Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is a discussion on Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; I updated to 2.3.5 with your method listed in the updated OP, I also rooted, reinstalled from my backups, removed the bloatware, but I need ...

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

Junior Member cornbread_attdroids's Avatar
    I updated to 2.3.5 with your method listed in the updated OP, I also rooted, reinstalled from my backups, removed the bloatware, but I need to unroot. I've searched on here as well as xda. Perhaps I'm just an idiot, but I can't seem to find how to unroot short of going back to complete stock 2.3.5. Is there a way to unroot? update.zip? I'm a noob. I've seen how to unroot previous releases, just not 2.3.5. Is there a difference?

I need to unroot to allow "GOOD for enterprise" to work.

Quote Originally Posted by cornbread View Post
    I updated to 2.3.5 with your method listed in the updated OP, I also rooted, reinstalled from my backups, removed the bloatware, but I need to unroot. I've searched on here as well as xda. Perhaps I'm just an idiot, but I can't seem to find how to unroot short of going back to complete stock 2.3.5. Is there a way to unroot? update.zip? I'm a noob. I've seen how to unroot previous releases, just not 2.3.5. Is there a difference?

I need to unroot to allow "GOOD for enterprise" to work.
    I saw your post on asking this question in the thread you started, I had been looking around myself but have not found anything specific for the Captivate.

1. You can try Supercurio's Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, but I think that does not work for our phones because of the systems RFS format. Its a great idea and perfect for your situation because it does not remove root but masks it from any app that will not work because of root.
    2. I found this thread on the amazon kindle fire section for unrooting using adb. How to Unroot Kindle Fire! [Win/Mac/Linux][Video] - xda-developers
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

Junior Member cornbread_attdroids's Avatar
    In true noob fashion I searched the market and also found "Hide root" and "Ginger Unroot" Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper specifically says it will not work with samsung phones updated over kies or odin. I may try one of these. Both are $1.

Hello, I'm new to this rooting thing, I have the Samsung captivate and I really like it

I have 2.2 rooted with a one click easy root, I did this when the froyo 2.2 at&2 update came out. I still have the stock 2.2 just rooted with the one click program from the captivate forum. I then removed the at&t bloatware that was slowing down the phone, I did the root just to make 2.2 run more smooth and faster and to save battery life. I'm kind of crazy about any apps running. during a day at work I make sure no apps are running in the back ground and I freeze all other apps I don't need to use at the moment. My phone also runs fast and good all the time with no lag or glitches, everything work great. my stock battery can last about 2 days because of all this. The battery was not good on the first stock 2.1. I had the charge it all the time.

after this long story to get to the point now. when I got the text from at&t about the gingerbread update, I was happy about it, but now I fear to update it. my phone is working so good now. If I do an at&t update with the Kies program, would this hurt the phone because its stock 2.2 just rooted with the bloat removed. and could I then re-root the new gingerbread with an easy one click the same way. I only do it to save battery life. I don't know what flashing roms is all about, I like to have a nice running phone with no lag and good for a full day. Gingerbread sounds like fun with a new settings style and a new Look. Should I just keep what I have now or do this update and see what happens, will this brick my phone or will everything work fine.
    thank you for your help.

Hello,
    Once again I want to ask something.
    In order to Upgrade to KK4 from my I9000 software installed on a I897, I have to go back to JF6 Ecalir 2.1 first of all, right?
    I can do this usin Odin one click, right?
    Then back on stock I have to upgrade to KK4, and for that I can use Odin, Odin one click or Kies? I can use the one I prefer?
    I also understand that if the product code of my I897 has been changed, I can not use Kies for upgrading... correct?
    But without changing the prod code I still can use Odin or Odin one click, thats right?
    If I use Odin or Odin one click, do I have to go to Froyo 2.2 first? or I can go directly to KK4 GB?
    Thanx for your help...
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by MR_SMILES View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this rooting thing, I have the Samsung captivate and I really like it

I have 2.2 rooted with a one click easy root, I did this when the froyo 2.2 at&2 update came out. I still have the stock 2.2 just rooted with the one click program from the captivate forum. I then removed the at&t bloatware that was slowing down the phone, I did the root just to make 2.2 run more smooth and faster and to save battery life. I'm kind of crazy about any apps running. during a day at work I make sure no apps are running in the back ground and I freeze all other apps I don't need to use at the moment. My phone also runs fast and good all the time with no lag or glitches, everything work great. my stock battery can last about 2 days because of all this. The battery was not good on the first stock 2.1. I had the charge it all the time.

after this long story to get to the point now. when I got the text from at&t about the gingerbread update, I was happy about it, but now I fear to update it. my phone is working so good now. If I do an at&t update with the Kies program, would this hurt the phone because its stock 2.2 just rooted with the bloat removed. and could I then re-root the new gingerbread with an easy one click the same way. I only do it to save battery life. I don't know what flashing roms is all about, I like to have a nice running phone with no lag and good for a full day. Gingerbread sounds like fun with a new settings style and a new Look. Should I just keep what I have now or do this update and see what happens, will this brick my phone or will everything work fine.
    thank you for your help.
    It is really up to you. I enjoyed using Gingerbread since the leaks happened last summer and felt that it made the phone run the best it could for the now "limited" hardware (compared to the dual-core phones out now). The battery life I had on froyo was no where near what Gingerbread was able to give me. I am running Ice Cream Sandwich and it feels like a whole new phone that froyo or gingerbread could not compete with (flashing ICS is not for those unfamiliar with flashing custom ROMs, its still alpha so it has bugs).

You should not have any issues updating your phone using the method I listed in the first post, its based off the official firmware that was released from AT&T. If your not comfortable with flashing using ODIN, Kies mini has the same exact update, and you can use my method for rooting. Super-one-click from some threads I read does not work for Gingerbread.

Quote Originally Posted by ebeltran View Post
    Hello,
    Once again I want to ask something.
    In order to Upgrade to KK4 from my I9000 software installed on a I897, I have to go back to JF6 Ecalir 2.1 first of all, right?
    I can do this usin Odin one click, right?
    Then back on stock I have to upgrade to KK4, and for that I can use Odin, Odin one click or Kies? I can use the one I prefer?
    I also understand that if the product code of my I897 has been changed, I can not use Kies for upgrading... correct?
    But without changing the prod code I still can use Odin or Odin one click, thats right?
    If I use Odin or Odin one click, do I have to go to Froyo 2.2 first? or I can go directly to KK4 GB?
    Thanx for your help...
    Regards,
    I am going to respond to each question individually.

1. In order to flash AT&T firmware, you need AT&T bootloaders. The easiest and safest method is flashing back to JF6. You can flash over the I9000 bootloaders, but you might experience issues that we can not foresee. You can use the Odin-one-click for getting back to JF6.

2. After your on stock, Kies mini will not upgrade you automatically to KK4 (2.3.5 firmware) from JF6 (2.1). You will have to go to KB1 (2.2) from Kies mini to do the full upgrade process. You can certainly try upgrade straight to the KK4 from the first post, but I do recommend flashing the KB1.

3. If the product code has changed, it will not recognize your firmware when you plug it in. The link I provided gives details on how to change it back to AT&T. You might not have to worry about this, but its a possibility since the previous owner did flash custom ROMs. If the product code is not a concern (it only conflicts with Kies mini and nothing else), you can use the files in the first post to upgrade.

4. Go directly to from where? The I9000 ROM installed? You can but I recommend the safe steps if you are unfamiliar with having to troubleshoot a soft brick.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    It is really up to you. I enjoyed using Gingerbread since the leaks happened last summer and felt that it made the phone run the best it could for the now "limited" hardware (compared to the dual-core phones out now). The battery life I had on froyo was no where near what Gingerbread was able to give me. I am running Ice Cream Sandwich and it feels like a whole new phone that froyo or gingerbread could not compete with (flashing ICS is not for those unfamiliar with flashing custom ROMs, its still alpha so it has bugs).

You should not have any issues updating your phone using the method I listed in the first post, its based off the official firmware that was released from AT&T. If your not comfortable with flashing using ODIN, Kies mini has the same exact update, and you can use my method for rooting. Super-one-click from some threads I read does not work for Gingerbread.

-- If I use your method listed on the first page, will that remove my data, such as my apps and contacts and text messages and things as that, If i can remember right the last update with kies did not remove anything, but I was not rooted then and I am now, so things are not the be same as they was, I think because I'm already rooted with froyo I might have some problems because some of the apps I use need the phone rooted and the att bloat is all removed. what do you think is the best move for me ?

Quote Originally Posted by MR_SMILES View Post
    -- If I use your method listed on the first page, will that remove my data, such as my apps and contacts and text messages and things as that, If i can remember right the last update with kies did not remove anything, but I was not rooted then and I am now, so things are not the be same as they was, I think because I'm already rooted with froyo I might have some problems because some of the apps I use need the phone rooted and the att bloat is all removed. what do you think is the best move for me ?
    It shouldn't erase anything when you upgrade. Its the same file used by kies mini for the upgrade. You will lose root after it is done, but I have instructions for rooting in the first post. There are apps in marketplace like titanium backup to backup data apps (do not recommend backing up system stuff like wifi) and SMS + backup for those just in case something happens moment.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nakedninja42 View Post
    It shouldn't erase anything when you upgrade. Its the same file used by kies mini for the upgrade. You will lose root after it is done, but I have instructions for rooting in the first post. There are apps in marketplace like titanium backup to backup data apps (do not recommend backing up system stuff like wifi) and SMS + backup for those just in case something happens moment.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

This all seems like a hard thing to do, my phone is working great on froyo rooted with no apps running all the time, and the battery is great, I dont want to screw it up. I dont want any gliches or errors , just want a fast fun phone, to make calls and text and run apps. I would like to use the new gingerbread, just dont want to brick my phone. please let me know what there is a super-one click because that is easy lol. thank you for all your help, I'm just lost and dont know what to do.

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links