser and busybox. All appears to be working fine.

Now I just have to learn how to remove the AT&T bloatware.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by caricell View Post
    One step ahead of ya, Ninja. Installed Kies Mini and that correctly installed the drivers.

I rooted. I reinstalled the stock KK4. I installed superuser and busybox. All appears to be working fine.

Now I just have to learn how to remove the AT&T bloatware.

Thanks!
    Check out titanium backup in the market. Backup apps and removes unwanted system apps.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Hi ori

1) First, know that CM ROMs are built for I9000 phones and ported for use on the I897 since the two are "almost" identical. First difference is lack of Noise Suppression so the clarity is not as great as if you were using a stock Samsung ROM. Which brings to the next point about modems. If you are going to flash a CM ROM, need to flash compatible modem. If you use an I897 modem, most likely you'll sound like your in a tunnel or just have poor call quality, this is due to the lack of the Noise Suppression driver support (I think) in I9000 ROMs (not just CM). For CM9, look at modems compatible with ICS. (*side note that Corn I9000 kernel is the first kernel I seen have noise suppression support. I have not tested it personally but it looks like it might be possible to use regular AT&T modems with I9000 ROMs. The kernel only supports Gingerbread ROMs atm)
    2) Cyanogen ROMs are always quicker imo :D. But it might not feel that way for others.
    3) I don't think the micro SD card has any effect unless is a very low class (1 or 2) and your using it for a lot of system resources like camera and video camera.

Best thing I can say for learning about CM9 is to read the forums. I know hundreds of pages can be tedious, so read the first 10 - 20 for learning history and than the last 10 - 20 for current issues. Google or thread search all the rest and read the FAQ in the first post.
    Hi Ninja,
    I found the following thread about CM9 Build 14 for captivate: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1363760
    Since you have updated to CM9 I would like to ask you a few questions about it, before I upgrade:
    1. Is there a kernel integrated into the Rom they uploaded? or do I have do download it myself? if so, then from where?...
    2. Which bootloaders do I need? GB or else? and where do I get them from? (if needed at all)
    3. Since the CM9 thread is for captivate owners, does this Rom includes a Modem that would fit? or do I have to install it myself? if so, from where?
    4. Is there anything else important that I have to know before I upgrade to CM9 from illuminance 3? (it's almost identical to Stock kk4 with samuri kernel)
    5. Can I make a nandroid backup with the samurai kernel before iI upgrade?
    6. If you could write me a step by step process (including links to files I would need to download for the upgrade) - I would highly appreciate it!! ( you actually did the same upgrade after you finished checking out the official KK4 lately)

Thanks in advance man
    Ori

Quote Originally Posted by ori26 View Post
    Hi Ninja,
    I found the following thread about CM9 Build 14 for captivate: [ROM][ICS][IML74K] teamhacksung's ICS Port for Captivate (BUILD 14) - xda-developers
    Since you have updated to CM9 I would like to ask you a few questions about it, before I upgrade:
    1. Is there a kernel integrated into the Rom they uploaded? or do I have do download it myself? if so, then from where?...
    2. Which bootloaders do I need? GB or else? and where do I get them from? (if needed at all)
    3. Since the CM9 thread is for captivate owners, does this Rom includes a Modem that would fit? or do I have to install it myself? if so, from where?
    4. Is there anything else important that I have to know before I upgrade to CM9 from illuminance 3? (it's almost identical to Stock kk4 with samuri kernel)
    5. Can I make a nandroid backup with the samurai kernel before iI upgrade?
    6. If you could write me a step by step process (including links to files I would need to download for the upgrade) - I would highly appreciate it!! ( you actually did the same upgrade after you finished checking out the official KK4 lately)

Thanks in advance man
    Ori
    Hi ori,

I want to express first that this thread is not for Cyanogen ROM and the topic needs to stay on the Samsung stock Gingerbread OS. If you have future question about the ROM, please ask in the respective forum.

1) Kernel is integrated with the ROM and installs when you flash CM.
    2) Both gingerbread and froyo works with CM. Does not matter which one you are on but I've seen arguments saying gingerbread is better without any real hard support on why.
    3) This subject you will need to read A LOT on and many threads in the xda dev section that covers this. Modem is a tricky subject because what is great for one user might not work for another. The ROM includes a modem.
    4) Read and follow the install instructions setup in the CM9 thread. They work and if you have any issues, you might have read something wrong. It works but bugs are still in the OS so they ask people not to complain since this is not even beta.
    5) You can make nandroid backup but I can not confirm that it works on restore as I never use it myself.
    6) As I put before, read read read. Its all in the first post on that CM9 thread.

I do not want to sound rude, I really enjoy helping others where I can. But this thread is not for other ROMs, its for the Samsung official gingerbread. Most of your questions have been answered many many times in the thread link you posted.

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links