Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is a discussion on Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; This is not a custom ROM but stock Gingerbread 2.3.5 for the Captivate. I wanted to share with everyone the way to get the official ...

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

Flashing Official AT&T Stock Gingerbread; build KK4, 2.3.5 with Rooting Instructions

This is not a custom ROM but stock Gingerbread 2.3.5 for the Captivate. I wanted to share with everyone the way to get the official stock Gingerbread for Captivate. This is not an I9000 port, this is stock gingerbread for Samsung Captivate!!

THE TWO BIGGEST THING TO KNOW IS IF ON I9000 YOU NEED TO FLASH BACK TO ORIGINAL STOCK BECAUSE BOOTLOADERS ARE DIFFERENT AND TO REVERT TO RFS IF ON EXT4!!!

If there is any confusion or something is not clear, ASK!

Samsung Kies mini upgrade instructions FAQ
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...1&fm_seq=24219

Code:
    Release Notes Android Gingerbread Highlights New User Features
    1. Download Management.
    2. Intuitive Text Input.
      • New layout for larger fonts and easy inputs
      • Word prediction. Multi-touch for numerical input (Shift + Numbers)
      • One-touch Word Selection and Copy/Past
    UI Improvements
    1. Fixed Top-menu in Gmail.
    2. Voice Search added into the search categories.
    3. Vertical play mode added for YouTube.
    New Developer Features
    1. Enhancements for Game.
      • 3D Graphic driver updates
      • Additional Khronos standard such as OpenSL ES, EGL for better multimedia performance
      • Concurrent Garbage Collector technology imbedded to reduce lags in playing games
    I personally always remove my external memory and SIM card before using ODIN. It is not needed as people will obviously post and neither is doing master clear. I do these steps just to make sure I eliminate any possible issues that can occur during flashing.

**If looking root instructions, see step 5**

** NEED TO BE ON STOCK ROM KB1 or KB2**

1) Download KK4 Firmware

2)
    (Optional) Flash back to stock JF6 w/ odin one-click and do a master clear. Update to KB1 using Kies mini.

3) Put phone in download mode (http://samsungcaptivate.wikia.com/wi..._Download_Mode)

4) Flash Gingerbread KK4 using Odin (see image attached)

5) How to root:
    Option 1:
    1: Download root
    and open ODIN (ODIN link above)

2: Place tar file is PDA slot in ODIN (See image below to see PDA slot)
    3: Download mode (Hold Vol Up & Down and plug in USB)
    4: Flash
    5: Boot once, (it will install root) shut down.
    6: Reflash the original KK4 kernel using ODIN with steps 2, 3, & 4
    (If you do not change the kernel back to KK4 after root, you could have wifi issues)
    Code:
    KK4 stock kernel:
    http://www.multiupload.com/55ARMF63KP or
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mbbpwmqx33n5ctm
    Option 2: (I do not give support answers for option 2, see kernel thread for any questions!)
    1: Download corn kernel from mtcarey http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1294477
    2: Flash with ODIN
    3: Use three button to get into recovery and select the root option.
    4: Download Superuser from market
    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    5: Any flashing or support question for option 2 should be asked there. I will not respond to these questions in this forum.

6) (Optional) Enable apps install from other sources: Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources - enable option

7) (Optional) Update Superuser from market https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

8) (Optional) Install busybox from market https://market.android.com/details?id=stericson.busybox&feature=search_result

9) (Optional) Mod the build KK4 framework-res.apk to include the CRT animation. http://www.multiupload.com/EI1XIAXGA2 Move it to /system/framework and change the permission to look like rw-r-r (See image for permission settings) and reboot.

10) ENJOY!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

There's a Odin 1-Click version out now.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Give me a bit and I'll host the file for you... Nice guide!

EDIT: Here's a direct download link if you want to edit it into your guide...

- Download Here -

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Made updates to the OP. Thanks Dorian for hosting the ODIN One-click

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    NP!

I also wanted to add, that if you flash to KF1 you're also flashing the Captivate's new Gingerbread bootloader. The new bootloader is just like Froyo was before it, in that you don't need to flash i9000 bootloaders anymore to switch back and forth from i9000 and Captivate ROM's. You just have to install the ROM packages.

• If you have the Captivate GB Bootloader you can go i9000 ROM or Captivate ROM without having to flash bootloaders.
    • If you have i9000 bootloaders, and plan on staying on Gingerbread for a while, flash the Captivate bootloader. It brings back the 3-button recovery, if you had it to begin with.
    • If you're using CM7, stay on the Froyo bootloader. I'm not sure if it's compatible with any Gingerbread bootloader yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    • If you're using CM7, stay on the Froyo bootloader. I'm not sure if it's compatible with any Gingerbread bootloader yet...
    I tried the Cog5 Beta 1, which is in it's own Odin 1Click. It flashed the bootloaders just fine coming from CM7... But to get back to CM7 I'm flashing back to stock 2.1 first, then the usual initial/gapps/nightly process.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie5000 View Post
    I tried the Cog5 Beta 1, which is in it's own Odin 1Click. It flashed the bootloaders just fine coming from CM7... But to get back to CM7 I'm flashing back to stock 2.1 first, then the usual initial/gapps/nightly process.
    Ahh.. Ok. I think I'll try it with Captivate GB bootloaders later on tonight... I'll let you guys know how it goes!

On the CM7 thing, the Nightly is the initial and nightly combined. All you need it that and the latest gapps. The nightly contains the kernel, modem, and system image. You can come straight from 2.1 right into the latest nightly.

EDIT: CM7 continuously bootloops into recovery with the Captivate GB bootloader. So that's a no-go with CM7. Stay stock Froyo/Eclair.

So let me get this straight so if we use this odin 1 click we no longer need to flash the i9000 boot loader for your i9000 Rom either Dorian? Just want to know of that's what u mean so i don't accidently mess anything up haha (:

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    EDIT: CM7 continuously bootloops into recovery with the Captivate GB bootloader. So that's a no-go with CM7. Stay stock Froyo/Eclair.
    Yeah I figured that out too. Odin to 2.1, then install a nightly. The last 3 or 4 have to be flashed twice or they also bootloop, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac18 View Post
    So let me get this straight so if we use this odin 1 click we no longer need to flash the i9000 boot loader for your i9000 Rom either Dorian? Just want to know of that's what u mean so i don't accidently mess anything up haha (:
    Correct. The uckf1 bootloaders are made for captivates instead of i9000's so you're better off with them anyway. You get the three button recovery method back with these too. Read this if it will make you more comfortable doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie5000 View Post
    Correct. The uckf1 bootloaders are made for captivates instead of i9000's so you're better off with them anyway. You get the three button recovery method back with these too. Read this if it will make you more comfortable doing it.
    Awesome, that ought to make things so much easier just as they were before then. Thanks for the Clarification, Just wanted to make sure (:

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Ads