- ROM - Dorian's JVP v2.0 Stable - Gingerbread 2.3.4

This is a discussion on - ROM - Dorian's JVP v2.0 Stable - Gingerbread 2.3.4 within the Samsung Captivate Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Originally Posted by Persona Unable to boot into download mode. Have tried many various suggestions from across the web, including xda. Nothing has worked thus ...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: - ROM - Dorian's JVP v2.0 Stable - Gingerbread 2.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by Persona View Post
    Unable to boot into download mode. Have tried many various suggestions from across the web, including xda. Nothing has worked thus far. Any suggestions on what I should do? Maybe attempt to make a jig I read about? When does a person know their phone is bricked forever? Willing to try any new suggestions. Thank you for the support thus far. As for the first 2 steps. Don't think I did them. Wasn't the brighest move in hind sight. Would love to get back to a working station. Ugh!
    Getting into download mode on the I9000 ROM is different than Captivate. The bootloaders for Gingerbread I9000 changed so you need to hold Vol Down and Power to get into download mode. Captivate Gingerbread is Vol Up and Down and put in the USB cable.

It is nearly impossible to brick the Captivate. The only way to do it 100% is if you flashed the wrong bootloaders to the phone. If you follow the steps in the first post, you should't have an issue.

As far as the MTD, I think it's just a label that Cyanogen uses for CM7. Cyanogen ROMS are based off nicknames for the phone. So my guess is that added MTD for the Captivate to separate it from the I9000 Galaxy S release.
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

Question Captivate Boot/Recovery Issues

Not sure that it matters. But was going from Fasty V2.3 to Dorian's ROM. I did skip the first 2 line items in the HowTo that he made. Me being a complete and utter noob. Sorry. Had to kick myself a little. Any how. I have tried every method that I or the internet has to offer to get into download mode. I have tried hitting just the download key and the power button as well as both up down at the same time as power. Unsure what I or it are doing wrong? I do have big hands. So could be over looking something, in the sense of not pressing the buttons properly. But have been through attempting to boot to download mode for almost 24 hours now. I have also tried using Odin 1-click and Odin button fix to try and capture the phone as it boots into the AT&T boot logo. But that hasn't worked either. This whole situation is kinda confusing in the sense that I expected most of the fixes to work. I know this Captivate is fixable. Still too much on the noobish side of the situation. I will however give it another try after posting this comment. I would also like to add that it continually thus far attempts to boot. But a womans voice can be heard stating "backing up data partition" and 2 other sentences. Not sure if this is part of Dorian's ROM. Or the failsafe for the phone. Keep the thoughts and ideas rolling guys and gals! Need all of it I can get!

My wife has a Captivate that I have used to test with booting into download mode. So far works everytime with out a hitch. Really starting to consider either making a jig. Or buying a used replacement till i can figure this fiasco out?

Did you try this? Copy and paste from a site I found...

If the phone does not allow you to go into Download mode after trying the aforementioned steps above you can try this method to "force" it into download mode:
    • Be sure the Samsung USB drivers for the phone are installed on your computer.
    • Remove the Battery, SIM Card, and any External SDCards.
    • With the Battery removed plug the USB into your phone.
    • While holding both the Up+Down Volume button and the USB is plugged into your phone - put the battery back into the back of the phone. You should see the Download mode screen pop up.
    • If you see the Powered Off Charging screen - attempt the above steps again.
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

The sound is from Dorian's rom. You mentioned download key, what do you mean? Is it holding both vol up and vol down? If you are not sure you got both, try hold down the middle of the buttons. I have had quite a few situations I thought my phone was bricked, then somehow I was able to get it to download mode trying different buttons found in googling. Just curious, do you turn off your phone before you try to go to download mode? If not, that may be the reason.

Cool

I have indeed tried both up+down vol keys plus power. Have tried holding only volume down+power. I have taken my sdcard and sim card out as well. I have starting with the phone turned off, usb and battery completely out. As well as the sd and sim card's removed. Plugging in the usb cable, then holding either the volume down only or both up+down volume buttons at the same time plus power. Then putting the battery intot he phone and attempting to get to download mode that way. I have been to XDA and other help forums in search of howto's and general information regarding how to get into download mode. Thus far no matter the method I have attempted, it has not worked. I however have only been actively asking for advice form this forum. Like the idea and content of this site. And too boot XDA blocks me from registering for an account due to me using my wife's captivate tethered to my desktop. Would do the tethering but in a have to situation. Was hoping to have this fixed by mid tomorrow. But looks like I will have to wait till i can either jimmy rig me a jig or buy one pre-made. Wanna see Dorian's ROM on my Captivate. But think when I get it fixed will roll with Cognition. At least till I have learned more about flashing then I currently know. Thanks again for all the help! Very much helps me to get my creative juices flowing, thinking of ways to make my own jig to get this beast working. I even went as far as to take a working PS2 apart this morning looking for the proper parts. However word to the wise? The PS2 in fact does not have the required parts. Now to go looking for supper and some electronic junk on the side of the road. Or rummage thru my other electronics for the required parts.

Even took a TV remote apart looking for parts. Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by chrisleester View Post
    The sound is from Dorian's rom. You mentioned download key, what do you mean? Is it holding both vol up and vol down? If you are not sure you got both, try hold down the middle of the buttons. I have had quite a few situations I thought my phone was bricked, then somehow I was able to get it to download mode trying different buttons found in googling. Just curious, do you turn off your phone before you try to go to download mode? If not, that may be the reason.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    If you can get ADB to recognize your phone... you can do "adb reboot download" and it will reboot into download mode.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Dorian - welcome back. At&T sure must have you working hard. For the good of all of us I'm sure.
    On 7/21 you wrote: "About this one, I'm going to upload a final version of this later this evening. JVP 2.1 Final will have the new market, some UI tweaks, an updated kernel, and several other things." You never told us where to download it from. Please advise.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by vic007 View Post
    Dorian - welcome back. At&T sure must have you working hard. For the good of all of us I'm sure.
    On 7/21 you wrote: "About this one, I'm going to upload a final version of this later this evening. JVP 2.1 Final will have the new market, some UI tweaks, an updated kernel, and several other things." You never told us where to download it from. Please advise.
    Thanks! And yes... lots of work lately.

About the JVP 2.1, I decided to scrap it, and wait for a version with a better working browser. I'm going to post a JVR version here in a few days...

How's JVP been treating you guys?

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

It is excellent! Very stable. I did not quite notice it in the past two months until last Thursday, when I messed up my phone with MIUI. I was in the middle of restoring to JVP and had to go to a group lunch after installed the first package (stock 2.3). In less than 30 minutes my phone turned itself off. The same thing happened many times with stock roms 2.1 and 2.2. But I could not remember it ever happened to JVP or JVH.Great work, Dorian! Looking foward to your next version. Just today I tried to flash CM7 and then decided why bother. This JVP has been working so well.

Thank you for the suggestion Dorian. Will search some info about it. I have tried many things. Unsure if this is one of them. I know I have tried using Odin to catch it during boot. I am guessing this ADB trick would have to be done as the phone boots, most likely at or before the AT&T logo? Thanks again all of you guys!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links