Sim from iPhone?

This is a discussion on Sim from iPhone? within the Samsung Captivate Tech forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Will the Captivate work with the sim card from the iPhone 3GS?...

Thread: Sim from iPhone?

dandroid

Sim from iPhone?

Will the Captivate work with the sim card from the iPhone 3GS?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The iPhone uses a sim card? A removable sim card?

When my parents switched to the 3gs (my dad's an Apple fanboy) they were told that Apple had to transfer the contacts from their old phones to their new ones. Does that help?
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Coolcool View Post
    The iPhone uses a sim card? A removable sim card?

When my parents switched to the 3gs (my dad's an Apple fanboy) they were told that Apple had to transfer the contacts from their old phones to their new ones. Does that help?
    Yes it has a sim card and it is removable. The reason they have to transfer the contacts is if I remember right the iPhone doesn't load sim card contacts. I don't know about the captivate but I know the iPhone sim will work in the Backflip and any other phone I've tired it in.

Oh that makes sense. So it should work then.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewFBlack View Post
    Yes it has a sim card and it is removable. The reason they have to transfer the contacts is if I remember right the iPhone doesn't load sim card contacts. I don't know about the captivate but I know the iPhone sim will work in the Backflip and any other phone I've tired it in.
    Just went through this with my wife, going from 3GS to Captivate.

In keeping with Apple's closed world, it will IMPORT from SIM, but will not EXPORT to SIM.
    I had to go through TREMENDOUS hoops just to get her contacts out...
    Had to install office, with outlook, and enable contact sync with outlook, then sync it up, then do .vcf exports to the Captivate in hdd mode, and then Cappy imported the .vcf's just fine.

F'ing Apple...

If you're trying to have 2 phones, ie an iPhone and an Android, so you can play/switch as desired, I don't think it will work.
    Once my wife got the Cappy, the same SIM from the 3GS no longer worked for data on the 3GS - plans are incompatible (ie, iPhone data vs smartphone data).
    It literally comes back with some data error about provisioning.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Just went through this with my wife, going from 3GS to Captivate.

In keeping with Apple's closed world, it will IMPORT from SIM, but will not EXPORT to SIM.
    I had to go through TREMENDOUS hoops just to get her contacts out...
    Had to install office, with outlook, and enable contact sync with outlook, then sync it up, then do .vcf exports to the Captivate in hdd mode, and then Cappy imported the .vcf's just fine.

F'ing Apple...

If you're trying to have 2 phones, ie an iPhone and an Android, so you can play/switch as desired, I don't think it will work.
    Once my wife got the Cappy, the same SIM from the 3GS no longer worked for data on the 3GS - plans are incompatible (ie, iPhone data vs smartphone data).
    It literally comes back with some data error about provisioning.

T
    If you use google sync to get sync your contacts to both phones it will work

Sharkonwheels

Well actually you can switch back and forth between a regular smart phone and the iPhone. BUT, every time you do you have to call at&t and have them change the data plan and push a new voice mail profile to your phone. It is a real pain in the butt.

On the contact list if you have it in Outlook you can do an export to a CSV file then import it to the On-Line Google telephone book. Once in google anything you change in your phone contact or the other way around will auto-sync. Google Contacts <==> Captivate Contacts and it is all transparent to the user, very cool. And the Google email is free and so is their on-line Contacts and Calendar.

By the way even if you could use the SIM to do the transfer it will probably not be what you want. They - folks in the stores, customer support will all tell you just Xfer everything to the SIM and then move it (you found that didn't work well with the iPhone) but here is the part they don't tell you the SIM contact transfer will only copy "Name" and "Number". All the other stuff that is part of a smart phone PIM get left behind i.e. addresses, notes, etc.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links